• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot weather capsicum pubescens?

Update: I've been regularly getting red rocoto and aji oro.  Pubescens are fantastic "cold" weather fill-ins for Florida, which produce very well in the "winter" months.  Summertime is a very different story.  By June, I expect to see the plants struggling a bit, with zero fruit production.  Then, take off like a rocket come October/November.

CaneDog said:
Must be nice to be pulling fresh rocoto pods at this time of year.  Wish I were!

It's nice, but these plants ain't easy for me here...

Although, if you wanted to grow them at this time of year, you could do so for a fraction of the cost that it costs to do so there.  LOL!

solid7 said:

It's nice, but these plants ain't easy for me here...

Although, if you wanted to grow them at this time of year, you could do so for a fraction of the cost that it costs to do so there.  LOL!

Yep.  Nice work man.   Not just about cheap or easy peppers, much like fishing's not just about cheap or easy fish.

CaneDog said:

Yep.  Nice work man.   Not just about cheap or easy peppers, much like fishing's not just about cheap or easy fish.

To be fair...  I haven't really been able to enjoy the outdoors properly since I got back from Seattle. The flat sandy forest trails just aren't the same. (I've lost about 4" of girth on my legs - my regular jeans were starting to fit like "skinny" jeans)  Plus, you can even find rocotos in some of the markets there.  Not here...

Yeah I hear you there.  It's a big change and you have to pretty much give up certain things whichever direction you're going. Had little interest in hiking or any sort of outdoor camping in the hot humid flat and sandy conditions.  Did a lot of biking though.

I grew a Manzano Rojo last summer here in Helsinki, where we had the hottest summer in recorded history. 78-88 degrees for almost 4 months in a row. My backyard has an unobstructed southern exposure with no shade where the sun shines directly at 100% for 18-19 hours per day. 10-gallon planters were drying out to bone-dry state DAILY.

Well, I grew my Rojo in an large airpot in full sunlight on a concrete patio so the temps were even higher. It was the heaviest producer out of all my peppers - about 60 pods weighing 80-100 grams each. It was also the strongest plant out of anything in my entire garden.

That sounds likes it's pretty much perfect conditions for that variety.  What was the nighttime temperature difference from the daytime, on average?  Humidity?

solid7 said:
That sounds likes it's pretty much perfect conditions for that variety.  What was the nighttime temperature difference from the daytime, on average?  Humidity?

Nighttime temps during June, when flowering occured, were mostly 10-15(C) / 16-24(F) lower than daytime temps. Humidity was between normal and high (80+% at night, 40+% during the day), as we live next to the sea.

BTW, this tool is excellent for reviewing historical weather data (just select the city, month and year) - they have 10 years of historical data online:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/finland/helsinki/historic?month=7&year=2018

The humidity was a little high, but other than that, you had almost perfect rocoto growing conditions.

Mine only held fruit when I got at least 15 degrees (F) difference between day and night temps.  So only winter for me...

I'll be getting the last of mine probably this month.

Ive got 2 mini reds that should be big enough to start flowering before it gets hot here. They went outside today for a couple days of sun. Its not supposed to be too cold tonite either so i might just leave them out there a day or two. Semi warm temps return this weekend again. Main thing is the nights being warm enough. Got a real time weather station out there now hooked up through our wifi.

BTW did those burr gherkins work out for you?

ShowMeDaSauce said:
BTW did those burr gherkins work out for you?

Sure did.  I've got about 10 plants of them right now, and so far, so good.  They're starting to fruit right now, and as of yet, nothing is eating them...

Thanks again...

So my saved seeds germinated?....First time i ever saved cuke seeds but i followed the typical instructions. You will have tons of gherkins from 10 plants. Pick them when they are no larger than a good sized lemon. Nothing bothered mine either and i didnt see any disease or mildew problems.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
So my saved seeds germinated?....First time i ever saved cuke seeds but i followed the typical instructions. You will have tons of gherkins from 10 plants. Pick them when they are no larger than a good sized lemon. Nothing bothered mine either and i didnt see any disease or mildew problems.

Every seed that I planted germinated.  I planted them straight into the ground.

Melon seeds are typically amongst the easiest to save.  I would have guessed that they would have close to 100% germination rate.  So far, that's the case.  They should shelf for 3-5 years.

solid7 said:
The humidity was a little high, but other than that, you had almost perfect rocoto growing conditions.

Mine only held fruit when I got at least 15 degrees (F) difference between day and night temps.  So only winter for me...

I'll be getting the last of mine probably this month.

BTW found some photos. Side shot and then shot from above of the same plant at 3 months old (had only been outside for 1 month). This plant was about a foot tall and barely starting the main fork when it was 2 months old. It went nuclear during it's first month outside!

mr1.jpg

mr2.jpg

My little Aji Oro is finally waking up. Man that sucker took forever to get sets of true leaves but its nice and green now. Really small but it should explode soon after moving it into the window.

Back