• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking How to smoke peppers?

Pecan is the only wood I've tried for smoking peppers so far, and found the results to be outstanding even for my first time smoking peppers, but will be trying some fruit woods soon. Down here in Lafayette pecan is by far the easiest wood to find, followed by hickory and mesquite. Apple and cherry chunks are fairly easy to find, but other fruit woods are almost impossible to source locally.
One thing I've thought of as well since getting accustomed to smoking since moving to the US, is what woods I'd use when I move back to Australia. Thinking macadamia wood would make for a great smoking wood.

Did some T-bones with pecan a long time ago.  Def tasted the nuttiness.  Might just try it with peppers . . .

Easier to go to Lowe's but for years I always bought pecans in the shell, cracked them, ate the pecans and saved the shells.  I have an electric smoker and it doesn't use as much wood / chips as propane or charcoal smokers in my experience.  Also I bought a smoke generator from Smoke Daddy's Inc. so I can cold smoke if I want---don't have to worry about temps.  Hope this was useful.

You can use chipotles in stews, sauces etc.  I use them to make smoked flakes/powder and use them in bbq rubs/seasoning.

Ive noticed that time is an important factor in smoking. I've had smoked items, where all you can taste is the smoke, and thus was overdone for my taste. On the other hand I have had peppers that were just lightly smoked, and had more of what I like, which is a combination of their own unique flavor with a reasonable amount of smoke flavor that blended nicely. Less is more in my opinion.

Student of Spice said:
Question, I do enjoy smoked meats but what do you do with smoked peppers? Cook with them? What types of dishes would one use smoked peppers in?

EVERYTHING! I crush or grind them, use on sushi, soup, spice up store bought salsa.. if i'm eating it , it has some form of powder of flakes on it. 

I think fruit or nut wood is just a personal preference.  I bought some pecan for my first pepper smoke....cause Pookie said so.  I will fall back on what I have available and free like black cherry, apple, hickory and maple.  It's always on hand and grows here.  Tradition should be based on what grows in your area...not what you got to run around town to buy. 

I'm just talking out out loud here so feel free to chime in.

My first smoke...with pecan.

I read and read....then I bugged Chris.  Smoked for 2+ hours but kept it well vented and temps below 130.  When the smoke ran out I kept them between 100 and 120.  This was in an elec smoker.  It took some of them 4 days to dry brittle as recommended.  It has been mentioned to smoke and finish in the oven if you don't have a dehydrator.  Well a 120 degree oven and a 120 degree elec smoker is the same in my book.  I guess humidity can play a big part but I will be buying a dehydrator.  My elec smoker is 450 watts which is in the range of a good dehydrator.   Some step up to 1000 watts.  

Question is....does a dehydrator with a fan pull the moisture out quicker?  Fan vs proper air flow?

Anyhoo here are the results

Picked some yellow 7pots and BS. Two hours on the Traeger before the dehydrator

image_zpstrpsvnf3.jpg

ColdSmoke said:
Does anyone have experience using hickory chips? I'm going to smoke some peppers tonight
Too late as you've probably found out yourself by now, but hickory is one of my preferred woods, along with oak. I much prefer chunks over chips though - the larger the better. The chips just burn up too quickly for a 3-4 hour smoke, imo.

Back