• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

I Love Snakes!!!!!!

DickT said:
What kind of snake is that....awesome shots

To be honest I don't know but it looks like a brown snake (in the top 5 most venomous snakes in the world) and that is pretty scary to see one that size....

I could be wrong though...

moyboy - I didnt know you aussies had rock pythons

the pictures lord shows (BTW great pictures!), the snake across the road IS!! an anaconda! (dont know if right but thought there was 2 kinds of anacondas, one being a green anaconda another ?)
which is not the longest snake, that record goes to the retic python but the anaconda (boa) holds the biggest snake record (girth,length,weight)
the others are of the carpet python then, correct ? its been awhile since I knew most of'em

chilehunter said:
moyboy - I didnt know you aussies had rock pythons

the pictures lord shows (BTW great pictures!), the snake across the road IS!! an anaconda! (dont know if right but thought there was 2 kinds of anacondas, one being a green anaconda another ?)
which is not the longest snake, that record goes to the retic python but the anaconda (boa) holds the biggest snake record (girth,length,weight)
the others are of the carpet python then, correct ? its been awhile since I knew most of'em

CH, I'm pretty sure we have a few different types of rock python as well. From memory the snake in the fence is a south eastern rock python, and i'm sure there is a western rock python as well?

According to a posting on the ABC Far North Queensland website this picture is of an Olive python and he's trying to pull a wallaby or a wallaroo from the water below.

The picture is said to have been taken by a hiker named Jody who said the python tried for about an hour to lift the animal from the pool but finally gave up.

snake-roo.jpg

Now to dispel some rather tall stories, photo by photo.
1. Carpet python biting a mans nose. From the net.
2. An african rock python (Python sebae) caught in the electric fence. In Africa, which is the only place you'll find one, and a fair hike from 'outback NSW'.
3. Captive American copperhead (no relation to Australian 'copperheads').
4. Samual L.J. and a pet African rock python or possibly burmese python.
5. Rainbow boa is correct.
6. Moyboy and his "Landcruiser eye-level king brown".... where do I start on this one (or any one his subsequent posts)? King browns are black snakes (genus Pseudechis) and swing in a low arc when they strike. They lack the musculature to do such gymnastics as purported by Moyboy. Given previous and following misidentifications (snake and country in former and future posts) I hazard a guess at him seeing a carpet python or similar (or maybe it was the big electrocuted African rock python-type, in Cobar, of course).
7. PAGE 2: Green Anaconda, I guess in Brazil somewhere. Again, a long way from Australia. They only occur in Sth America, and indeed are the largest, but not longest, snakes, as pointed out elsewhere.
8. Scrub python, also called amethystine python, eating an agile wallaby. Same kind of snake and wallaby as in the previous news item posted. This python is restricted to the wet-tropics bioregion of northern Australia.
9. Olive python in the Kimberly with a rock wallaby of sorts.

And for Moyboy,your posts about snakes are some of the most ill-informed I have encountered, and that is an outstanding feat of ignorance. I will be happy to hand out snake facts should you require them before you make further unsubstantiated claims.

Cheers all, happy chili eating.

Well.

I can only gather from your user name that u came here simply to show the forum of my total and apparently Absolute lack of knowledge.

I thank you for all your kind words my good man, Especially the personal attacks in regards to future posts I am yet to make, they were lovely and caring in nature.

I am to assume as this was your first post here at our PEPPER forum and you have chosen to start off by attacking myself and this thread then you must only have the best intentions at heart.....

I will not start an argument and I will not defend myself except to say that All i have posted in this thread has come from the internet. I don't claim to know anything technical about snakes, but I know what I have seen with my own 2 eyes and I don't appreciate The all out attack on my character thank you very much.

All that being said. I hope to see you in the chilli related threads so we can enjoy what this forum is all about, Chillis, Beer, Fun and PIE!!!!!

Cheers

Tallstorykiller said:
Now to dispel some rather tall stories, photo by photo.
1. Carpet python biting a mans nose. From the net.
2. An african rock python (Python sebae) caught in the electric fence. In Africa, which is the only place you'll find one, and a fair hike from 'outback NSW'.
3. Captive American copperhead (no relation to Australian 'copperheads').
4. Samual L.J. and a pet African rock python or possibly burmese python.
5. Rainbow boa is correct.
6. Moyboy and his "Landcruiser eye-level king brown".... where do I start on this one (or any one his subsequent posts)? King browns are black snakes (genus Pseudechis) and swing in a low arc when they strike. They lack the musculature to do such gymnastics as purported by Moyboy. Given previous and following misidentifications (snake and country in former and future posts) I hazard a guess at him seeing a carpet python or similar (or maybe it was the big electrocuted African rock python-type, in Cobar, of course).
7. PAGE 2: Green Anaconda, I guess in Brazil somewhere. Again, a long way from Australia. They only occur in Sth America, and indeed are the largest, but not longest, snakes, as pointed out elsewhere.
8. Scrub python, also called amethystine python, eating an agile wallaby. Same kind of snake and wallaby as in the previous news item posted. This python is restricted to the wet-tropics bioregion of northern Australia.
9. Olive python in the Kimberly with a rock wallaby of sorts.

And for Moyboy,your posts about snakes are some of the most ill-informed I have encountered, and that is an outstanding feat of ignorance. I will be happy to hand out snake facts should you require them before you make further unsubstantiated claims.

Cheers all, happy chili eating.

I like this person already :oops: :(
like I've said before I'm a little rusty on nameing them except the well known ones.
the one samual is holding is a burmese python IMO (had a little one & 3 retics) the only one thats close to them are indian pythons (in looks) but the arrow on their head is fading away towards the nose unlike burmese pythons.

so are you saying scrub pythons & carpet pythons are the same just called different by different people ?

chilehunter said:
so are you saying scrub pythons & carpet pythons are the same just called different by different people ?
The carpet python (Morelia spilota spp. is a different species to the scrub python Morelia amethystina, although belonging to the same genus. The scrub python is also referred to as the amethystine python. The name 'carpet python' covers 7 recognised subspecies found throughout mainland Australia. The subspecies in the first picture of this thread is Morelia spilota variegata.

moyboy said:
I thank you for all your kind words my good man, Especially the personal attacks in regards to future posts I am yet to make, they were lovely and caring in nature.

I am to assume as this was your first post here at our PEPPER forum and you have chosen to start off by attacking myself and this thread then you must only have the best intentions at heart.....
Moyboy,

The internet is a maze of information and misinformation and it is up to all of use who use it to ensure that facts reported are accurate.

My reference to "future" posts referred to those which appear following the posts I was correcting at the time, and had already been written. I apologise for the lack of clarity in my former/ previous post. Your disregard for factual information derived from an understanding of the subject matter at hand, being snakes, is, I will reiterate, blatant. I understand it is uncomfortable to be pulled up on these matters, however I am prepared to do so, and I would expect you to return the favour should I begin identifying eucalyptus trees as chili bushes, for example, on a public forum, particularly one which I moderate. Claiming an anaconda (a type of boa restrcited to South America) to be a brown snake (a type of elapid restricted to Australia), and claiming that an African rock python was found in outback NSW, is akin to claiming that a koala is an oranguatan, or that zebras live in Sydney, based on the observation that they are all species of mammal. You made several other fallacious statements which I will not elaborate on here, unless you desire clarity.

Tallstorykiller said:
Moyboy,

The internet is a maze of information and misinformation and it is up to all of use who use it to ensure that facts reported are accurate.

My reference to "future" posts referred to those which appear following the posts I was correcting at the time, and had already been written. I apologise for the lack of clarity in my former/ previous post. Your disregard for factual information derived from an understanding of the subject matter at hand, being snakes, is, I will reiterate, blatant. I understand it is uncomfortable to be pulled up on these matters, however I am prepared to do so, and I would expect you to return the favour should I begin identifying eucalyptus trees as chili bushes, for example, on a public forum, particularly one which I moderate. Claiming an anaconda (a type of boa restrcited to South America) to be a brown snake (a type of elapid restricted to Australia), and claiming that an African rock python was found in outback NSW, is akin to claiming that a koala is an oranguatan, or that zebras live in Sydney, based on the observation that they are all species of mammal. You made several other fallacious statements which I will not elaborate on here, unless you desire clarity.

Thanks mate, I see the light and you have brightened my day....:)

Now, I feel like chillis...:lol:

Cheers Moyboy and Chiliheads,
There are problems with edumacatering peoples about snakes and their conservation values as it is, it's cool to say "I don't know" when referring to snakes, because even for people who choose to learn a great deal about snakes, there are major gaps in our knowledge about them, in particular their ecology and taxonomy. The less misinformation is spoken by people, the more we can overcome exitement or prejudice as a response to discussions concerning one of our most beautiful, elegant and fascinating groups of animals: the snakes.

Peace, love, Chilis.... but not too much peace together with chilis, or they would be bland :lol:

Tall Story killed.

P.s. Alphanerd your sauces are goddam fantasy food man! You produce the goods. Thanks!

Tallstorykiller said:
Cheers Moyboy and Chiliheads,
There are problems with edumacatering peoples about snakes and their conservation values as it is, it's cool to say "I don't know" when referring to snakes, because even for people who choose to learn a great deal about snakes, there are major gaps in our knowledge about them, in particular their ecology and taxonomy. The less misinformation is spoken by people, the more we can overcome exitement or prejudice as a response to discussions concerning one of our most beautiful, elegant and fascinating groups of animals: the snakes.

Peace, love, Chilis.... but not too much peace together with chilis, or they would be bland :lol:

Tall Story killed.

P.s. Alphanerd your sauces are goddam fantasy food man! You produce the goods. Thanks!

Exellent information indeed Nice one i must say :)

Back