• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I love my guns

Jeff H said:
I can definitely shoot my 1911 more accurately than my shield 40, but lugging that thing around all day would get tiring, not to mention trying to conceal it in the summer. Glad you like your 45 though. If the gun manufactures had one as small as the Shield 40, I would have gone with a 45 myself.

As far as the cost of ammo- reload. It doesn't cost me hardly any more to load 45 than 38spl or 9. About $6/box of 50 if I shoot lead.

Ironically your shield 40 is about the same size as my XDS 45 compact. Here is a picture for comparison. Its the slimmest 45 made that I am aware of. When it first came out it was considered a game changer, and its very accurate.
https://d2444os31gbwts.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/AB3A2227.jpg
The Xds 45 is in the middle next to the shield. Of course since its a single stack I can only fire six at a time, but it should be enough. If I need more than that to defend myself I am in trouble.

Here is another showing how thin it is compared to the Shield 9, Glock 36 and Ruger LC 9.  The XDS 9 and 45 are identical in size btw.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/photo-gallery/205824-xds-comparison-photos-glock-36-ruger-lc9-s-w-shield.html

I was really trying NOT to include myself in the "gun nutter---they gonna take my sh*t--4 dead in Ohio" crowd. (Sarcasm)

I failed utterly. :doh:

Yes, I follow these items on a daily basis, and I have a casual relationship with many of the people prominent in recent (and past) news in my state.

But you won't see my mug on any of the video reporting and news stories.

AaronTT said:
Ironically your shield 40 is about the same size as my XDS 45 compact. Here is a picture for comparison. Its the slimmest 45 made that I am aware of. When it first came out it was considered a game changer, and its very accurate.
https://d2444os31gbwts.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/AB3A2227.jpg
The Xds 45 is in the middle next to the shield. Of course since its a single stack I can only fire six at a time, but it should be enough. If I need more than that to defend myself I am in trouble.

Here is another showing how thin it is compared to the Shield 9, Glock 36 and Ruger LC 9.  The XDS 9 and 45 are identical in size btw.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/photo-gallery/205824-xds-comparison-photos-glock-36-ruger-lc9-s-w-shield.html
My Kimber Utra CDP II has a 3" barrel including chamber (actual rifled section is more like 2") and will eat anything inside 75' to pieces and will ring steel out to 100 yds with reloaded 230gr rn and 3.5 grs of bullseye. Its not that heavy to tote around and although it may not be double stack, Its 8 rd capacity inc barney round is more than enough. And if for some reason I do need more, like 9 bad guys, I carry an extra mag with me and 3 more in the car. BTW, This Kimber is the one in my avatar.

HP22BH said:
My Kimber Utra CDP II has a 3" barrel including chamber (actual rifled section is more like 2") and will eat anything inside 75' to pieces and will ring steel out to 100 yds with reloaded 230gr rn and 3.5 grs of bullseye. Its not that heavy to tote around and although it may not be double stack, Its 8 rd capacity inc barney round is more than enough. And if for some reason I do need more, like 9 bad guys, I carry an extra mag with me and 3 more in the car. BTW, This Kimber is the one in my avatar.
That one is a bad ass gun, but quite expensive. Its about twice as expensive as the one I got. It is a real beaut. though.  Its one I want, but hard to justify at the moment. I could just go ahead and spring for it, but out of respect for my wife I will leave it for now. Definitely in time though :lol:

Here it's 25 yards. Which I think is crazy. It's really hard to get a permit here though.

Jeff H said:

If it was anything like Ohio, the instructors will walk you through it, even if you shoot badly, they don't want anyone to fail.

IIRC, everything I shot was in the 9 ring or better at a pathetic 10 yards and the instructors were so impressed because most people could barely hit the target. Yet they all passed. :rolleyes:

Just bought one of these today.
m500tp_1.jpg

Didn't know you could get a pistol grip in CA.

Assuming I own guns, I have to say...I love my guns too...otherwise

guns?  what guns?  Those are garden rakes. :shh:

ikeepfish said:
Didn't know you could get a pistol grip in CA.

Assuming I own guns, I have to say...I love my guns too...otherwise

guns?  what guns?  Those are garden rakes. :shh:
Yeah these liberal idiots have not gone that far yet but give them time! They think everyone should just drop all their weapons and hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :rolleyes:

Proud Marine Dad said:
Yeah these liberal idiots have not gone that far yet but give them time! They think everyone should just drop all their weapons and hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :rolleyes:
I'm a classical liberal, I support the right to carry and the right to marry ;) And less government (that includes taxes).  I don't know what you would call what's happening in CA but it isn't exactly liberal.  Disarming people violates the very principles of the liberalism that this country was founded upon.

I don't think you can actually get pistol grips for shotguns in Virginia, and we have some of the loosest gun laws in the country.  Open carry here is legal without any kind of permit as long as it isn't in a bar or place of worship.  You also can't buy shurikens (throwing stars) for some bizarre reason.

ikeepfish said:
I'm a classical liberal, I support the right to carry and the right to marry ;) And less government (that includes taxes).  I don't know what you would call what's happening in CA but it isn't exactly liberal.  Disarming people violates the very principles of the liberalism that this country was founded upon.

I don't think you can actually get pistol grips for shotguns in Virginia, and we have some of the loosest gun laws in the country.  Open carry here is legal without any kind of permit as long as it isn't in a bar or place of worship.  You also can't buy shurikens (throwing stars) for some bizarre reason.

Ikeepfish, I think you are missing the fact that it still has a butstock. Pistol grips are legal on shotguns in VA as long as the gun isn't too short.

The applicable VA statutes are:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-299

§ 18.2-299. Definitions.

When used in this article:

"Sawed-off shotgun" means any weapon, loaded or unloaded, originally designed as a shoulder weapon, utilizing a self-contained cartridge from which a number of ball shot pellets or projectiles may be fired simultaneously from a smooth or rifled bore by a single function of the firing device and which has a barrel length of less than 18 inches for smooth bore weapons and 16 inches for rifled weapons. Weapons of less than .225 caliber shall not be included.

"Sawed-off rifle" means a rifle of any caliber, loaded or unloaded, which expels a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is designed as a shoulder weapon with a barrel or barrels length of less than 16 inches or which has been modified to an overall length of less than 26 inches.

"Crime of violence" applies to and includes any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of the same, namely, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, rape, mayhem, assault with intent to maim, disable, disfigure or kill, robbery, burglary, housebreaking, breaking and entering and larceny.

"Person" applies to and includes firm, partnership, association or corporation.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-300

§ 18.2-300. Possession or use of "sawed-off" shotgun or rifle.

A. Possession or use of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of a crime of violence is a Class 2 felony.

B. Possession or use of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle for any other purpose, except as permitted by this article and official use by those persons permitted possession by § 18.2-303, is a Class 4 felony.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.
The above citation isn't my research. I swiped it from THR.

Also a stupid legal comment about your shurieken (sp) story: The wife and I came back from the camper the other day with a couple of dull kitchen knives. I put them on the dashboard while we drove home. My wife tried to grab them and put them in her purse because she didn't want anyone seeing them out on the dash. I had to stop her asking if she really wanted to commit a felony for carrying a concealed deadly weapon......Ohio has no statute dealing with concealed knives larger than pocket knives.

Funny thing is that the whole time, I had a loaded .40 right next to me. Perfectly legal. But the knives needed to be out. :rolleyes:

nifty, not that I would need one, assuming I have shotguns, I would use slugs.  Bummer we can't hunt with rifles in this county, the eastern end is "too flat" or some nonsense...but we can use slugs.  And fire rifles.  But not hunt with them.  Bogus.

CWPs are relatively easy to get here. You do a course,..you can actually take it online nowadays I believe.  I wonder why they call center fire rifles and pistols "assault firearms" and when did that happen. 

"assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Something is considered an "assault firearm" because of the size of the magazine?    that wasn't part of Virginia's statute before, nor have I heard or seen anything about it.  This is a little weird and seems like something done on the sly by the gun grabbers.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Still deciding on what ammo I am going to put in the 12 gauge for home defense. I am thinking buckshot or maybe slugs to neutralize the threat quickly and keep the threat of them hurting my family to a minimum.

FIFY.

No thanks Jeff those rounds are too dangerous in a home setting. Anyone who uses slugs for home defense is irresponsible! As one expert I have been watching videos from says, "you are accountable for every projectile that goes down range from your weapon."
If you miss with a slug you could easily penetrate the neighbors house and kill an innocent person.

Know your target and and what lies beyond. If I were in a situation where I might not have the time to ascertain what lies beyond (home defense), then I would want to take steps to lower the chances of destroying it. I would go with the smaller shot size.

Proud Marine Dad said:
No thanks Jeff those rounds are too dangerous in a home setting. Anyone who uses slugs for home defense is irresponsible! As one expert I have been watching videos from says, "you are accountable for every projectile that goes down range from your weapon."
If you miss with a slug you could easily penetrate the neighbors house and kill an innocent person.

Yeah, I just got on a roll fixing your post because I thought bird shot was a really bad idea. I wouldn't use slugs either, but I surely would use buckshot. No way would I rely on bird shot to keep a guy  down . 

Penetration tests: http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-3-the-shotgun-meets-the-box-o-truth/

So the lesson is… Use 3.5" birdshot Nitromags. Full-auto. That way you don't have to question the knockdown power of one shell. There will be several more shots on their way before the bad guy hits the floor.
     But seriously Jeff, thanks for posting that. I've got some more reading to do… Until then I'll stick to my 1911 with 78gr. +P hollow points for all my indoor shooting needs.

Back