• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Husker21 2013/2014 Glog Indoor/Outdoor

I have been meaning to keep better notes and records on what I have been messing around with.  This past spring/summer was my first year growing anything.  In July I saw the writing on the wall.  Winter would arrive soon enough and then I would be without pepper plants to keep me occupied until next spring.  So in July I germinate some giant chocolate hab and bhut jolokia indian carbon seeds.  A couple of months later I did the same with some aji limon and tobago seasoning.  

The goal is to produce some pods this winter and then have some kick ass mature plants to plant out in the spring of 2014.  All of these plants are potted up with Coast of Maine Potting Soil that I amended with perlite, bone meal, and some tomato-tone.  I am guessing the red pots are about 4 gallon each.  I think the blue ones are about 1 gallon.  I have a 2' UltraGrow fixture with some T5 bulbs.  In the fixture I have three 6500k and one 3000k bulb.  I am running the light on a timer from 6am to midnight.  I also hit them with a fan for a few hours every other day.

So far the bhut is kicking ass.  I am noticing a lot of flower drop though...  Need to keep an eye on it.  The choco hab went through some rough times.  I was getting leaf drop and some black spots on a lot of the leaves.  The choco hab also got an aggressive pruning that has since taught me to ease up on being all up in my plant's grills.  lol  Both plants were topped at some point.  The bhut also saw a little pruning.

A nice tight family photo (red pot on left is the choco hab, red pot on the right is the bhut, blue pot on the left is the aji limon, blue pot on the right is to tobago seasoning)

image_zps5f49e671.jpg

Zoomed out to show the set up...

image_zpse24a9efa.jpg

Giant choco hab stem...

image_zps7f9b78e8.jpg

Bhut stem...

image_zps1b21c1fc.jpg

Bhut flowers and lots and lots more wanting to open on this plant...

image_zps172ffb26.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Great spread Husker! Looking forward to seeing some hooks! How do you like the rapid rooters?

The only thing I can prepare them to is Jiffy pellets. So far I like them. Kinda early to give the a fair appraisal since this was day 1 with them.

stickman said:
Nice list Chris... A THP chilehead sent me some Tobago Treasure seeds too, and I've been debating whether or not to start them since my garden area is so small... maybe in pots? Good luck with 2014!
Thanks stickman. I will probably mix things up with some raised beds and containers. I was looking for something lower on the heat scale for my wife.

Just finished gluing my light stand/grow tent together.  PVC frame and I am going to wrap it in panda paper.  Once that glue dries... and the fumes subside.... its time to move it to its final destination and load it up with plants and lights.

I have 35 seedlings out of 51 that are ready to come out of the propagater and go under a grow light.  Great germ rates so far and I am hoping for the remain seeds to pop!  Pics once I get it all set up. 

Light set-up is awesome.  Nice job.  Plants look great under the light!

PaulG said:
Light set-up is awesome.  Nice job.  Plants look great under the light!
Thanks. I need to wrap this guy up with panda paper to trap and reflect more of that light. I also need to monitor those F'ing gnats. I never completely killed them off. I noticed a couple buzzing around my seedlings. I know they are more vulnerable to the gnats so I need to hang some fly strips and monitor things carefully.

Thinking about getting another light. I think I will have to pot up those seedlings before they get moved outside and I might need another lighting rig. :)

Husker21 said:
Thanks. I need to wrap this guy up with panda paper to trap and reflect more of that light. I also need to monitor those F'ing gnats. I never completely killed them off. I noticed a couple buzzing around my seedlings. I know they are more vulnerable to the gnats so I need to hang some fly strips and monitor things carefully.
Thinking about getting another light. I think I will have to pot up those seedlings before they get moved outside and I might need another lighting rig. :)
Get some mosquito dunks pronto and put them in the water that you give the plants. The larva in the soil is what eats the roots of all your seedlings.

Jeff H said:
Get some mosquito dunks pronto and put them in the water that you give the plants. The larva in the soil is what eats the roots of all your seedlings.
I have some dunks already. Time to mix up a batch. :)

Edit - just mixed a batch. That is the one annoying thing about the dunks.... Having to let them soak for 12-24 hours before use. My babies need water now. Gonna have to wait until tonight. I might have to turn the light off so they don't get crazy dry.

fighting the gnats here as well. 1/2 inch of straight perilite in the surface helps. Dunks work good but i guess I'm still in a life cycle…they suck and the raid white sticky traps from home depot have worked much better than the little yellow garbage ones. or bowls of cider vin and h20

good luck soldier!

PrimeTime said:
fighting the gnats here as well. 1/2 inch of straight perilite in the surface helps. Dunks work good but i guess I'm still in a life cycle…they suck and the raid white sticky traps from home depot have worked much better than the little yellow garbage ones. or bowls of cider vin and h20

good luck soldier!

Thanks for the ideas!  Sticky traps getting hung today, mosquito dunks soaking... and now I am going to add some cider vin and water to the grow area.  

Wow am I  :oops:  

So the seedlings I started in January stalled out.  No new leaves, looked pale, and I 'thought" it was all due to the fungus gnats taking their toll on the delicate roots.  My buddy who got me into gardening stopped by the other day, took one look at them and asked when the last time I fertilized them.....  They only had one to 3 sets of leaves... I was holding out until they developed a bit more.  Man was I wrong.  I hit them with ferts a few days ago and they immediately bounced back.  Feeding them again today. Time to get these suckers in overdrive before they get planted out at the end of May.  I am stoked that instead of pitching 35 or so crappy seedlings I should be able to save most if not all of them.  I also started a few extra seeds last week as a back up.  Glad I did.  Most of showing hooks and I threw a new variety in there while I was at it.  Psyched to bring the yellow brain strain to the party!

Been spending so much time getting Relaxin' Jack off the ground I have failed to update my GLOG.  This is the first time out of doors for these three plants.  I have gotten pods off these guys for the last few months.  The two big ones are a bhut indian carbon and a red hab.  Those are going in 10 gal root pouches.  The aji limon is going in a 5 gal pouch.  I also had a bout 40 small plants under the lights.  i am saving the healthiest 15-20 and will be giving the rest away to good homes. 

gallery_8228_124_25866.jpg

Back