• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

how MUST you have your water

Whats everyones opinion on the flavor powder packets to add to your bottle water? i do drink them howeveri find them still very nasty. Only way i can drink warm water...

cold water i can straight chug

Our local whiskey peddler explained one day,
that when the temps are high, a cold beer is actually more hydrating than water, so......

At 100º, I think I'll go follow some of that sage advice! ;)

Whats everyones opinion on the flavor powder packets to add to your bottle water? i do drink them howeveri find them still very nasty. Only way i can drink warm water...

cold water i can straight chug

As long as they don't have aspartame, I will try them. I have used the kool-aid ones, they are ok . . . just ok.

Not sure about that HP! I only have a couple of individual little pkts, and ingredients aren't listed.

I'm a HUGE fan of EmergenC packets! Slightly effervescent, great flavors, and a nice dose of Vit. C to boot! :)

Our local whiskey peddler explained one day,
that when the temps are high, a cold beer is actually more hydrating than water, so......

At 100º, I think I'll go follow some of that sage advice! ;)

Uhm, I don't think that's true. Some people have had heatstrokes...atleast down here in Deep South Texas after drinking a cold beer during the middle of the day.
Anyhow, found this for you: http://truestarhealt...12ML3P1A45.html

Room temp I guess is no worse than slightly chilled . . . Aspartame is unstable, and at~85 deg F, it starts dropping methanol molecules. Methanol reacts with the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme in your body (the same enzyme that reacts with ethanol to produce acetaldehyde) to produce FORMALDEHYDE. Which isn't good for you for several reasons.
Problem is, most people's core body temp is above 85 deg F.
A few years ago, they released a new version called Neotame which was supposed to be more stable, I've seen it in a few products, but I have never seen any studies on it, third party or otherwise.

the best water I have ever had came straight out of the ground under an old old Magnolia tree way back in the woods in south Mississippi...constant 68F year round and it was delicious...was really good to get off the tractor in the middle of July at 100F ambient, go down the hillside and sit under the Magnolia tree and have some fresh water...

by the way...this was 50 years ago..

the best water I have ever had came straight out of the ground under an old old Magnolia tree way back in the woods in south Mississippi...constant 68F year round and it was delicious...was really good to get off the tractor in the middle of July at 100F ambient, go down the hillside and sit under the Magnolia tree and have some fresh water...

by the way...this was 50 years ago..

I grew up on well water in south central GA. The water came from an underground river that flowed beneath limestone. I could not stand city water b/c I could taste and smell the chlorine.

When I was a wee one, we lived in Seattle, and during the Summer my folks would take me over to Eastern WA to visit my grandpa. The first thing I would ask him when we pulled up, was if I could have a glass of "sweetwater"! Even as a tot I appreciated the pleasure of a cool glass of mountain spring water!!!!

Room temp I guess is no worse than slightly chilled . . . Aspartame is unstable, and at~85 deg F, it starts dropping methanol molecules. Methanol reacts with the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme in your body (the same enzyme that reacts with ethanol to produce acetaldehyde) to produce FORMALDEHYDE. Which isn't good for you for several reasons.
Problem is, most people's core body temp is above 85 deg F.
A few years ago, they released a new version called Neotame which was supposed to be more stable, I've seen it in a few products, but I have never seen any studies on it, third party or otherwise.
Agggh! I hate this kinda stuff. That is why I decided to stop drinking diet soda. If I want a soda now I just buy the Mexican CocaCola - it has pure cane sugar in it. Sure, it's way more calories than the US version (~150 vs 100) but for one it tastes AWESOME (like it did when I was a kid) and for 2 it's non-GMO as it doesn't have that nasty high fructose corn syrup in it. I have eliminated HFCS from my life altogether. The occasional soda isn't gonna kill me any more than the occational burrito or the occasional shot of hwwwiskey. Plus Rum & Cokes tase 1,000,000X better with REAL coca cola than that crap they sell us today. The whole HFCS insustry is evil.

Veeeery interesting! I knew aspartame was nasty stuff, but for some reason, about 3 weeks ago I developed a complete aversion to it! weird. Quit buying soda altogether, but now I'm in love with seltzer + lime or lemon! hahaha

I do like my bubble water! :)

Out of the tap, room temperature, in large quantities. If I am drinking water, it's because I'm thirsty, and I am very... voracious when I am thirsty. Anything less that 32 ounces isn't worth my time.

I'm in the same boat as the chuggers. I chug that shyte like my body can't get enough. I drink a gallon a day. But its gotta be bottled or filtered.

Drink that stuff out of the tap here, and you might as well be sippin out of someone's swimming pool.

Best tap water was mountain spring fed at my gramma's house in Truckee, winter time, it came out of the tap colder than ice. Probably high in mineral content, very tasty. Truckee no longer uses fresh spring water, now they've plumbed the city with chemical laiden processing plant water, tastes like most city water does now.

I like water so cold, it borders on giving you a headache if you guzzle it too fast. I also like my water hard, full of nutritious minerals. soft water tastes like soap, city water tastes of chlorine, distilled water is just too bland, the best water I get anymore is filtering it out of the streams when backpacking above 7000 feet elevation. gotta filter it for giardia, don't want Montezuma's revenge.

When it comes to water, I take it any way I can get it! I drink 2 gallons of 95 degree water every day at work in the summer (I work outside). In the winter it's more like 1 gallon a day, usually with glass-like shards of ice floating around in it. I like the gallon jugs with a peel off safety seal under the cap in the winter. I just poke a hole in it to drink from. Otherwise you get ice shards stuck in your throat...and chapped lips.

Back