• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hybrid Mode 01 2015

IMG_0181_zps49d2ecab.jpg

Nice dirt! But how much does it cost to make that mix? You have some good stuff in there but it seems like it would be the same price or cheaper to buy some farmfox or happy frog. And how DARE you use the good spaghetti fork to mix your damn dirt!! You could of used a stick or a small shovel but noooo you had to get the F**KING spaghetti fork!! No wonder we can't have nice things!............Sorry I just turned into my wife for a second

those rotisseries are bullshit loud. the one i got for 5 bucks at this garage sale sounded like mountain lion inside a metallic trashcan screaming.

perhaps mine was broken.

Grass Snake said:
Nice dirt! But how much does it cost to make that mix? You have some good stuff in there but it seems like it would be the same price or cheaper to buy some farmfox or happy frog. And how DARE you use the good spaghetti fork to mix your damn dirt!! You could of used a stick or a small shovel but noooo you had to get the F**KING spaghetti fork!! No wonder we can't have nice things!............Sorry I just turned into my wife for a second

I checked the price of FF soil last night and was floored. Farm King wanted like 12 bucks for a small bag (appeared to be less than 1 ft3. The stuff I'm making is waaaay cheaper. Also, why make Bisquick pancakes when you can make your own homemade sourdough buttermilk pancakes with orange zest and a little cardamom? Mine is better. I don't trust a product that claims to have all those VIABLE organisms when it's been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long in who knows what kinda climate control.
     And about that spaghetti fork… Who uses those things for spaghetti anyway? I just dump the noodles out of the pot onto a plate, or use a stick or small shovel. Besides, those spaghetti forks always seem to smell like dirt. Which, I guess, isn't a really bad thing. The inside of that soil tub smells like a goddamn botanical garden! Imagine that wonderful smell of a nice humid greenhouse combined with an old growth forest after a rain. Mmmm. Now I'm hungry for spaghetti...

queequeg152 said:
those rotisseries are bullshit loud. the one i got for 5 bucks at this garage sale sounded like mountain lion inside a metallic trashcan screaming.

perhaps mine was broken.

Methinks yours was fucked. Mine sounds like a small electric motor inside a small metallic trashcan which also contains a chicken. It's kinda noisy, but it's sooo worth it.
     It's like back in college when I had a really loud car stereo. Sure car alarms are obnoxious, but the sense of satisfaction one attains having set one off simply by listening to "Piku" by the Chemical Brothers at an appropriate listening level completely outweighs any annoyance.
     Besides, I got mine completely free. Third hand.
tctenten said:

How long does that need to cook before you can use it?

I totally glossed over the second half of your question last night. Sorry about that. I'm not sure how long it will take for the nutes I added to be converted to microbe mass. I've never done this before. I figure a couple of months ought to do it, though. 

Great looking soil you've got cooking, and I agree the cost of fox farms is a bit ridiculous. No one around here even carries it if I wanted to try it so I'd have to factor in shipping costs on top of the already high price. And with over 100 containers (might make a raised bed to cut containers down) it would cost me a small fortune to use it. I love good ole pro mix bx that I can get by the bale and then add goodies to it. And I also love the smell of good soil, something just so satisfying and calming about it. Maybe just picturing all the beautiful pods on beautiful plants to come.

Scorched said:
Great looking soil you've got cooking, and I agree the cost of fox farms is a bit ridiculous. No one around here even carries it if I wanted to try it so I'd have to factor in shipping costs on top of the already high price. And with over 100 containers (might make a raised bed to cut containers down) it would cost me a small fortune to use it. I love good ole pro mix bx that I can get by the bale and then add goodies to it. And I also love the smell of good soil, something just so satisfying and calming about it. Maybe just picturing all the beautiful pods on beautiful plants to come.

Thanks for the props on the soil. I'll definitely keep the glog updated when it comes time to mix a batch for my containers. 
     Picturing all the pods my plants are going to produce this season is putting a big ol' grin on my face as of late. Due, in large part, to all the acquisitions I made on your seed train. 2015 is going to be a lot more colorful thanks to you and all the other seed hoarders who participated. One of these days, I'll get a grow list put together and post it here. 

Dude,

I don't care what name you go under. Those reapers you sent me put out seeds that are going batshit! I've got twins, thriplets, hell even quads in some of my birthing cups. (I always put at least two seeds on a hole for better odds)

I'm swimmin in beatiful healthy reaper seedlings!

THANK YOU SIR

juanitos said:
interesting to see your more natural grow this year. followed

I'm kind of curious to see how it turns out, myself. Each year I've grown, I've adopted more and more organic gardening practices. And each year my garden turns out better. I'm sure things would have improved if I had gone other routes as well, but I can't argue with numbers. 
     Besides, working with nature instead of constantly battling it just makes sense. It's a little bit more of an investment in time and money at the start. But in the long run, every step I've taken further into the realm of organic growing has paid off in increased yield, lower overall cost, less headaches and, for me at least, it's just more fun!

Rymerpt said:
Dude,

I don't care what name you go under. Those reapers you sent me put out seeds that are going batshit! I've got twins, thriplets, hell even quads in some of my birthing cups. (I always put at least two seeds on a hole for better odds)

I'm swimmin in beatiful healthy reaper seedlings!

THANK YOU SIR

I'm so glad to hear you're making good use of them, Ryme! I hope they stay healthy, grow true and continue to burn your face off for seasons to come!

And now, the update...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJ1lrllZ7o

Today is just one of those days (8oF, 30mph wind, cloudy, snowing) when you just want to sit down near a heat mat, in front of some blindingly bright fluorescent lights, next to a shortwave radio playing some Latin music from somewhere in the Caribbean, and play in the dirt...
dfd6f1b5-3f4f-44f4-abff-da48db242f75_zps2dcd9b8f.jpg

…so I did.

This year, I decided to hold off on starting my annuums until sometime in February. They just get too big and crowded by plant-out. So I just started the chinenses, pubescens and wilds today. 
     I started with the soil I had incubating (see earlier post) and added a bag of coarse perlite and a bunch of leftover seedling stunting soil (crap) from last year. I ended up with a nice light mix that looks like it will hold water fairly well. 
     Instead of starting seeds on paper towels like I have the last few years, I decided to direct sow. Last year I had a hard time maintaining a good seed-starting temp and I wasted a bunch of seeds. Also, this year I want to try inoculating my seedlings with mycorrhizal fungi. It made more sense to add inoculant to the soil near the roots than to try to apply it the radicle of a sprouted seed. Three seeds of each variety were planted in a 4" square plastic pot. We'll see how this goes...
     OK, enough of that crap. Here's the list for the first wave:

7 pot Burgundy
7 pot Douglah
7 pot Brainstrain Yellow (only had one good seed - fingers crossed)
7 pot Madballz Caramel
7 pot Bubblegum
Bhut Jolokia Assam Indian Carbon
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
SB7J
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Habanero Chocolate (2)
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow
Bradley's Bahamian Goat
Bonda Ma Jacques
Datil
Fatalii Mustard
Fatalii "Mortalii" (ikeepfish)
Cheiro Roxa
CGN 21500
Fatalii x Red Savina (impending_bending)

Orange Manzano
Peru Bitdumi
Rio Huallaga
Rocoto Andes Red
Giant Mexican Rocoto

Cumari Pollux
C. galapagoense
CAP 539
CAP 215
CGN 22795

I set up my germ table yesterday and did a shakedown run of my new heat mat and thermostat. I figured I'd check to see if all my bulbs lit up, too. (The fluoro bulbs, not an IQ test…)
IMG_0190_zps8bede316.jpg

And finally, here's a shot of all the pots - basking in the "sun", jammin' to some Radio Havana.
IMG_0191_zps09943c78.jpg

That's it for now. I'll have more pics once I get some hooks. Any guesses for the first variety to poke it's head? We could make this interesting… Anybody wanna win some stuff?

-HM01

I'll guess Rocoto seeing as I have had some great germination times with mine this season. That, and they are the only species I have any experience with on your grow list.  :)

Waiting for my pods to ripen down here, but I can't wait for my next starts.  :D

Great set up BTW.

SR.

queequeg152 said:
nice stetup.

i found that radio to be strange.
i saw that image... and i was like... wtf, KILO herts? but then i read the post.

Thanks. I put the light rack together a couple of years ago and decided after last season that I needed some supplemental heat. I think those seedlings ought to have everything they need this year.
     Would 11635 MHz have been less weird? It'll be a while before I get a radio that operates in that freq range...

Shorerider said:
I'll guess Rocoto seeing as I have had some great germination times with mine this season. That, and they are the only species I have any experience with on your grow list.  :)

Waiting for my pods to ripen down here, but I can't wait for my next starts.  :D

Great set up BTW.

SR.

Thanks. So now the question is: Which rocoto?  ;)
     I know what you mean about itching to start seeds. I'm surprised I held off as long as I did this season.

organic pepper said:
Great looking DYI!

Thanks! I think I may have "Done Myself In" this season. ;) I don't know where I'm going to plant all these guys in spring. I still need to make room for annuums and baccatums...

ChiliNoob said:
I'll guess the Fatalii Mustard.

Nice grow list BTW - I had to google a few of the varieties...

Thanks, I'm really happy with what I was able to get my hands on this year. My list sure has come a long way from what it was only a few years ago!
     And I've got you down for Mustard Fatalii. Should I post pics of the grand prize in the next update, or keep it a surprise?

miguelovic said:
I love Do Yourself It!

Christ, so that's what happened to those babies...

Looks like a great start. Getting some leaf mould pile envy here, I've got an inny compared to that :D The wind was against me, and blew everything on to the neighbours properties. Win/lose.

:rofl: Yeah, babies don't compost so good. And I guess they need air and stuff or whatever. I dunno. I'm not a parent. 
     Yeah, I have big plans for that leaf mold this season. (Mulch. So, I guess not so big…)  I work hard to collect them in fall. I'm like a goddamn Hungry, Hungry Hippo with those things come September. Next year, you gotta go all covert ops and steal 'em back from the neighbors' yards at night, when they aren't looking. Or, just gank 'em from the curb before the city comes to pick them up. My neighbor and I have kind of a tacit agreement. I shovel his sidewalk in winter and he gives me all the leaves I can handle in fall. Also, in spring, he gives me garbage cans heaping with silver maple seeds. I haven't researched it, but I bet those fuckers are LOADED with nutrients!  :party:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
 Thanks. So now the question is: Which rocoto?  ;) 
I know what you mean about itching to start seeds. I'm surprised I held off as long as I did this season.

Rocoto Ades Red.

queequeg152 said:
yea the heat mats are rad. i was thinking of building something similarly large with floor heating film.

do these shortwave deals have fairly large antenna?

Neat "DYI" plan. (Sorry, organic pepper.  :D ) Is floor heating film something you can just lay down over a table top, like just a cut-to-size resistor grid? That would be a good way to warm a large area for cheap.
     Antennas can be as big as you want. That radio in the pic is just a tiny portable unit. (A Tecsun PL-505) It comes with a little telescopic whip attached (about 18-20" long), and it has a 1/8" minijack port for an external antenna. Most nights I have no problem finding lots to listen to using just the whip.
     I occasionally use a ~15' wire strung up in a tree or around the ceiling if I want better reception. You could use a longer wire, but little radios like these tend to have overloading problems (strong local stations "splatter" across much of the radio's frequency range.) However, these new Tecsun radios that are running Silicon Labs digital signal processing chips seem to be all but immune to this problem. Leave it to American ingenuity to save the day!  :clap:

Shorerider said:

Rocoto Ades Red.

Got it! I dunno how I'll get the prize to Oz. But if you win, dammit, I'll find a way! 
Rymerpt said:
The first up will be chocolate hab. My 2¢

Got you down! (Way to play the odds!  :D )

Back