• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I can't be bothered. Or CBF.

O.k. Another thread inspired me to start this thread.

For whatever reason you can not, do not, will not, want or need or as the thread title suggests, be bothered to go shopping for food today.

Be it brekkie, lunch, snacks, dinner or dessert.

You HAVE to make do with whatever is in your refridgerator / pantry / coolbox / bomb shelter / hidden stash in the wardrobe / buried...well you get the idea.

What gastronomic feast will you be making today from what you have on hand?

Don't be shy / embarrased / shamed e.t.c. Here on THP we love ALL things food and weird ass sheeit.

Nothing wrong with 2 minute noodles with eggplant and tofu.

Post it. It's all good.

Alright typical sunday, 3 in a row now, crank the wood fired oven up, throw 4 chooks in it. Lunches for the week.

Did a green chilli jam chicken and a bbq chook, also some poppers (popper thread) and few roast vegies.

Heres a shot of the oven, coincidence that the oven brand i built logo is a chilli, i think not.

SDC11290.jpg

SDC11289.jpg

SDC11294.jpg

SDC11297.jpg

Sorry to ht you guys back-to-back with what is almost the same thing....

One more coconut pancake, and the last one for this thread, as I used the last egg in the fridge. After this I'll have to go to the store, which is outside the scope of this thread. This time I used less coconut powder but more ricotta. It also yielded a thicker batter - thick enough that I had to spread it in the skillet after I poured it in. So no rolling this time, either. Seasoned the batter this time with cinnamon, and touches of clove, coriander, and ancho chile powder. On top, nuked the last red pear in the fridge with a touch of sugar and ginger syrup. Mmmmmm.... what a good combo!

P1010100.JPG

P1010101.JPG

You know I can't really cook - like Bob Ross, I just have happy little accidents in the kitchen from time to time.....

I have a dish I call tomatillo shrimp, which is a southwest style dish. I saw a recipe for a tomatillo salad in a magazine one day, and thought I could morph it into a hot dish, which I did. Never make it the same way twice, but it generally involves tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, garlic, shrimp, lime juice, peppers of one sort or another, cumin, cilantro, tequila, and who knows what else. Sent my son to the grocery store roughly a week ago with a list that included ingredients for tomatillo shrimp.

Fast forward to tonight. Apparently he doesn't know to peel back the "paper" on tomatillos to make sure they're actually good before buying them, so I found I only had 3 usable ones. Tomatoes? Yeah, a whopping two, and they were small Romas. The onion was apparently used in another dish, so nix the onion entirely. Not only that, but apparently he doesn't know how to read labels on shelves, and also doesn't know the difference between fresh cilantro and fresh parsley. Hmmm.....Started diggin in the fridge - just what DO we have? I guess TB would call this "fusion" of some sort....

Slapped some olive oil in a pan, then started tossing veggies in - some leftover mushrooms and red and green bell pepper from the SOTM, the single ripe jalapeno from my garden, and oh, what the heck? Leftover bok choy from I can't even remember what.....
P1010123.JPG

Toss in the tomatillo and tomatoe.... No pic, but after this threw in the green part of the bok choy for a tad, then moved all the veggies to a bowl for a few.
P1010124.JPG

Shrimpers.... Two different kinds bought on two different occassions, threw in some garlic, cumin, sea salt, allspice....
P1010125.JPG

Oh yeah, before I even slapped the veggies into the pan, mixed up a sauce with hot pepper bean paste, fish sauce, ginger juice and ginger syrup... Toss the veggies back in with the shrimps, add more of the same seasonings as on the shrimp plus also dried cilantro and oregano, just a touch of the fresh parsley, some lime juice, and then throw the sauce in...
P1010126.JPG

There ya go, all mixed in together:
P1010127.JPG

Slap that on some rice, cross your fingers, and EAT!
P1010128.JPG

So yeah. In theory, if I knew how to cook, I'd have a pretty good idea if all this stuff would go well together or not. Like does lime juice go well with fish sauce? Gotta admit, I kind of looked at my plate and hesitated for a second, because I hadn't even tried it while in the process of cooking. Just threw in whatever caught my eye ATM..... and managed to forget to add any tequila. Ah well.

Would I make this again?

YES!

Would I change anything? No! This just-start-slapping-things-together approach worked pretty darned well. I'm not normally a huge eater (consider the plating pic is a salad plate), but I went back for seconds. Strangely, though, the taste of it kind of made me think of something from Louisiana.... It's all good!

The price of groceries these days prevents me from cooking.

Why the hell would I cook during the week when I can get sandwiches off the dollar menu? It'd cost me 5 times that much to cook anything comparable.

So the sister in law, just got back from her honeymoon in Jamaica..... this means i have some new Jamaican Hot Sauce, will be getting used tonight in a simple dish

Attachments

• SDC11427.JPG
    SDC11427.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 52
Lazy dinner tonight, something quick and hassle free.

What have we got here, some bacon bits, lot of pineapple, Ham steaks, cheese, sauce. Thats a meal right there. Fried the bacon bits, caramelised the pineapple, fried the ham steaks, layer pineapple on top, cover in cheese, bacon bits on top, bbq sauce, under the grill. Top with Scotch Bonnet sauce

Attachments

• SDC11431.JPG
    SDC11431.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC11435.JPG
    SDC11435.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SDC11437.JPG
    SDC11437.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC11438.JPG
    SDC11438.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC11442.JPG
    SDC11442.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 52
I would be just fine with those ham mountains for dinner.

Not sure why I haven't paid much attention to this thread, but this is how most meals get made in our household.

Going to the store can be a real bitch sometimes

Lazy dinner tonight, something quick and hassle free.

What have we got here, some bacon bits, lot of pineapple, Ham steaks, cheese, sauce. Thats a meal right there. Fried the bacon bits, caramelised the pineapple, fried the ham steaks, layer pineapple on top, cover in cheese, bacon bits on top, bbq sauce, under the grill. Top with Scotch Bonnet sauce

I want to eat this twice this week!!!!!!!!!!!

Under the pump at work to commision our systems. So up at 5:20am home at 7:30pm, what a day, and most likely the same tomorrow. Had some scotch fillet thawing in the fridge, but due to lack of time this afternoon, CBF'd.

I do 99% of the cooking at home, but tonight the mrs has pulled through something great.

Garlic & Olive Oil Sourdough, avocado spread on the bottom, topped with tomato and cheddar. Top bun covered in Chilli Jam and Caramelised Onion. Steak in the guts, top with Rocket. Delicious.

Now this thing was HUGE!!!!!!!

Attachments

• SDC11498.JPG
    SDC11498.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 55
  • SDC11499.JPG
    SDC11499.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 56
  • SDC11504.JPG
    SDC11504.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC11507.JPG
    SDC11507.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 54
We were just going to do chix thighs on the grill tonight, but didn't get around to starting dinner until after it was dark, so decided to do something different. Dug around in the 'fridger-frater, and came up with this:

P1010259.JPG

Chix thighs doused in sea salt, garlic, oregano, sun-dried tomatoes, purple jalapenos, pepperoncini, and green olives with pimiento. All sauteed in the olive oil from the tomatoes. Nice finds!

looks good ... we had a bunch of chx thigh variants in the past month and it's def something we'll be integrating into our regular routine ...

So tonight, I CBF, right...

What do we have in the fridge and cupboard? (Not a helluva lot... shopping is on the list for tomorrow!)

IMG_8369.JPG

Hmmm... :think:

IMG_8375.JPG

If in doubt... jaffle it! :drooling:

Back