• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do the big seed producers extract their pepper seeds?

I would think bore out some of the holes on the inside drum so that when you spin it the water and seeds fling to the outside chamber. I wouldn't sludge the pods but rather a rough chop and put them in the spinner with water and give it a spin.

Just my .02

you want the seeds to stay put, the puree would get flug out as the liquid phase here.

how clean you get the seeds will depend on how fine of a puree you get and how fast you an spin im guessing. you could wash the seeds with water and continue spinning i imagine... to further clean them off.

i dont have much hope for this method however.

commercial seeds are dried and treated with a lubricant, such taht they dont stick together. you ever trade tomato seeds? you always have to peel them apart... its a pita. seeds i buy have have some sort treatment done because they flow just fine.

NickP said:
The pepper community is generally very friendly, but I've noticed there are some strong opinions

Quee and I, frequently butt heads, thats just normal here.

Isn't that right QQ. Or do you care to disagree?  :lol:

hogleg said:
:rofl: The rocket science of washing machines.

Sounds like something you could make out of the chain drive components from a bicycle, a 5gal bucket, a 2gal bucket, and some bailing wire.  :high:

See, Hogleg's on my frequency. Up here, dude....  ^5. Not over thinking it.

NickP said:
The pepper community is generally very friendly, but I've noticed there are some strong opinions

It's a microcosm of the greater population of the world. Why would a small community be different than a large one? And differing opinions are absolutely great. It's how people learn from each other. As long as nobody gets all bent out of shape over simple disagreements, then the process works as it should. I use this theory to balance my assessment team meetings at work. It's not easy to convince bean counting engineers that they have to spend millions of dollars to fix equipment they destroyed by re-designing it to be more productive 5 years ago.

Good luck with whatever idea you came up with. I'd love to test it out down the road!

Oh and Lakeland (Mulberry) is my hometown! Nice seeing the name again 

sirex said:
I would think bore out some of the holes on the inside drum so that when you spin it the water and seeds fling to the outside chamber. I wouldn't sludge the pods but rather a rough chop and put them in the spinner with water and give it a spin.

Just my .02

Rough cut. No water, no puree. QQ's correct about the puree

I cut em in half dehyrate em for future powder,,throw em in a gallon ziplock,,and slap it on the door jamb a few times

:cool:
Kevin

OSUPepperGuy said:
Good luck with whatever idea you came up with. I'd love to test it out down the road!

Oh and Lakeland (Mulberry) is my hometown! Nice seeing the name again
If you went to Kingsford Elementary between around 83-95' my wife along with her aid, Bates, was probably your PE teacher.

cycadjungle said:
If you went to Kingsford Elementary between around 83-95' my wife along with her aid, Bates, was probably your PE teacher.
I do remember that last name but I remember my PE teacher being a guy. Think his name was Childress

The first part of my experiment went very well. I processed about 10 yellow 7 pod, pods, and have collected the seeds. The second half is the germination test. I am going to do my own test for % of germination, but having people doing to the same thing that have nothing to do with my experiment helps get unbiased results.
I would like to send 30-50 seeds to a few people who would like these seeds for free, but only to people who already have experience with germination and already know how to get maximum germination results from good seeds. I always dry my seeds for around 40 days, so that will give us time. I don't care what you do with your pepper plants, you can sell them if you want. I just want to know how many actually come up, and how many turn into decent plants. I mention this because some germinate but then die because the seed stays attached, or they just die for whatever reason. Salsalady, you want to give some of these a try? You have always been nice to me over the last few years.

I have written articles on cycad cultivation that have been printed in journals all over the world. Since my article on using coffee grounds to save cycads is also a good article for pepper people to read, I will use that as an example. I experimented and tested for 18 months before I wrote my first article on that subject, which has now been 7 years ago. This is worthy of writing up somewhere and sometime. When I started growing cycads 29 years ago, I saw a need for good information that did not exist anywhere in the world, so I did what it took to bring this kind of information out to the world. I documented with a pad and pen everything that happened to every cycad, while conducting dozens of experiments, for 8 years before I wrote my first cycad article.
Just last week, I realized there was a need for a better method than I knew about, so this is why I asked people if there was a good method that maybe I never heard of. This is now day 4 of experimenting. Everyone will have all my data when the time comes, and before anything I do goes to publication. I've been growing peppers somewhat commercially now for about 5 years. I've been sitting back, paying my dues, and have not come in acting like I know everything about cultivation but have helped people with some questions that I could answer, without being a "pepper expert". I'm probably in the top 3 in the world who do what I do, but I know that doesn't mean anything to most pepper people. A good plant person can take the time to figure out how to grow just about any type of plant if given enough time. This year I'm stepping up everything I am doing to the next level. I've already figured little things out like how to make a small pepper plant branch 8 times when topped off, and found a nutrient that probably adds about 300,000 scovilles worth of oils to the hottest peppers, but this is worthy of changing the industry. I don't mean to keep anything secret, but I don't want to say anything until everything works well after multiple experiments.

MisterBigglesworth said:

I like jammin
And I hope you like jammin, too.

It's how I like my donuts ;)
cycadjungle said:
I have written articles on cycad cultivation that have been printed in journals all over the world. Since my article on using coffee grounds to save cycads is also a good article for pepper people to read, I will use that as an example. I experimented and tested for 18 months before I wrote my first article on that subject, which has now been 7 years ago. This is worthy of writing up somewhere and sometime. When I started growing cycads 29 years ago, I saw a need for good information that did not exist anywhere in the world, so I did what it took to bring this kind of information out to the world. I documented with a pad and pen everything that happened to every cycad, while conducting dozens of experiments, for 8 years before I wrote my first cycad article.
Just last week, I realized there was a need for a better method than I knew about, so this is why I asked people if there was a good method that maybe I never heard of. This is now day 4 of experimenting. Everyone will have all my data when the time comes, and before anything I do goes to publication. I've been growing peppers somewhat commercially now for about 5 years. I've been sitting back, paying my dues, and have not come in acting like I know everything about cultivation but have helped people with some questions that I could answer, without being a "pepper expert". I'm probably in the top 3 in the world who do what I do, but I know that doesn't mean anything to most pepper people. A good plant person can take the time to figure out how to grow just about any type of plant if given enough time. This year I'm stepping up everything I am doing to the next level. I've already figured little things out like how to make a small pepper plant branch 8 times when topped off, and found a nutrient that probably adds about 300,000 scovilles worth of oils to the hottest peppers, but this is worthy of changing the industry. I don't mean to keep anything secret, but I don't want to say anything until everything works well after multiple experiments.

I've been waiting for greenthumb Tom to creep out!  I can vouch for Tom's cycad-growing prowess - it was his articles on his site that empowered my cycad growing - from soil to fertillising to vegetative propagation from disks of stems etc.  I don't think he tackles anything without zeal.

If Tom's cycad prowess is anything to go by then I reckon in for a chile revolution.  I watch with keen intent!

Thank you Robstar! Think real hard and you already know, to some extent, what I am doing. If you figure it out, please don't say anything. Tom

Back