• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ihadurca's - First pepper grow

Since I promised lazy that I would eventually post this here. If I have spelled any of the names wrong, please let me know.

Pepper Grow 2011
I obtained a Arduino for the purpose of experimentation with grow setups and automation through the use of microcontrollers.

Bill of materials - so far

2/16/2011

Assembled temp probe from my spare parts bin & wrote a simple averaging sketch to test for rapid changes in ambient temperature.

.. Upon finishing and testing sketch discovered I'm completely out of relays. Will order later on today.  Maybe I calculate the temp function for some standard unit (currently only have resistance on a scale of 0-1024)  - should be linearWell I was wrong about that one, temperature readings shift too much with this thermistor to be of any use. Hopefully the digital sensors will work out better.

11:30am - Ordered relays and a few other components to make the job easier

2/17/2011

Constructed the "Ghetto seed incubator" started trying to get the seeds from Lazienfat to germinate

Brownie pan + reptile mat + paper towel + saran wrap = Ghetto fabulous

Running without interruption, the mat gets the incubation area up to 78-82 degrees F. - not sure if it is too much..

2/20/2011

Received parts yesterday. I should now be able to switch trivial AC loads on and off using the microcontroller..

--6:45am - discovered I forgot to order the appropriate transistors to trigger the relay coil.. (a problem if i intend to drive more than one of the relays at any point in time...-additionally a good idea to protect the microcontroller)

--12:16pm - since I'll be needing those transistors anyway started a new shopping list.

Transistor 2N3904 * 20

Photocell CDS001-8001 * 1

EPIC RELAY!! T9AS1D12-5 * 2   (in case I need to switch something upto 6000W)

Digital Thermometer DS18S20 * 2 (Factory calibrated digital glory!) - these can be hooked up in a long series chain as each unit has a unique serial number you can call from a single wire!!!

---------------------

Looking at $23.97 with shipping ( amusingly enough the temp probes are more expensive than the relay monsters....)

2/21/11

Spent the last night looking for a simple web based solution for the controls & readout..  Found/discovered a few problems.

• PHP - doesn't support serial read & resets the Arduino each time it connects - trashing any data I may want.
  • PHP - can support serial write - though then there is still the possibility of multiple users sending commands near the same time (resulting in the com line dropping)
  • ASP.net - can do basic write- but is very very finicky about writing back the results (even more so when trying to send commands successively .

Given I don't want my server to crash, or my precious data to be lost during a reset - The simplest solution is to buffer commands in a mysql database. And have a server side app read them individually, and in the order they were received.  The same follows with the output - the server app adds the records to the database.  For the display,  a simple php page to display the last reading & a chart of each value over time would work well.  Additionally the command insert code would be located in php as well.

8:55 PM

Noticing some crazy germination action on the fataliis, and some on the bonnie thai !

Hoping the 7 pods germ soon!

2/22

5:30AM - Photos!

7 pod brain strain

8y1x2l.jpg

Fatalii

J7UXFl.jpg

bonnie thai

sHfpel.jpg

2/25
Ordered the next batch of components, hopefully they will show up sometime next week.
Some transistors, heavy duty relays (6000 watts!),  and digital temperature sensors.

2/27

Two of the bonnie thais have cast off their helmets. One of the fataliis have as well, I got caught up in the moment and in attempting to loosen the helmets from two others I ended up decapitating them.......

3/1
Some decapitation occurred as a result of my attempt to free some of the Fatalii from their +1 Helms.

3/5
Abandoned web interfacing for the time being, the server seems to scream 'Attack Me' to the internet.

3/11

Upside down plastic tub + small grow light + microcontroller + heating element + fan = win, or at minimum fun.

Awesome cant wait to see what hightech gadget you put together next. Sure these will grow great. One thing though is the proper spelling is "fatalii" I'm sure these are going to grow like crazy for you.

Even an old farmer like me is impressed. Hang in there-looking forward to seeing the end results. Hey can ya make robot ladybugs yet?:)

A bit of an update - the Fataliis suffered a very high mortality rate (between decapitation & a weird mold looking stuff).
One of the two brainstrain plants suffered due to my wife's clumsiness.

The survivors
1 - 7 Pod Brainstrain
1 - Fatalii
5 - Bonnie Thai
2 - Trinidad Scorpion

What I take from this experience:
  1. Future mini greenhouse builds should probably include better lighting as well as more adequate ventilation.
  2. My wife wont be going near any of them.
  3. Rockwool is your friend for germination, not paper towels

Of the surviving plants I chose 5 for hydroponic growth.

Bonnie Thai with the Fatalii in the back
0NBNOl.jpg

YEYSal.jpg

A nice long one for the drink

BrainStrain
4l6DJl.jpg

FSBCPl.jpg

Its happy to see you.

sxut1l.jpg

The 2nd bonnie thai & the Trinidad Scorpion

And a TL
tl1.gif

Thats awesome!! You can really tell how much bigger it got when you start the video and click to the end of the video. Great stuff!

I think I will continue with the time-lapse photos, and try to be mindful not to touch anything on that shelf.

As far as future lighting is concerned.

I got a MH lamp from a guy at work.

Which I modified to use as a remote ballast. - not difficult

Now that the lamp assembly is separated from the ballast, I expect the ballast to remain cooler. Sometime down the road I hope to get an air cooled reflector for it.

Oh thats awesome!! I wish I was savy enough to do that to mine. Oh well maybe next year I will just buy a new 600w grow light. Found one here for only $180 and they will prob be cheaper next year.

Thats cool, but from what I've read I think the next step should probably be a hood. When secure and properly vented it should stop the light from BBQin the plants from direct bulb heat. I bought one of these air cooled hoods on ebay this Sunday. I'm hoping that it was a good deal at $50.

** Instructions removed for fear somebody will hurt themselves.

Back