• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Husker21 2013/2014 Glog Indoor/Outdoor

I have been meaning to keep better notes and records on what I have been messing around with.  This past spring/summer was my first year growing anything.  In July I saw the writing on the wall.  Winter would arrive soon enough and then I would be without pepper plants to keep me occupied until next spring.  So in July I germinate some giant chocolate hab and bhut jolokia indian carbon seeds.  A couple of months later I did the same with some aji limon and tobago seasoning.  

The goal is to produce some pods this winter and then have some kick ass mature plants to plant out in the spring of 2014.  All of these plants are potted up with Coast of Maine Potting Soil that I amended with perlite, bone meal, and some tomato-tone.  I am guessing the red pots are about 4 gallon each.  I think the blue ones are about 1 gallon.  I have a 2' UltraGrow fixture with some T5 bulbs.  In the fixture I have three 6500k and one 3000k bulb.  I am running the light on a timer from 6am to midnight.  I also hit them with a fan for a few hours every other day.

So far the bhut is kicking ass.  I am noticing a lot of flower drop though...  Need to keep an eye on it.  The choco hab went through some rough times.  I was getting leaf drop and some black spots on a lot of the leaves.  The choco hab also got an aggressive pruning that has since taught me to ease up on being all up in my plant's grills.  lol  Both plants were topped at some point.  The bhut also saw a little pruning.

A nice tight family photo (red pot on left is the choco hab, red pot on the right is the bhut, blue pot on the left is the aji limon, blue pot on the right is to tobago seasoning)

image_zps5f49e671.jpg

Zoomed out to show the set up...

image_zpse24a9efa.jpg

Giant choco hab stem...

image_zps7f9b78e8.jpg

Bhut stem...

image_zps1b21c1fc.jpg

Bhut flowers and lots and lots more wanting to open on this plant...

image_zps172ffb26.jpg

Hardening off my plants over the course of this week.  They all get planted out this weekend!  Should be 15 - 20 plants for me this year.

kgetpeppers said:
That plant you had inside really produced well, it had hundreds of flowers on it! very nice.

The red hab cross and aji limon did amazing.  Both put out a lot of pods.  The bhut only put out 3 or 4 small pods over the same period of time.  I think it will hit the ground running once I have it potted up in a 10 gal root pouch.

Yeah, I have about 6-8 plants in root pouches now and they were small to begin with from a bad start. They are freaking taking off now and the pouches are only about 7 gallons!

Chewi said:
Right on Chris I'm digging the root pouches too!

I did a mixture of pouches and some pots I had left over from last year.  So far I am liking the pots.  Here is a pic of the family.  The only plants not in this picture are my cucs.

gallery_8228_124_23827.jpg

My two babies that I had under a light for a full year are getting huge outside in their 10 gal root pouches.  The one in the lower right of the pic is putting out an unidentified pod (any ideas on what it is?) that will eventually ripen to red (at least it did this winter while indoors).  The one in the upper left is a bhut india carbon.  The other varieties I planted out are looking great as well.

gallery_8228_124_119879.jpg

Unidentified pod

gallery_8228_124_87064.jpg

Bhut

gallery_8228_124_91245.jpg

Looks like you've got a purple Naga going there Chris... good deal! I haven't been by since this past winter and thought I'd stop in to see how things are going. Just... Wow! You've definitely got it going on buddy! Your plants are far ahead of mine.. heck, the flowers on my Chinense plants just started sticking this week. Keep up the good great work!

My two overwinters are going nuts.  I will post up some pics shortly.  One of the plant has thrown out three different shaped pods.  One looks very bhutish, one looks like a large hab, and I even have a bunch with stingers.  Some of them are even bumpy like a brain strain.

For now... Jimmy Nard in the house!

gallery_8228_124_19135.jpg

I just sliced this 7 pot orange up and threw it in a quesadilla with some cheddar and cream cheese.  I also tried a few slices freshly sliced off the pod.  Great taste and tolerable heat.  Def planting more of these next season.

gallery_8228_124_31696.jpg

Back