• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How to smoke salt?

jedisushi06 said:
fresh from my freezer.
Excellent news as I have a full freezer. You said you had everything in a jar, then mixed and smoked. Did you discard the peppers or actually blend them up with the salt?

jedisushi06 said:
Dang it your always right lol.

Quoted for posterity. :D :rofl:

PS, if you're going to take phone pics and upload direct to site w/o editing I suggest landscape mode so it won't upload sideways. If you do edit them later, there should not be an issue and when you click save, it should save in the current aspect.

twilliams386 said:
Excellent news as I have a full freezer. You said you had everything in a jar, then mixed and smoked. Did you discard the peppers or actually blend them up with the salt?
this was course pink salt so i blended like 8-10 pods with about 2 cups of salt then let it sit in a jar for a while.  Longer might give it better pepper color.  I'm going to test this theory out sunday when i have time to smoke more salt.  Thinking red pods and cherry wood and also using more pods to salt ratio. 
This stuff wasn't over smoked which was good but could have gone another hour also for more smoke flavor but i;m glad you can still taste the chocolate super hot flavor still and then the smoke.  

The Hot Pepper said:

Quoted for posterity. :D :rofl:

PS, if you're going to take phone pics and upload direct to site w/o editing I suggest landscape mode so it won't upload sideways. If you do edit them later, there should not be an issue and when you click save, it should save in the current aspect.
excellent thanks.  

Awesome. I'm gonna have to try it out this weekend. Got so many processing tasks to experiment with, can't wait! What kind of chocolates did you use? I've got some choc bhut, choc fatalii and choc habanero, might do a mix. First, to find that salt

twilliams386 said:
Awesome. I'm gonna have to try it out this weekend. Got so many processing tasks to experiment with, can't wait! What kind of chocolates did you use? I've got some choc bhut, choc fatalii and choc habanero, might do a mix. First, to find that salt
look on amazon prime for bulk salt.  I used a mix of chocolates, mostly hybrids.

Second attempt is jalapeño salt. Going to let this one sit for a while then dry it out with the sun then applewood smoke
image.jpeg

Back