• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot sauce label is finished, need feedback

Ok so I finished the label for my hot sauce. I had to change it from "weapons of ass destruction" due to the name already being used. So I changed it to "total rectal failure". Give me some feedback on the label.
1d1f850077520f0e8df8610fdd76b5ae.jpg

I'm a gator fan, too!  Do I get a bottle?   I made deep fried gator nuggets for the Bayou Classic throwdown, they were delicious!  

;)  ps- just kidding, about the bottle~  I just got a package of assorted hot stuff, I'm good for a while~  ;)  But we did like the gator!!!

Ok here's the last and final one... I know I don't have the weight or contact info but this is something else I came up with... If it don't work I'll try something else...

7550932af62d015d10f8c7bb2688ceae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you squashed the image of the reaper vertically, makes it look strange. Also consider how much of the image will appear on the front of the bottle. Lots of the text will not be visible as it will be off to the sides.

This is looking better than your first two labels though.

Scoville DeVille said:
Novelty. At best.

Sauce makers putting out a good product, and that are proud of it, don't try to sell it with outrageous names and graphics but, informative labeling.

I wouldn't buy it. I see labels like that and I already know what it tastes like.

Please don't take this as being snarky, it's just my 2¢

I beg to differ, Having eye catching graphics helps someone stop and wonder what the sauce is all about......i've stopped many a times cuz a package or nice looking label caught my eye and had me look more at it and try it out, if i like what all i see on it. 1st thing people look at if they don't know or recognize ur products is the labeling, but there are people who go too overboard and put way too much on something thinking it looks cool or something.
rebman2005 said:
Ok here's the last and final one... I know I don't have the weight or contact info but this is something else I came up with... If it don't work I'll try something else...

Yea not very catchy or eye candyish......

rebman2005 said:

It comes back to what rebman is looking for or using the label for.  For a hobby sauce for friends and family? Sure!  It works for what he wants! 

A small little graphics critique (but don't take my word for it as I'm not a graphics designer....) 
I would enlarge the central Grimm to fill most of the space on the central panel.  Put Cause of Death on the left and Other Stuff on the right in vertical text blocks. 

I get the Laughing Skeleton, and it seems to work on the label.  Keep that- 

If it's for a hobby sauce only for Friends and Family, I would-

Shrink the GORP in width, and make taller (so most of it is visible when looking at the bottle)
move all the text to the Left and Right
call out any subingredients that may be allergens
Make the central reaper imageTaller

I think that would do good for a hobby sauce label.

Again, if you are looking to set yourself up as a legit licensed professional sauce maker....The product needs a business/brand name that would be used for all of your products from here on out.  If this is the only sauce you want to make for friends and family, you're close for having a really good label.  I'm sure other graphics pros could weigh in on a bunch of stuff, but what the heck!  It's a hobby sauce and it's supposed to be fun!

Thanks for sharing and HAVE FUN!

yea, just lookng at this before posting....definitely put Cause of Death text box on the left, Other Ingredients text box on the right, resize the Grimm image and Name font....

jmho~
edit- sorry for the re-re-peat....  reason #496 why not to re-wine while posting on THP.  :lol:  :cool:

Not knowing the size of the label or seeing it on the bottle it's hard to tell but there's one thing that caught my eye. LDHS told me once back when I was first starting to make labels and thinking about possibly doing this professionally that you should have your label set up so that the central, center portion of your bottle is view-able without having to turn the bottle as it's the portion that would show sitting on the shelf. The reaper graphic and the name seem elongated such that someone looking at it would have to turn the bottle to see it all. So, what salsalady said

salsalady said:

It comes back to what rebman is looking for or using the label for.  For a hobby sauce for friends and family? Sure!  It works for what he wants! 

A small little graphics critique (but don't take my word for it as I'm not a graphics designer....) 
I would enlarge the central Grimm to fill most of the space on the central panel.  Put Cause of Death on the left and Other Stuff on the right in vertical text blocks. 

I get the Laughing Skeleton, and it seems to work on the label.  Keep that- 

If it's for a hobby sauce only for Friends and Family, I would-

Shrink the GORP in width, and make taller (so most of it is visible when looking at the bottle)
move all the text to the Left and Right
*** call out any subingredients that may be allergens
Make the central reaper imageTaller

Doing this would also help to balance out the label, you wouldn't have that big zone of blank space. Could also allow you to pull in the laughing skeletons to the lower corners of the reaper graphic and give you space to put in a heat level graphic or statement on one side and please refrigerate and bottle size on the other.

JMHO though.

Oh and what she said about calling out possible allergens, great suggestion!

Cheers Bro,

You have display copy and body copy. Display copy would include the name of your sauce, and it's okay to have a more illustrative font for that. As far as body copy, which includes your ingredients, it should be a simpler and more legible font.

Also I'm not sure about the decision to have the different ingredient lists on opposite sides of the bottle.

1zoHkqw.jpg

Made a mockup on a bottle for you to give you an idea.

I think the text might not be perfectly centered... maybe check to see if there's an extra space after 'ghost'

Back