• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How do you cook your roast?

Me personally I use a slow cooker,add in 2 packs of french onion soup,add some garlic and let it cook for 8 ish hours(depending on the size of the roast)then I proceed to make a gravy out of the french onion soup the roast was cooking in by boiling it on the stove and adding a cornstarch and cold water mix serve with veggies and mashed potatoes...

CP..I always get a cast iron skillet smokin' hot and then toss in the roast and sear it all over. From there it either gets tossed into the crockpot or the dutch oven. The veggies and starch can be cooked with or seperately depending on my mood. The last two roasts I made a mushroom marsala sauce with the drippings...one of the few sauces my gal will eat. It is tres bon with garlic mashed on the side.
Cheers, TB.

sounds like the way I do it TB....close anyway...I use a more "salty" sauce in that I use beef stock/thickened broth instead of wine for cooking...

AJ right you are...I also use a bit of beef stock sometimes. The commercial ones are very salty though and I limit the use of them. I much prefer deglazing the searing pan with the wine or whatever I am using and making the sauce base from that. Whatever I can't get from that I then supplement with beef or chicken stock. No matter the method..in the end its all good.
Cheers bro, TB.

I never thought of searing it first..Damn my roast just finished lol Ill have to do that with my next roast..With the juices from the roast I added creole seasoning and a touch od seasoning salt and thickened her up..It came out pretty good but next time ill try things differently

Canuk Pepperhead said:
Ive never tried that approach before..what level of heat you cook it at and how long
I've only done one or two roasts so I'm not all that experienced with them. I only do charcoal grilling so I'm not sure what the temp is. It's generally closed top with medium flame for about an hour or two. It's more of an art than a science for me when it comes to grilling.

What kind of roast are we talking about? I only rarely cook a roast that can't be tossed on the grill. You know, rib roasts, sirloins, London Broil and the like. I even more rarely, like almost never, can afford tenderloin, but oh yeah, if I get that, it's going on the grill!

imaguitargod said:
BBQ, I do everything on a BBQ.

Another thing we agree on!

texas blues said:
CP..I always get a cast iron skillet smokin' hot and then toss in the roast and sear it all over. From there it either gets tossed into the crockpot or the dutch oven. The veggies and starch can be cooked with or seperately depending on my mood. The last two roasts I made a mushroom marsala sauce with the drippings...one of the few sauces my gal will eat. It is tres bon with garlic mashed on the side.
Cheers, TB.

I want an invitation to dinner at your house. More that once, now that I think on it.

A really simple recipe I have that works is:

1 ROAST.....
1 package of lipton onion soup
Potatoes - some
Carrots - some
onions - lots
Garlic - frigging tons
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Pour the mushroom soup and 2 cups of water into the bottom of a roasting pan.
Put in said ROAST

Pour all of the dry onion soup mix onto the roast. Pepper it heavilly.

Put it in the oven on BROIL.

Let the top get crusty (depends on how close you are to the broiler, but 10 min. is about right)

Cover the bastard (lid or foil) and throw it in the oven.

Go to work ;)

45 minutes before chow time, dump in carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic.

Broil separately a ton of french bread slices with a touch of butter (and therefore LOVE) on each.

Enjoy.

Disclaimer: I am all for "from scratch" cooking, but sometimes we have to go to work.

I generally fix roasts in a hot pot, with lots of water, at about 350 degrees. Once it is bout 3/4 done, throw in potatoes, peas, corn and green beans, then when it is almost done, add a thickening sauce. I've also added eggplant and squash. Beast stew is great!

Optionally, if it is really cold, I'll fix it in the oven (my kitchen stays cold once it gets below 10 degrees).

My roasts vary from 4-10 pounds so grilling or frying isn't really much of an option.

Mike

I just throw the whole lot into a deep baking dish, chicken, lamb or beef + whole potato, large carrots, big chunks of pumpkin. Coat the whole lot in spanish extra virgin & cook at 180 C (350 F) until the meat is a little crispy & a fork sinks into the spuds easily.

PORK is a whole other thing though. Getting the skin to crackle every time. So far the most success I've had is letting the roast get to almost room temp with paper towels on top to drag the moisture out.
deep gashes and scruubing with more paper. rub in sea salt crystals & chopped dill. Pre-heat the oven to 230 C (440F) Blast it at that temp for the first 20 mins then lower to 180C for the duration. Another 10 minute blast at the end can help if it hasn't crisped up.

It still doesn't always work but have had more success that way than any other. If you have a foolproof way of making pork crackling happen on the roast I'd love to hear it.

Very important for all roasts - let it sit for 10 or 15 mins after you take it out of the oven - Before carving it. This helps stop it from drying out for the cold cuts in tomorrows lunch. Its the hardest thing on earth to do, but it's worth it.

bentalphanerd said:
I
PORK is a whole other thing though. Getting the skin to crackle every time. So far the most success I've had is letting the roast get to almost room temp with paper towels on top to drag the moisture out.

It still doesn't always work but have had more success that way than any other. If you have a foolproof way of making pork crackling happen on the roast I'd love to hear it.

Have you tried "studded pork" - making deep punctures into the pork and pushing in a clove of garlic in each puncture...use a butcher knife to make gashes...helps it cook quicker and inundates the pork in garlic...you could get fancy and fill the punctures with some kind of seasoning other than garlic...

i do that studded thing on beef when company's coming, i will season with whatever i feel like that day which always includes garlic, i chop and fry an onion then i sear the beef with the onion when thats down i add about an inch of boiling water and pop her in the oven. if its a good cut of meat i do it at 350 and twenty five minutes per kilo, if its cheaper i go low and slow like 300 and forty five minutes per kilo but then i let it sit a bit after and then cut it and let it sit in the juices.
for pork i basically do the same except instead of water i use apple juice.

the pineapple glaze is wonderful on pork loin....

With my venison tenderloins I do it realy simple. I rub extra virgin olive oil over the meat, then I rub the Mossy Oak lucky buck rub seasoning all over it, followed by wrapping it in bacon. I throw it in the oven for say 30 to 35 minutes until it's medium rare, or medium. The stuff is rich, juicy and melts in your mouth.
With a venison rump roast I use a roasting pan, rub olive oil on the meat again. Then I rub a little sage, pepper, and majorem leaves on the meat. Followed by wrapping that in bacon as well. Then I add a can of french onion soup, or two to it. With cut up celery, and carrots on the side. Cook till medium rare again. YUM!!
Venison shoulder roast I just throw in the slow cooker until it falls apart. Then I shred it, take pick the fat out and make venison barbeque sandwiches....YUM!!
Then there's a regular crock pot roast with beef. I just put it in french onion soup mix, throw in a ton of leeks, (I love leeks, especially the wild ones.)dice some carrots, celery a little water and I cook it on low until it falls apart.

Back