• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation How much vinegar?

hello all,
i've searched the forum and this thread seems to be most accurate for the info i'm looking for. i just made my first ever hot sauce, which friends are loving and i'm ready to make a giant batch to give to all my friends. however, i'm not sure if i have enough vinegar in it to adequately preserve it.

my recipe is:

12 habbs
1 tomato
1 bell pepper roasted
garlic
2 limes squeezed
some onion
some cilantro
salt
sugar
spice
1/2 cup cider vinegar

everything went straight into the processor fresh with the exception of the roasted bell pepper. will this be enough vinegar to preserve?

thank you so much. this seems to be the only place i can find info on the matter.

ps: i love hot sauce.

I would have went with another 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar

pH tester???? My pH tester is my next door neighbor. I give him a taste. If he doesn't get sick then it's good to go!!!!!!!

Seriously though THP! I'm in the market for a pH tester right now. If you know of a good link then LINK ME!!!!

scarpetti said:

pH tester???? My pH tester is my next door neighbor. I give him a taste. If he doesn't get sick then it's good to go!!!!!!!

Seriously though THP! I'm in the market for a pH tester right now. If you know of a good link then LINK ME!!!!

Ditto, I'm looking for one as well, and would love to hear what units others are using.

I don't use vinegar in my hot sauce at all. I use a combination of apple juice and lime juice, and then ferment the mash to get the excess sugar out. This is a process I learned from my father in law, and it tastes great.

All pepper, no vinegar. Yummy...

NoVa Hothead said:
I don't use vinegar in my hot sauce at all. I use a combination of apple juice and lime juice, and then ferment the mash to get the excess sugar out. This is a process I learned from my father in law, and it tastes great.

All pepper, no vinegar. Yummy...
How is that all pepper? lol. Apple juice, lime juice... ;)

Not me, love the vinegar! Hot sauce needs it for the pungent sharpness. Not too much though.

thehotpepper.com said:
How is that all pepper? lol. Apple juice, lime juice... ;)

Ha! Point well taken. The apple sauce leaves no flavor, and you can taste the lime juice at first, but then the peppers take over. The liquids work great to boil the mash, and as it reduces, all they leave behind is a lower ph.

i'll definately get a photo up as soon as it's in a proper bottle. i appreciate everyone's responses. litmus paper sounds like a cheap choice. i'm assuming it can be found at a beer brewing store?

the recipe made about 13 oz. with the 2 limes, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, and tbs. of salt, based on this info do you guys think you'd be able to make a judgment call on if it'd last a few months as far as vinegar and percentages go? thanks again.

thehotpepper.com said:
Keep it in the refrigerator until you get a proper pH meter.

I definitely agree with THP - keep it in the fridge, at least until tested. I also think your a little short in the acid department. Maybe 1/2 C vinegar (I use apple cider) or 1/4 C lemon juice. I'm by no means an expert, just guessing here.

scarpetti said:

As far as testers go, I bought mine on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANNA-HI-98103-Digital-Water-pH-Meter-Tester-Checker-1_W0QQitemZ370231303870QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5633815ebe#ht_884wt_954

If you're gonna buy one, don't forget your buffer (calibrating) solutions. You need 4.01 and 7.01. I'd also suggest buying the storage solution as well. In my opinion, you DO NOT need the cleaning solution - just rinse it off under running water. Then store it in storage solution (keeps probe from drying out).

POTAWIE said:
You definitely need to be safe and check pH is under 4 but you can use litmus paper instead of buying an expensive meter

i bought litmus paper from the local beer brewing store but found that the end you're supposed to stick in the sauce is the same end you're supposed to see the color change on. potawie how did you use litmus?

theDeuk said:
i bought litmus paper from the local beer brewing store but found that the end you're supposed to stick in the sauce is the same end you're supposed to see the color change on. potawie how did you use litmus?

Wipe it off then compare...no?

Back