• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot weather capsicum pubescens?

I might have to try growing one as an indoor plant and move it outside in October.  Our summers here are brutal and I have no hope of growing any outdoors.  We can't grow lettuce except from March to June and then again in October to December. 

Beerswimmer said:
I might have to try growing one as an indoor plant and move it outside in October.  Our summers here are brutal and I have no hope of growing any outdoors.  We can't grow lettuce except from March to June and then again in October to December. 

They told me that I couldn't grow them here, either...  But guess what...

It's been my (limited to this season, this thread) experience that, in hot climates, they do best when they are in filtered light to shade, for most hours of the day.  Mine gets about 2-3 hours of direct light, during the latest parts of the day.  Other than that, it's completely in a shadow.

It's hot, and super muggy here, every day that it isn't raining.  If I can do it, I bet you can, too.

I have several others that I'm growing, that I haven't shared here.  The one that I'm posting now, is the best of the bunch.  However, I have some outside in raised beds, that I started in-ground from seed.  They are doing well.  Albeit, in the shadow of a plumeria, which again, only lets them see the sun for 2-3 hours per day.

I don't have an area that is shaded for more than a few hours at a time, but I do have some 40% shadecloth that I can try and use.  I need to order some seeds and see if I can get a few to pop. 

I would recommend starting them indoors.  I've not been able to get them to germinate outdoors past July, unless they were sown into the ground they're growing in.  Even at that, it was shaded.  But I know they'd probably germinate at near perfect rates, if I had started in cups indoors.

I usually germinate my supers in a germ chamber with a heating pad.  Do you think I should just try these at room temp, 71-2F?

Damn, you keep your house that cold?  LOL

I think I'd try that.  I'm not a fan of heat pads for seed germination.  But that's just me.  I'm kinda known for being a contrarian like that. :D

Plus, these seeds seems like they'd probably be OK with a slightly cooler ambient temp.  If nothing else, it would be a good piece of the puzzle to help fill in, if you don't mind risking a couple seeds.

I've had no problem starting rocotos at lower-mid 70's temps or 10F warmer on a pad. Just 3 weeks go I germinated some Aji Largo Rocotos in a cupboard using the baggie and paper towel method and went 4 for 4. Ambient temps were maybe 2 degrees warmer than yours.  All popped roots within 7 days and i moved to soil.  Threw hooks in another 4-6 days. I shouldn't think you'd have any problem.

I really like roc's.  Hope they do well for you.

I'm pretty sure that we all know what this means...

30410699448_d6c0891b7b_z.jpg

Mine didnt take off until we got some really cool nights. Best pods i got were super late and many of the other plants were close to death. ATM i got 2 mini reds inside to try again next year. Get them out early since they appear to tolerate cool night time temps fine. I would swear they actually do better with cool to cold nights. Next year i will also try Aji Oro but im not going to start those for a couple more months.

I have to say... This variety of peppers really takes patience in our climate. It will not grow here in direct sunlight. This particular plant gets about 3 hours per day. It's completely shaded the rest of the time. It wasn't until we started to get cooler night temps that it would hold flowers. Put them on, yes. Retain them? No way.

Aji Oro was doing great, until broad mites showed up. I rescued it with weekly Neem treatment. But it's got a long road back.

If any Floridians are thinking of growing these, hit me up. I'll tell you everything I know.

It wasn't until we started to get cooler night temps that it would hold flowers. Put them on, yes. Retain them? No way.

Exact same thing here. I probably lost over 95% of my flowers and tiny pods. My buddy in Idaho grew the plants from the same seeds i used. He got tons of ripe rocotos in a much shorter season than mine. His climate is drier and nights are much cooler than mine.

Latest update:

Lots of almost golf ball sized pods.  Plant is starting to take on a "bushy" habit.  It sends up vertical branches, which then fold over under their own weight, before putting on girth that can sustain uprightness.  Hard to tell from the pics, but the plant is pretty good size.  The planter is half of a 55 gallon polydrum. (under the wooden facade)  The top of the plant is almost 5 feet off the ground.  I'm going to install supports in the ceiling to help keep it upright at the new growth.  I'm still totally convinced that our climate is 100% wrong for these peppers, as I have to put a lot more attention into this, than some of the Caribbean landrace varieties. (which grow effortlessly)

46264156682_a567fc938e_c.jpg

46264156532_ca12d543f0_c.jpg

46264156592_932feabcf2_c.jpg

Harvested my first rocoto today.  I got the plant in April, first fruit in January.  By my count that's 9 months.

46718461151_a6fd39e225_c.jpg

So the answer to the OP - the bog standard red rocoto is your Florida C. Pubescens.  LOL

I picked it a bit early - the anticipation was killing me.  So it was still a bit grassy tasting.  But the heat was exquisite.  Hits right away, and lingers long.  As good of a burn as a habanero, albeit with a very different burn profile.

These peppers sound like they'd do great indoors! I know that's a bit off topic, but have these been found to produce well indoors?
Less intensity, less humidity, cooler temps.. Sounds like my living room!

solid7 said:
Harvested my first rocoto today.  I got the plant in April, first fruit in January.  By my count that's 9 months.

46718461151_a6fd39e225_c.jpg

So the answer to the OP - the bog standard red rocoto is your Florida C. Pubescens.  LOL

I picked it a bit early - the anticipation was killing me.  So it was still a bit grassy tasting.  But the heat was exquisite.  Hits right away, and lingers long.  As good of a burn as a habanero, albeit with a very different burn profile.

Congrats man!!! Victory!

I'm going to be making an attempt at growing Costa Rican Yellow and Melon Rocoto's for the first time this year. One will be in a 55 gallon Kratky set up,the other will be put in the ground. I live in Eastern Washington and it's sunny and average summer temps are in the mid 90's. Any suggestions how set them up as in only morning sun, sun untill noon or full shade? Any input would be very helpful.

Back