• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Huge Jalapenos

At my local supermarket where I always buy Jalapenos there normally is nothing nothing special about them, once in a while there will be a few with some black on them. Today the Jalapenos were absolute monsters! The longest one I could find was a full 6 inches in length. The fattest one I could find was nearly 6 inches in circumference. The ones I brought home all weighed over 3 ounces, with the heaviest at 3.6 ounces. To me these are huge. Are these peppers huge to anyone else?

Our local mexican market had some monsters a few months back. I think they tasted even better that way. A lot more moisture and an almost cucumber taste.

these are the biggest one ive seen around here
423371_328421147196236_100000850614845_883573_826063131_n.jpg

I haven't eaten them yet. I will definitely save the seeds. I am going to go back to the store and ask about the source of these peppers.

Definitely try to find that source! Our Japs here, are small and disgustingly NOT hot! Congrats on the fine pepper find!

k

It seems to me that jalapenos have more variance in heat than most other peppers they range from bell pepper to serrano id say, i have always found the ones w/ corking have the best heat and flavor though regardless of the size or color

It seems to me that jalapenos have more variance in heat than most other peppers they range from bell pepper to serrano id say, i have always found the ones w/ corking have the best heat and flavor though regardless of the size or color
I used to think this way too, but then I got a bunch with a lot of corking and they had no heat.

there is nothing worse to me then sinking your teeth into a Jalapenos with no heat or very little noticeable heat....except for having aphids or fungus gnats of course :flamethrower:

So I checked with the produce manager and he couldn't give me any info about the peppers. The box that they were in said "Sweet Superior Fruit LTD. CO." of McAllen, TX. Peppers were grown in Mexico. McAllen is right on the border with Mexico.

As nmorris279 said, germination will be less likely with seeds from a green/unripe pod. Still worth a try because Jalapenos can stay green for a long time and can still be ripe enough to have decent seed. You don't need to dry the seeds first, in fact that would be a disadvantage because they would only have to rehydrate again to get going.

The problem with all the really big Jals is they are usally hybrids that don't produce the same size pods from collected seeds.
Here are some of the larger ones I found around here, they were really good, with pretty good heat as well...didn't use a tape measure, but those are 4" tiles and you can see that they are all much longer than that. Some around the 6" mark I would imagine...maybe even slightly longer.
P1000170.jpg

P1000172.jpg

P1000182.jpg

Who's hungry???

I bought Mucho Nacho Jalapeno seeds from HD and they are really doing well and already full of pods. From the looks of it they are going to be monsters as well. Pods formed well after my regular Jals but are already almost tripple the size. There are several other jumbo Jal varieties out there. I bought these because they claim to be hotter than regualar Jals as well...Looks like I'll be finding out soon enough!

I saw some of these monsters at a couple of local produce markets over the weekend. I can't offer any more knowledge, because I didn't buy any... but I'm seeing them around too.

Got a handful of big big peppers that look like this last night. Usually..at least where I am they don't have much heat so I grab a few serranos and chop em up together and slather it on dinner. Great flavor....just need a heat boost. Hard not to get a bunch. I can't resist!

Back