• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Just joined up earlier today. Great to see a perth thread. Just reading threw it all just now. Hopefully pick some tips and good discussion on the go.

Welcome aboard Darren. Theres lots of good info on the forums, just a lot to take in initially.
There is also a aussie growing thread that is sooo long you might fall asleep reading it :surprised:

Micca

Lavatung said:
Hey Perthlings! It's been a while. I'm a Queenslander now, just about to get a new patch going. Photos to come.

Looking forward to this thread livening up again. I can hardly stop myself getting some seeds going in my little incubator from bunnings. Surely it's a bit early yet.

I'd forgotten about those.  I just planted the last seeds I had and they are some of the few yet to hook.  After I do another round of annuums and others I'll give the all no sprouts a last go.

Decided to get my new ones started. It should be cold enough outside so that the little electric warmer from Bunnings doesn't burn them like an oven when the sun is up and I have a power outlet out there so hopefully that'll work and get them lots of light.

This year I'm trying:

Black Hab
Yellow 7
Yellow Adjoema Scotch Bonnet
Saffron Hab
Purple Hab
Butch T
Cambucci (only had 1 seed left, lol)
White Jellybean Hab
Maraba Yellow
Orange Hab
Cheiro Do Norte
Meltdown Hab (never had any of these germinate)
Fatalii
Serrano (my wife loves 'em and I need a plant)
Purple Capsicum
Hungarian Black.
Orange Lantern (never had one of these germinate, either)
Aji Limon.

Never too early to start.............along as you have the right tools :P

Got a few popping up now, can't wait to get them up and going.
Some people wait till spring but some like to get a head start and do them in winter.
If doing them in winter you will need a heatpad or heat source of some sort and an incubatour or container with a lid to keep them humid.
They will need to go under lights till they are a bit bigger then transplanted to a greenhouse or similar outside in spring to hardened off.

Hey nice list there too Nemspy.
I will be interested to see how the Maraba and Orange Lantern go. Never been able to germinate any seeds from these.

Micca

Hi, new to this forum I'm in Perth and have started a vege garden including four strawberry plants ;) hoping to get some hot hot hot chilli action going and have bought some green life soil! Just wondering where I can get some seeds/seedlings, green life had a small selection all of which I have never heard of.

Hi Bassslayer,

You can buy a good selection if you search for "The hippy seed company". There's also some people here with seeds to share so you might get lucky on the forums. If anyone is after some Cheiro Goias, Hungarian Black, or Jamaican Red seeds I have loads of those spare and would be happy to drop them in the post.

I've got flowers and pods forming on my Red rocotto! I didn't cut it back through winter, but it seems to be enjoying itself even through the cold weather.
I get the feeling we are in for a late winter, winter so far has been too sunny to not get punished all the way into september.

Wildfirechilli she is really good. If you keep an eye on the website they have a stall at canningvale markets. Seeds, plants very helpfull to speak to aswell. The hippy seed company is awesome to. Going to buy some seeds this week for this year and get started this year. Just waiting on my self watering seedling trays and the led light and I will be ready to rock.

Super David said:
I've got flowers and pods forming on my Red rocotto! I didn't cut it back through winter, but it seems to be enjoying itself even through the cold weather.
I get the feeling we are in for a late winter, winter so far has been too sunny to not get punished all the way into september.

Yeah those Rocotos love the winter. They really like a cool climate and found mine gave the best fruits outside of Summer.

dazza82 said:
Wildfirechilli she is really good. If you keep an eye on the website they have a stall at canningvale markets. Seeds, plants very helpfull to speak to aswell. The hippy seed company is awesome to. Going to buy some seeds this week for this year and get started this year. Just waiting on my self watering seedling trays and the led light and I will be ready to rock.

Wildfire is great. Hippyseed, Junglerain are also awesome but you will have to keep in mind that there is suppose to be a 50 buck inspection fee now bringing in seeds to WA from the east.
I really don't think they will or can enforce it but it has come into effect now.

bassslayer said:
Hi, new to this forum I'm in Perth and have started a vege garden including four strawberry plants ;) hoping to get some hot hot hot chilli action going and have bought some green life soil! Just wondering where I can get some seeds/seedlings, green life had a small selection all of which I have never heard of.

Hey Mate welcome to the forum :welcome:

I have a heap of open pollenated Chilli seeds if interested. Open pollenated means I have not isolated them and they might grow up a cross. I have also got some spare vegie seeds too that I won't use.
Drop me a line if interested.

Micca

Yeah the quartine charge is absolutely ridiculous the pricing is just stupid. 56 dollers.I buy alot of stuff from diggers in vic. I try my best to stick to heirloom seeds. They are covering the charge for wa customers for the time being. But will be reviewing it in the future.

Back