• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Thought I might be overdue for my yearly drop in. :lol:

Aye, the few plants I have remaining from last season still want to produce like crazy. Not that it's unusual to see some production here over the cool season but yeah, it really is nuts. I think the garden thinks that it's spring. :crazy:

Last season? I am choosing not to speak about ;) but this season is going alright..... for now.

0VdODvc.jpg

AHpverw.jpg

v18ylBm.jpg

Ideally I wanted to start at the beginning of autumn but as usual other stuff got in the way and I didn't get cracking until last month. :rolleyes:

What happened to the rest of Australia??? You Perth lot seem to be the only kinda active people here on THP at the moment! (like I can talk hahah)

My first batch of seedlings are really starting to take off under the T5 - under lights for about 14 hours 6.00 am till 8.00 pm.

2 Questions - Is this long enough under lights?
When do you remove from the seedling trays and put into larger containers ( cups )?

IMG_1233.jpg

Off to a good start, mate!

It probably wouldn't hurt to bump up the time under the light if it is doable (will boost growth a bit) but what they are getting should be more than sufficient if they get plonked fairly close under the bulbs.

Transplant when you have a nice strong little root system going but don't leave it go to the point where you will have to break it up too much and damage the roots. Trial and error at first pretty much. ;)

I wish I had Perth or Brissy weather. Canberra is starting to get cold finally. I've got some seeds coming from Junglerain. Should be due to get them any day now.
Can't wait to get started! :D

Fantastic looking seedlings there Gas. Some nice crosses as usual.
U still got that pretty cool Pimenta De Neyde Cross happening?

The plants over here definitely thought it was Spring in Autumn.
I had a Macadamia nut tree flowering like crazy. It hangs over the raised bed and I couldn’t get in to hand water because the bees were swarming all over it.
Good luck with the up coming season Mate.
I think it has gone a bit quiet in Aussieland because people were having a bad season. Not much to talk about when your plants look crappy. I think ol JungleRain also had a bad one?
We will still come back next season though!
Hey have you got any Peachy Ghost Scorps happening for your season? If not you should, they are a really cool Pepper. I can supply you some seeds if you haven’t got any.

Hey Thirdegree
Nice seedlings, they are looking strong.
14 hrs is no problem, I think mine are on that.
Like Gas said keep the buggers close to the light and you will get nice strong plants.

Micca

Shurbryn said:
I wish I had Perth or Brissy weather. Canberra is starting to get cold finally. I've got some seeds coming from Junglerain. Should be due to get them any day now.
Can't wait to get started! :D

We had 5 Deg.C this morning. Going to be 17Deg.C tops today and tomorrow.
I hate Winter unless I can stay in bed all day!
Good luck with your starts.

Micca

Micca302 said:
Hey have you got any Peachy Ghost Scorps happening for your season? If not you should, they are a really cool Pepper. I can supply you some seeds if you haven’t got any.

Not sure if this was aimed at me or Gassy, but no, I don't have this on my list.

We had 5 Deg.C this morning. Going to be 17Deg.C tops today and tomorrow.
I hate Winter unless I can stay in bed all day!
Good luck with your starts.

Micca

Haha damn, I was in 5 deg C when i got in my car this morning. We had 1 deg C overnight. Unusual for this time of year, should be lower, so I can't complain too much. And I agree, winter sucks.

Cheers Micca, all the best for you too.

No problem at all Shurbryn with the Peachy Ghost Scorps.
I was originally responding to Gas but doing this a work and by the time I typed it out there were more replies.
Just drop my address and will send some through when dried out. I had a piece of the placenta(I know it was suicide!) with a pie yesterday and the flavour of this Pepper was intense as well as the heat!

1 Deg.C Brrrrr now no one, specially Chilli’s like that! Keep warm there Mate.

Micca

Hey Shurbyrn I noticed you were looking at buying a Dehyrdator.
Did you end up getting one? What were you drying out that took 8Hrs?

Micca

Micca302 said:
Hey Shurbyrn I noticed you were looking at buying a Dehyrdator.
Did you end up getting one? What were you drying out that took 8Hrs?

Micca

Nah, haven't got one yet. Will look over the next few weeks.
Dried some TS CARDI yellows in the oven at about 85ish deg C

Turned out really good though, even if it did take ages lol

I find with drying Chilli’s the longer the better.
I started with a cheap Sumbeam with no thermostat and they got pretty hot.
Dried out quickly but changed the colour of the pods. I then got one with a thermostat and dried them out slowly.
A big difference in the colour and flavour.

I got something like this-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/800W10Food-Dehydrator-Commercial-Quality-Preserve-Yogurt-Fruit-Dryer-Jerky-Maker-/281251884101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item417beb2c45&_uhb=1

The main thing was having a thermostat and also a Timer. My mates got the smaller version of this but you have to look around for one with a timer.
I can set and forget Wooohooo. Makes damn excellent Jerky too.
Oh and get yourself a cheap coffee grinder. makes the best powder.
I have 2, one for the reds/chocks and one for the light colours yellow, orange etc.

I'll get some seed out when they dry out.

Micca

gasificada said:
Thought I might be overdue for my yearly drop in. :lol:

Aye, the few plants I have remaining from last season still want to produce like crazy. Not that it's unusual to see some production here over the cool season but yeah, it really is nuts. I think the garden thinks that it's spring. :crazy:

Last season? I am choosing not to speak about ;) but this season is going alright..... for now.

0VdODvc.jpg

AHpverw.jpg

v18ylBm.jpg

Ideally I wanted to start at the beginning of autumn but as usual other stuff got in the way and I didn't get cracking until last month. :rolleyes:

What happened to the rest of Australia??? You Perth lot seem to be the only kinda active people here on THP at the moment! (like I can talk hahah)

Those crosses with the purple tinge to the leaves are reaaally cool looking! what are they?
Your plants look very nice in general!

Looks like your plants have been doing well Super Dave.
Gotta love some Winter Pods, goes with the Winter curries. Who needs a heater when you cook a Vindaloo!
You will probably find the Rocoto does better in Winter than Summer. They like the cooler weather.

Micca

Micca302 said:
Fantastic looking seedlings there Gas. Some nice crosses as usual.
U still got that pretty cool Pimenta De Neyde Cross happening?
Cheers, mate! I have plans to grow the next generation PDN hybrid this season. Unfortunately it didn't happen last season. :( I really want to get to it soon, though, actually. The trouble is, so much else I want to start at the same time too. You know how it goes! ;) haha

Micca302 said:
I think it has gone a bit quiet in Aussieland because people were having a bad season. Not much to talk about when your plants look crappy. I think ol JungleRain also had a bad one?
We will still come back next season though!
Yeah, figured that too. Sucks to hear that JR had a rough one! Man, really hope it hasn't affected supply for his business and all that. You know, for his sake. Growing for business is a big thing I can only imagine... talk about spanner in the works if the season is no good! :eek:

Micca302 said:
Actually, I do have some seeds here somewhere. Thought about taking it for a run this season but don't know if I have room on the list for it! Might have to reconsider finding room there, eh? From what I hear, it's a real cracker. ;)

nzchili said:
Those crosses with the purple tinge to the leaves are reaaally cool looking! what are they?
Your plants look very nice in general!
Cheers, mate! The plants with the purple tinge are Spanish Naga x CGN 21500 and Spanish Naga x CGN 21566. I actually have another 4 of each going which are predominantly green. Just a little experiment thing I am interested in seeing the results of.

Yeah, they look good...... for now haha. Once spring/summer arrives it will likely very quickly become another story.

Super David said:
My winter pods!

Ghost Hab

Aji Panca

Aji Rocoto Largo
Going off, mate! Would you say Aji Panca is worth the grow? I started a plant years ago that ended up dying and have been debating ever since whether or not I should get another one going.

Hey Gas hopefully JR managed to get a good crop for his Business.
I have had a heap of people wanting me to go commercial with my jerky but that’s the main reason I don’t.
If something goes wrong or you just can’t be bothered then it is not a hobby anymore and you have demanding customers you need to keep happy.
Candice at Wildfire recently sold her business. Would have been great to buy but then you are supplying Bunnings and that would be real hard with our up and down seasons.
She did do a fantastic job of getting it to where it is though.

Definitely need to keep going on the PDN cross. It has some REAL potential that one.
I’ll be happy to grow some out for ya  :P
The Peachy Ghost Scorp has been a real surprise too but like you said finding the time to grow it or the room!

Looking forward to seeing how the Naga Crosses go too. The Spanish cross Brazillians what a mix!

gasificada said:
Going off, mate! Would you say Aji Panca is worth the grow? I started a plant years ago that ended up dying and have been debating ever since whether or not I should get another one going.
They are a decent plant! Apparently they are good for making chili powder.  I turned alot of mine in a spiced up pickle and they were good in that.  I've dried some too but I havn't turned them to dust yet.
They aren't super hot, but they are very prolific!  I guess it depends on what you want.
Because they grow so thick with so many chilies the grubs have a field day in there. I probably won't grow any next season.

And yes the cooler weather suits the rocotos just fine! Same thing last year! they really started to shine in the colder weather! It dropped flowers all summer, making only one or two stunted pods.  Now that its colder I'm getting full size true shape pods, and alot of them!

Super David said:
They are a decent plant! Apparently they are good for making chili powder.  I turned alot of mine in a spiced up pickle and they were good in that.  I've dried some too but I havn't turned them to dust yet.
They aren't super hot, but they are very prolific!  I guess it depends on what you want.
Because they grow so thick with so many chilies the grubs have a field day in there. I probably won't grow any next season.

They sound good! Well, apart from being major grub magnets... haha. Thing with chillies, I love 'em all from the most sweetest, completely heatless to the other end of melt your face off. As long as it tastes good, I don't discriminate over heat. These days I actually prefer something that'll just warm the dish up and save the lava for special occasions. :shh:

Super David said:
And yes the cooler weather suits the rocotos just fine! Same thing last year! they really started to shine in the colder weather! It dropped flowers all summer, making only one or two stunted pods.  Now that its colder I'm getting full size true shape pods, and alot of them!
Funny, the Rocoto Aji Largo I grew a couple years ago actually didn't do too bad over summer (compared to other C. pubescens varieties I had grown in the past anyway). It's a shame it ended up succumbing to bug attack by the end of summer 'cause sounds like it really would have went off in the cool season. :(

Back