• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ikeepfish's 2014 grow log...season's end is nigh

I tried keeping a winter grow log of my indoor growing, but I was distracted too much by a girl I had been dating and let my endeavors go to the wayside.  More specifically, there was what I call an "aphidpocalypse" in my aquaponics and hydroponics that I wasn't doing a great job of keeping in check.  Only a few Thai plants survived as well as some plants I had overwintered.  Oh well, I have more seeds than I know what to do with, and I'm gunna keep on truckin'

That being said, I'm giving it another go with my seeds and indoor growing, which most will be going into the raised beds and in buckets out on the patio.  My grow list includes

C. chinense

Reaper
Fatalii
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI yellow (3 different phenotypes)
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot white
7 Pot Bubblegum***
7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Merlot
7 Pot Brain Strain yellow
Aji Dulce
Naga Morich
Naga Viper
Bhut Jolokia red
Bhut Jolokia white
Bhut Jolokia peach
Bhut Jolokia chocolate
Bhut Jolokia X Pimenta de Neyde***
Pimenta de Neyde***
Devil's Tongue white
Murupi Amarela***
Scotch Bonnet brown
Red Savina Habanero
Habanero Yucatan white***
Habanero giant white
Habanero orange

C. baccatum

Aji Pineapple***
Blondie
Aji de la Tierra

C. annuum

Thai upright
Alma (overwintered)
Cherry Bomb hybrid (overwintered)
Cowhorn Cayenne***
Nosegay
Poinsettia (Japanese hot claw)
Czechoslovakian black
Sangria***
Tepin
Goatsweed
NuMex Sunrise
Black Pearl
Kashmiri***
Maule's Red Hot
Golden Cayenne (hybrid)***
Dragon Cayenne (hybrid)***
Jamaican Yellow mushroom
NuMex Big Jim and other Anaheims
Jalapeno purple
Hungarian Wax and other sweet and bell peppers.

*** these varieties were not started from seed, I will grow them out and see what happens.

I'm starting my seeds in the peat pellet self-watering greenhouse kits made by Jiffy, which previously I only used for tomatoes.  I don't have aphids now but I'm trying to be cautious and having them under the plastic lids while they're small.  It looks like I'll probably end up with hundreds of seedlings but only time will tell.  They're being started under T5 lighting in a grow tent.  I'm planting my chinenses one to a pod so I don't feel the urge to cull any but my annuums are two to a pellet pod, I'll cull them if necessary.  I have a few dried pods of various annuums that I'm hoping to get hybrid plants out of, namely some prospective Thai X Anaheim seeds.  We'll see.  I have some connections at a local commune that I trade seeds with and I'm looking at getting some unusual heirlooms from them this week, fingers crossed.  I most likely won't be running any peppers in the aquaponics anymore, I'm 100% certain they get WAY more nutes than they need from the fish water and it's done a lot of damage to my adult plants.

Oh, and everyone likes pictures, so here's a few...not so glamorous at the moment, sorry.

PICT1596_zps74029419.jpg

PICT1597_zpsbe75356b.jpg

Some overwinters, the sticks are still green, I'm assuming they're still alive.  I water them barely about once a week.

PICT1598_zps38a4ba26.jpg

PICT1599_zps63714452.jpg

Looking real good bud. I usually get 4-5 black widows in heathsville every year and that 4-5 is way too many. 
We only got .6" from all those storms and the hurricane didn't bring any to the house but 3" in heathsville. But we needed it there badly. 

Runescape said:
How did i miss the update with the black widow spider? Thats insane...

plants lookin good, esp the pineapple...
I have a soft spot for skinny uprights, this pineapple might be one of my new favorites. 

sp33d said:
I love the cinder block raised bed...awesome idea...
lol those cinderblocks have a story that ties into the "family feud" I was talking about earlier in the glog.  The biggest issue I have with them is grass growing like wildfire in the holes in the blocks and having to weedeat...VERY carefully so I don't clip the peppers.  I've got plans to fill them with sand or gravel or something or even top them with flat 2" blocks but haven't gotten around to it

Seacowboy said:
Looking real good bud. I usually get 4-5 black widows in heathsville every year and that 4-5 is way too many. 
We only got .6" from all those storms and the hurricane didn't bring any to the house but 3" in heathsville. But we needed it there badly. 
oh man, I can kill one a day if I wanted to.  We have a (ironically) widow's walk that gives us access to the entire roof around the house...I can go up there and probably kill 20 in one lap around the house....if the wasps don't make me break my neck.  I had monsoon rains from Arthur with no wind, now the temperatures are very cool, probably around 70 right now.

<p>Screw that with all those widows. I was bit on my foot by a brown widow in my garage when I loved down in Florida and if was nasty. Had hundreds of those suckers pop up and declared war with a torch and sort of nasty spray.&nbsp;</p>

Seacowboy said:
<p>Screw that with all those widows. I was bit on my foot by a brown widow in my garage when I loved down in Florida and if was nasty. Had hundreds of those suckers pop up and declared war with a torch and sort of nasty spray.&nbsp;</p>
Id be doing the Same thing. Fu@k poisonous spiders. We have hobos, and brown recluse up here. I have seen a few black widows. And pretty much ran the opposite way! Haha. I just about stepped on a rattler snake last summer out hiking. That will make ya jump out of your own skin.

Dhfreak82 said:
Id be doing the Same thing. Fu@k poisonous spiders. We have hobos, and brown recluse up here. I have seen a few black widows. And pretty much ran the opposite way! Haha. I just about stepped on a rattler snake last summer out hiking. That will make ya jump out of your own skin.
Brown recluse cases here are usually misdiagnoses of something else...however near military bases, ports, and airports they can sometimes crop up --it gets mostly too cold in Virginia for them to live here.  But we have the pleasure of having the largest widow species in the world XD.  And timber rattlesnakes that get over 6 ft, copperheads, and cottonmouths.  Also 6 foot rat snakes (they are pretty cool though)

Dhfreak82 said:
How's everything lookin man? I wanna see your pineapple and your pmd bro. :)
my plants dropped some flowers over the holiday weekend because of some cooler temperatures, kind of upset because my big reaper was affected.  here's some pics though

here's my big Pimenta de Neyde, it has about a dozen pods on it right now, none are bigger than a half inch...you can see my second one behind it, slowly catching up.  It just started noding really good
20140708_173135_zpsmyhwerzg.jpg

20140708_173332_zpsn8dcwapr.jpg

20140708_173402_zpsai1no7ef.jpg

one of the aji pineapples...the other one actually started budding, it's kind of a runt compared to this one though
20140708_173021_zpsl8cwcnmj.jpg

ok...my MYSTERY plant is not an annuum....or maybe it is....it looked like one when it was younger and now it looks chinense....I'm so confused by this one.
20140707_192855_zpsteyrxpw5.jpg

Thai plants about to ripen up
20140708_173057_zpsubtvijik.jpg

Dragon cayenne ripening.  I'm actually very impressed with these plants, I started some F2 seeds.
20140708_173106_zps651zylww.jpg

Sangria full colors.  I harvested it right after this shot, it'll be pushing out more buds soon I'm sure
20140708_173515_zpstiug4kbs.jpg

two Takanotsume plants blooming
20140708_173801_zpskzxrx1nj.jpg

aaaand  7 pot bubblegum (one of ten)
20140708_173855_zps9cdqhtdj.jpg

Nice update bro. Sorry to hear about the blossom drop. I've been dealing with it too, however mine is from high temps. It's been over 90 for a week now and my vegetive growth is explosive. After I moved the plants so that they are in partial shade. I've gotten some ghosts to set.

I'm gonna have a lot of pod updates in the next week or so.

here's some news

flowering Czechoslovakian black
20140724_203450_zpsxdm1evvw.jpg

my Fatalii in the Ocean Forest is apparently a cross, I'm thinking Fatalii X Moruga
20140722_062655_zps7v91stce.jpg

a BBG7 in the fishtank
20140724_223315_zps0b8loa9l.jpg

Speedy Fatalii......any day now!
20140719_173307_zpscjeltzhd.jpg

I also have a ton of aji pineapple and PDN pods that will be ready any day

just catching up on your glog, man everything is looking really good, great job! the peppers in the aquaponics look very healthy too, I really need to whip mine back into shape...having some calcium deficiency issues. But fish seem to be happy.

Those black widow spiders are nothin to mess with, since moving I have found a handful around my house and even a few in my basement. I actually never seen one in real life until this year. They really are a beautiful looking spider, but since venemous I kill every one I see, which is ALOT and there egg sacs. Heres one I caught, I always thought the red was on their back not thier belly. This picture was the first one I saw, looking at it I thought it was a black widow but really didnt see the red hourglass then i snapped a picture with the flash and BOOM there it is.

20140427_171847.jpg

beerbreath81 said:
just catching up on your glog, man everything is looking really good, great job! the peppers in the aquaponics look very healthy too, I really need to whip mine back into shape...having some calcium deficiency issues. But fish seem to be happy.

Those black widow spiders are nothin to mess with, since moving I have found a handful around my house and even a few in my basement. I actually never seen one in real life until this year. They really are a beautiful looking spider, but since venemous I kill every one I see, which is ALOT and there egg sacs. Heres one I caught, I always thought the red was on their back not thier belly. This picture was the first one I saw, looking at it I thought it was a black widow but really didnt see the red hourglass then i snapped a picture with the flash and BOOM there it is.

attachicon.gif
20140427_171847.jpg
yeah the aquaponics are doing much better than my regular hydro, I had a mishap and forgot to use hygrozyme or  peroxide and got slime and it got in the stems before I noticed.  I'll have to take a peek at your glog and catch up too

it helps to be able to identify male black widows too just in case you don't know what they look like

here's some more pics from today

friendly fellow this guy, a wheel bug on wild cherry
20140726_122136_zpsqtotfwh7.jpg

aaaaaand

Ripe pod on the speedy fatalii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20140726_183653_zpsa1cncr2b.jpg

ikeepfish said:
yeah the aquaponics are doing much better than my regular hydro, I had a mishap and forgot to use hygrozyme or  peroxide and got slime and it got in the stems before I noticed.  I'll have to take a peek at your glog and catch up too

it helps to be able to identify male black widows too just in case you don't know what they look like

here's some more pics from today

friendly fellow this guy, a wheel bug on wild cherry
20140726_122136_zpsqtotfwh7.jpg

aaaaaand

Ripe pod on the speedy fatalii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20140726_183653_zpsa1cncr2b.jpg
Cant see the pics?

Ok, oops, I forgot to give some updates, so here you go!  The Scottish weather finally cleared and I'm getting a lot of activity finally!  Pod pr0n anyone?

red bhut blooming
20140822_172127_zpsb7kssqb1.jpg

second wave of pods on big PDN plant
20140822_172141_zpsurobkrzx.jpg

Murupi Amarela
20140822_172155_zpslaloifzm.jpg

Aji Pineapple
20140822_172205_zpsycpi8rii.jpg

Unknown fatalii cross
20140822_172221_zpsraygyef5.jpg

Reaper.  Still dropping buds, no pods XD  if you look close you can see a ladybug
20140822_172252_zpsu4l1iphk.jpg

Yucatan white habanero
20140822_172316_zpsdq7wjla0.jpg

slow ass Moruga finally budding
20140822_172406_zpsmnm9qumb.jpg

second wave Thai blooms
20140822_172435_zpsqyp5sobr.jpg

Corno di Toro
20140822_172454_zpsetk0vc6z.jpg

aaand that's 10 I need a bump

thanks man!

Takanotsume!
20140822_172518_zpss8kcowtw.jpg

NuMex Big Jim
20140822_172537_zpsocsbpanq.jpg

Big ass BBG7 plant in the raised bed
20140822_172557_zpshsjow3ye.jpg

Giant jalas.  I mean huge.
20140822_172623_zpsotvsce80.jpg

I finally let my black krim start fruiting
20140822_172706_zpspjlztcex.jpg

Elisir is finally budding too! (Bhut X PDN)  Very slow plant.  Definitely an overwinter candidate
20140822_172747_zpskqklvngc.jpg

20140822_172859_zpskllmr734.jpg

Speedy Fatalii with the little guys, it's finally pushing out new growth and buds for the 2nd wave.  Gonna be freakin loaded
20140822_172930_zpsjdgfzeer.jpg

aaand one of my other projects, this is a Datura stramonium that's blooming and fruiting.  The bugs f'n love these things.  On on the left is up to my chest, one on the right is a runt but it's pushing out a lot of nodes right now.
20140822_173029_zps98rnyw2v.jpg

20140822_173114_zpsscrjq5vj.jpg

Love the Pimenta da Neyde, such great color on that.

Datura stramonium in pots?  Hmm... not sure about that though... I see it as a weed all over the place here.  They are cool looking plants :twisted: , just put them in the ground next year though.

Back