• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do the big seed producers extract their pepper seeds?

I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall an article about Puckerbutt that mentioned rubber gloves and referenced the seeding room as the cutting room.  They did not flat say they do it by hand, but I really had that impression.  For super hots isn't that about as big as a seed company gets?

I don´t know how the big seed producers do their job....propably not as good as I would aspect.
I´m using a 30$ equipment to get seeds from 2-3 lb within a few minutes.

This wasn´t my invention, but has been refined by me during the years. As far as I remember the information came from one of the late US pepper seed vendors and went through to me be one of the gurus here at THP.

As far as I know the market (you can see it on the seed purity) only a few seed producers know how to process pods very fast and get clean seeds without black seeds, open hulls and pod debris.

So it´s not cheap or gratis to get my answer.

Peter

semillas said:
So it´s not cheap or gratis to get my answer.

dont worry. i seriously doubt you any particularly innovative solution to offer anyway.

air classifying seeds as i  mentioned previously will easily remove debris, aborted seeds, and damaged seeds. i even posted a video of someone doing just this.

Back