I suppose I ought to say hello.

chilliman64 said:
they lick their own butts and eat each others sh*t - and you're surprised their farts smell. I'm surprised that you're surprised! :)

knowing what they get up to I'm even more shocked when I see people letting their dogs lick them on the face and in the mouth :) I suppose being an animal lover means different things to different people...

The dog saliva is actually incredibly antibacterial - it enables them to digest rank, maggot ridden, left in the sun for days meat & clean, disinfect gaping wounds amazingly well...but only if you're a dog. Other end of the scale is the Komodo dragon whos saliva can poison a water buffalo within a few days from just a scratch. I want one of them for a guard lizard :)

I remember seeing Steve Irwin saved by his camera crew from a Komodo few years back...what a fool. A clown in the wild.

I asked my vet about dog saliva's healing properties. she said that for cleaning sores that were very dirty or 'fresh' it was good but it held no magical ability to hasten the healing process. maybe Pam can help with this topic. oh Pammm...

chilliman64 said:
I asked my vet about dog saliva's healing properties. she said that for cleaning sores that were very dirty or 'fresh' it was good but it held no magical ability to hasten the healing process. maybe Pam can help with this topic. oh Pammm...

Well, I'm not a dog saliva expert, but I do remember a lecture from a more-years-ago-than-I-care-to-admit-to physiology class. If you constantly stimulate a nerve, you can overload it, and it will either stop sending signals or it will send a weaker signal. It's why rubbing the spot where you bumped yourself will make it hurt less, and why a dog licks a wound or a sore spot; to decrease the pain. And someone please step in and correct me if I have misremembered or mangled the explanation.

The initial licking may clear away any debris or dirt that can cause infection, but I don't think there are any intrinsic antibiotic properties in dog saliva, or else I suspect we would be able to buy a spray bottle of "Doggie Drool" at the Health Food store for our first aid kits. I think anyone who's every had a dog with a hot spot that they licked constantly will agree that the saliva certainly doesn't speed the healing.

My dog Stoli (R.I.P) used to come up to me when my knees were really sore and lick on them. Only when he seemed to know when I was having a problem. I tried to fake it to see if he'd still do the "lick trick" to no avail. He knew when my knees were sore, and was trying to help. (I have bad knees BTW...)

The only thing better than puppy spit is having 2 puppies.
Mine knows when my wife is suffering with pain in her hands, the pup will lick them trying to ease the pain.

Alaska Hot said:
The only thing better than puppy spit is having 2 puppies.

I couldn't agree more! Meet the Puppies O'Thunder.

MA4.jpg

Mine knows when my wife is suffering with pain in her hands, the pup will lick them trying to ease the pain.

Mine always knows when I have food, and The Beast stares me down with her beady little eyes until I break under the pressure and give her bite.

Back