• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot sauce label is finished, need feedback

Ok so I finished the label for my hot sauce. I had to change it from "weapons of ass destruction" due to the name already being used. So I changed it to "total rectal failure". Give me some feedback on the label.
1d1f850077520f0e8df8610fdd76b5ae.jpg

If the goal is to eventually sell the sauce, set yourself up as a business in regards to the label layout.  Get a company/business name, then the sauce name, and also the commonly recognised name of what it is (ie "hot sauce").  There's also a lot more info that needs to go on the label like weight/measure, contact info.

This is an old photo, the 2 white labels are outdated.  The rest follow a theme. 
TC products 2012.JPG

juanitos said:
feel like the name should pop from the rest of the label. needs outline or different color or something.

Want to ditto juanitos.  The name should pop.  Most paint programs have a stoke color and a fill color.  Maybe change stoke to white so it outlines the fill?

Nice mock up. I like the clear but deteriorating label and the newspaper effect of the cloud.

Handy-labeler

Same folks that make the HandyFiller.☺

That works with professionally printed labels on a roll. But that's way down the road for most folks.

Get some quality laser print stock on 8x11 sheets, do up the graphics however you can, use Avery or whoever's templates, load it onto a flash drive and have your local printshop.officedespot.staples print up what you need.

rebman2005 said:
When people use clip art, do they pay for it, have it drawn up or just take an image off of google and risk copyright violations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your talking about a professional sauce maker, they're going to have to pay for the rights to use anything someone else produced or custom design it on their own. It all has to be above board if you don't want a law suit coming your way.

Hobbiests can use stuff off the internet but I would make sure it's from a royalty free source. Especially if your going to publish what you make on Facebook or other places where it will be seen by the masses. There are several that I've seen that have a really low annual fee and then you can use what you want.

Mind you this is JMHO

If you alter the image enough from the original (and I mean pretty drastically) then you can get around copyright issues. It's a case by case basis, but my mushroom cloud is pretty generic and nondescript. That, coupled with the halftone newspaper treatment I applied should keep it in the clear.

I figured it was assumed but if you like my version, feel free to use it. Let me know if you need any tweaks too.

Back