• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Hydroponic Mango Tree

24 hours later!
looking good and moving fast!!
IMAG1064_zps2737abbb.jpg

my little hydro seed popped up today! Should be interesting to see if it can catch up to the soil seed that sprouted several days ago. Same lighting, one hydro one soil.
P1030448_zps365b16c9.jpg

and for a reference, this is what the soil one looks like today. It has a nice head start.
P1030452_zps9cb8df60.jpg

Thats really quick progress, something must be wrong with my plant comparing to the speed of your growth. Growing from seed gives faster growth I guess but mine has just produced a couple of new leafs in half a year. I wonder if my mango tree is grafted or a stickling, it was already like 30cm when I bought it. Any way to tell this?

When your hydro mango tree grows big it must be hard to transplant without causing a lot of root damage? Maybe you could just grow it dwarf this way and still get fruit.

Cant take a picture right now since the plant is at my home in Norway but I'm in China now.

Found some old pictures that was taken right after I bought it. Dunno why the top looked cut off like that. It's not rootbound, at least before I left Norway which is some months ago. When it was bought it came inside a tiny pot.

IMG_2810_zpsdf49d09f.jpg

IMG_2809_zpsb14f7d51.jpg

IMG_2808_zps378d115b.jpg

They are very slow growers. I read it takes 8 months for their leaves to mature. Which is why it can take up to 7 years for them to produce fruit. My indoor mangos are getting 18 hours of light so I think thats helping them along. I imagine their growth will slow at some point.
yes my outdoor mangos went through some stress transplanting them, which is why I think there hasnt been much in the way of new growth. They need to re establish their roots. I think they will take off soon.
transplanting from hydro to hydro won't be too stressfull I don't think, because I should be able to do it without damaging the roots. Coming from soil and washing it all out damages it. They aren't dead though!!

and I think they cut the tops off seedlings to encourage a more bushy tree. They did that several times on the mango seedling I got.

I'll update some photos tonight....if I can. Christmas party for work today.
The hydro seedling already has a thick stem than the soil one and also a side sprout. I'm sure it will surpass the soil seedling.

crazy leaves on the indoor soil mango...they are touching the ground! I guess 18 hours of light has made the leaves out grow the stem!
P1030457_zps3aa502ca.jpg

The leaves on the indoor hydro are starting to take off now.
Although it doesn't look it, the stem on the hydro mango is just over 2 inches taller than the soil mango! Its leaves just need to catch up!
P1030458_zpsa7027d1a.jpg

Nothing major to report on the bigger outdoor mangos yet, Little green nubs starting to pop out but no new leaves popping out or anything.

crazy leaves on the indoor soil mango...they are touching the ground! I guess 18 hours of light has made the leaves out grow the stem!
P1030457_zps3aa502ca.jpg

The leaves on the indoor hydro are starting to take off now.
Although it doesn't look it, the stem on the hydro mango is just over 2 inches taller than the soil mango! Its leaves just need to catch up!
P1030458_zpsa7027d1a.jpg

Nothing major to report on the bigger outdoor mangos yet, Little green nubs starting to pop out but no new leaves popping out or anything.

How tall is those plants? Seems like you're outgrowing mine in such a short time!

still only small! the hydro is almost 15 cm tall.

how tall is yours now?

That seems like really fast growth rate! Sure will take some time until the stem hardens up and the leaves turn pure green.

I'd love to measure it, traveling back to Norway tomorrow so in a couple of days I could give an update :) Hopefully the people caring for it didnt kill it while I was gone haha

Hydro is 17cm tall and the leaves are getting big, I think its safe to say it has caught up to and passed the soil mango.
P1030473_zps3173c1ae.jpg

Soil mango is only 8cm and the leaf growth has slowed down
P1030475_zps9d20fb50.jpg

nothing new on the outdoor mangos...I think they are still recovering from the transplants and getting their roots established. Small signs of new growth coming up.

My plant certainly hasn't become tall and full of fruit! It's only become a stick without a single leaf. I had to cut some of the top off because it was rotting a bit.

Think it's been too close to the window during the really cold days, room temperature is warm but close to window I imagine it can get pretty cold. That's my theory though, maybe you have some other suggestion.

Hope it comes back because it's not like I can get my own new mango tree in this country, brought it will be from Spain when traveling. Though sometimes we do have mango's in the supermarket, could possibly grow from seed.

Here is the plant on death bed:

P1040087_zps29d32ed3.jpg

P1040091_zps5ed3fb27.jpg

Bugger! You might have to put a light over it for winter? Yes you could sprout your own from seed!

Do you think too little light would cause leaves to drop? I thought the sign of too little light would be new pale green stretched growth. I know very little about mango plants though

I dont know much either! lots of plants drop their leaves when the temperature is down and the days are shorter. So I guess the mango could be doing the same thing? I know chilies stretch without enough light but I'm not picturing a mango tree stretching.
I'd be guessing a bigger pot and more light would fix it up

Things are finally moving along on the outdoor bigger mangos!
Easy to see where the new growth died from the transplant and now the new stuff is making its way through the middle!
P1030484_zpsb83015ba.jpg

P1030485_zps0b84ceff.jpg

I have been watching this thread since you started it. I am in awe at how quickly your mangos from seed sprouted. they look very hearty and healthy too. Nice work!!! Can't wait to watch your babies grow more :)

Good luck with your guy Slashroot. Hope he comes back. I know it's probably way different then pepper plants but your soil looks pretty wet. I agree probably could use more light and heat maybe? i don't know like I said probably way different then a pepper. Just my thoughts.

Very cool thread to check out.

Back