• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

how do i make pepper flakes?

A dehydrator, some use an oven on low, some open em up and put them on a paper towel in a sunny window, your choice. After they dry I use a coffee grinder.

i use a coffeee grinder that has 3 coarseness settings(20 bucks) and use the most coarse setting, and put a little in at a time to make sure its how i want it. before i bought my dehydrator i would put paper towels on a cookie sheet and let them sit under a ceiling fan for a couple days to speed up the drying

My grinder only has one setting and I hate dealing with the timing that why I use a mortar and it more of personal preference when using a mortar.

Thin walled:

For flakes I crush by hand. Put them into a ziploc, crunch around, done.

Actually I like to just take one whole dehydrated pod and crush it with my fingers over what I am eating. A fresh grind.

Mortar and pestle works.

Thick walled:

Need a grinder. Some thick walled pods can be leathery.

Thin walled:

For flakes I crush by hand. Put them into a ziploc, crunch around, done.

Actually I like to just take one whole dehydrated pod and crush it with my fingers over what I am eating. A fresh grind.

Mortar and pestle works.

Thick walled:

Need a grinder. Some thick walled pods can be leathery.

i do the same. ziploc bag and crush by hand. sometimes use a rolling pin for thicker walled chiles.

Back