• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Brain Strain ripening!!
IMAG1144_zps7c624ec8.jpg

fark last nite, i was up at 3-4am because it was too hot too sleep...no aircon in the bedrooms in an old house that more resembles a kiln..

This has to be my all time favorite! My best looking and ugliest chili I've ever grown!
133d93c9-8c38-4fa6-84c1-b32f3016a83d_zps5d839d3f.jpg

More of the Aji Panca
Lots of them are pretty much ripe now, might give them one more day to see if they get any darker and start picking whatever is dark brown.
P1030678_zpsc9bc429f.jpg

P1030704_zps301fb7da.jpg

P1030707_zpsf5b819e1.jpg

P1030709_zpsc2f9698a.jpg

P1030673_zps56503012.jpg

fark last nite, i was up at 3-4am because it was too hot too sleep...no aircon in the bedrooms in an old house that more resembles a kiln..
Me too. No aircon down the bedroom end of the house, which is the west end so the walls stay warm all night! Just have to sweat it out with the pedestal fan :(

This has to be my all time favorite! My best looking and ugliest chili I've ever grown!
133d93c9-8c38-4fa6-84c1-b32f3016a83d_zps5d839d3f.jpg
Love it! That looks so cool.

an ornamental? i have a razzamatazz that has red, yellow, purple chillis. But im not very experienced in guessing what that is

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL a few weeks. They really aren't kidding about the first year as a high school teacher. Sheesh. I've been flat out.

My balcony setup seems to be protecting my plants though - many of them are big and quite strong now and covered in blossom. The old Jalapeno still bears plenty of pods but others are prone to blossom-drop - no idea why as im not treating them any differently.

Purple Capsi has started to produce-

8474804273_5bf4cefa45_h.jpg

I have a grub farm !!!!
That sucks dude. Mine have almost completely gone. Maybe its because I've been removing all pods when they are just starting to ripen and discarding the wormed ones so the grubs haven't had a chance to mature and spread more larvae? You could try to break their breeding cycle that way.

Could be they didn't like being sprayed with wettable sulphur too?

I've got plenty of good bugs hanging around too, like hoverflies and wasps.

I have a grub farm !!!!
That sucks! I kind of do too!
So far about 40% of what is ripening seems to be effected by them.
I try and pick any pods that look like they have holes or have had their insides chewed out but those are getting hard to find because of how thick my chili plants are. The Aji Pancas are a strange chili! usually when those grubs get in a chili I can feel it because they go soft, but the pancas I can't feel because they are a very hard chili. More firm than other chlies even when the insides have been eaten out! Its almost like they have a shell!

I killed about 6 of those moths last night so hopefully that effects their egg laying numbers.

couldn't wait any longer! Picked this one today! Looks like I made it past the grubs! I'll take it to work and see who wants a piece!
P1030731_zps9d052944.jpg

So these grubs have me bothered! I know alot of them are coming from my Jamaicans, the plants are so thick and full of pods I can't even hope to weed out the grubs. Soooo.... I got out the cutters!
P1030741_zps83f2b962.jpg

P1030736_zps77fe7a26.jpg

P1030762_zps6f2c39cd.jpg

P1030763_zps7537c997.jpg

P1030768_zps00d04be3.jpg

Chopped them all up cleaned out all the grubs or just threw out the whole pod. They are all in the dryer now!

Found a quite alot of these different grubs... I think these ones might actually be pepper maggots? not sure
P1030765_zps271093f8.jpg

I can confirm that the red grubs do come from the moth that I had a picture of earlier. I hatched one out
P1030761_zps025333d4.jpg

I found a very interesting pod too! I've seen pods like this before, but not with the second pod so big and not with the entire thing being so big!
P1030754_zps16031285.jpg

P1030752_zps894e71b3.jpg

Two normal looking Jamaicans on the right, the abnormal pod in the middle and another different shaped pod on the left.
P1030756_zps8bcccb97.jpg

Ok I posted that most of my grubs have gone but that might not be true. Because I've been so busy, I've been freezing all my healthy looking pods. But the f*#&@! grubs don't always leave signs they are in there. I've probably put a whole lot of them to sleep :P When it comes time to cook with or dehydrate all those pods I will have to cut open and inspect closely.

I cut open the first of Lavatungs mystery peppers and it had the mother of all grubs in it :( Pod looked perfectly fine from the outside. There is another pod growing and lots of flowers though.

Gave everything a feed with some PK heavy stuff last week and all my plants have just had a massive bud/flower spurt. Lots of bees about too so looking forward to harvest :)

3 of my biggest superhots have some problems

Look healthy as in terms of greenery so i assume nitrogen is ok.

One has put out some pods, they open up to a flower but the flower looks small and hard. It has no pollen in it at all.

the largest has no flowers or buds at all.

The middle one has just started with a couple of buds.

What can i do to get some pollen happening?? Do i need some more PK stuff?

I use seasol seaweed and the veggie powerfeed which has 12:1.4:7

One has put out some pods, they open up to a flower but the flower looks small and hard. It has no pollen in it at all.

I've had stunted flowers before. Not sure what it was. Maybe mites or a nutrient problem. I'd only say give them some PK if you are absolutely positive they haven't had too much nutes from the powerfeed. Usually if they are getting anything at all then the problem is too much of something rather than too little. 99% of the time nute problems are toxicity. (that is amongst growers on this site who love their plants to death)

Post some pics of the small hard flowers.

Ok I posted that most of my grubs have gone but that might not be true. Because I've been so busy, I've been freezing all my healthy looking pods. But the f*#&@! grubs don't always leave signs they are in there. I've probably put a whole lot of them to sleep :P When it comes time to cook with or dehydrate all those pods I will have to cut open and inspect closely.

I cut open the first of Lavatungs mystery peppers and it had the mother of all grubs in it :( Pod looked perfectly fine from the outside. There is another pod growing and lots of flowers though.

Gave everything a feed with some PK heavy stuff last week and all my plants have just had a massive bud/flower spurt. Lots of bees about too so looking forward to harvest :)
Thats what happened to me! I thought maybe I had them under control but then as I start cutting pods open to dry them, I've got alot more infected pods than I thought!

how big and old are the plants? Potasium is good for helping them flower and fruit, they do need it, but as I'm finding with my hydroponics they dont need alot of potasium to do their thing. In my opinion which changes as I learn things.....They are more nitrogen hungry than anything else. As mine started flowering this season I concentrated on giving them the flowering part of the nutrients and they didnt like it. Once they had sucked out all the nitrogen from what was in the reservoir they started dropping leaves and flowers. ( I didn't realise that the flower part of the nutrients must have almost 0 nitrogen in it).
So I drained my reservoirs almost to the bottom and refilled with the the nitrogen based nutrient and all my plants are flying now! very healthily with tons of flowers! I've lost a few weeks of pods from that mistake!
Even being in mostly nitrogen my plants are holding onto pods just fine.......except for those that are being stubborn anyway, some plants just aren't ready to hold onto pods.

I dont know that any of this actually helps you. If you are growing in soil I would throw in some potash to help with flowering. Soil has alot of nitrogen so you'll probalby find a good balance for your plant unless you over do it.

edit....was thinking if its putting out pods at all they are probably ok, some plants just aren't ready to hold onto pods. None of my brain strains look like they have pollen but they still convert to pods. ...I still think a small amount of potasium wouldn't hurt.

Back