• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ikeepfish's 2014 grow log...season's end is nigh

I tried keeping a winter grow log of my indoor growing, but I was distracted too much by a girl I had been dating and let my endeavors go to the wayside.  More specifically, there was what I call an "aphidpocalypse" in my aquaponics and hydroponics that I wasn't doing a great job of keeping in check.  Only a few Thai plants survived as well as some plants I had overwintered.  Oh well, I have more seeds than I know what to do with, and I'm gunna keep on truckin'

That being said, I'm giving it another go with my seeds and indoor growing, which most will be going into the raised beds and in buckets out on the patio.  My grow list includes

C. chinense

Reaper
Fatalii
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI yellow (3 different phenotypes)
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot white
7 Pot Bubblegum***
7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Merlot
7 Pot Brain Strain yellow
Aji Dulce
Naga Morich
Naga Viper
Bhut Jolokia red
Bhut Jolokia white
Bhut Jolokia peach
Bhut Jolokia chocolate
Bhut Jolokia X Pimenta de Neyde***
Pimenta de Neyde***
Devil's Tongue white
Murupi Amarela***
Scotch Bonnet brown
Red Savina Habanero
Habanero Yucatan white***
Habanero giant white
Habanero orange

C. baccatum

Aji Pineapple***
Blondie
Aji de la Tierra

C. annuum

Thai upright
Alma (overwintered)
Cherry Bomb hybrid (overwintered)
Cowhorn Cayenne***
Nosegay
Poinsettia (Japanese hot claw)
Czechoslovakian black
Sangria***
Tepin
Goatsweed
NuMex Sunrise
Black Pearl
Kashmiri***
Maule's Red Hot
Golden Cayenne (hybrid)***
Dragon Cayenne (hybrid)***
Jamaican Yellow mushroom
NuMex Big Jim and other Anaheims
Jalapeno purple
Hungarian Wax and other sweet and bell peppers.

*** these varieties were not started from seed, I will grow them out and see what happens.

I'm starting my seeds in the peat pellet self-watering greenhouse kits made by Jiffy, which previously I only used for tomatoes.  I don't have aphids now but I'm trying to be cautious and having them under the plastic lids while they're small.  It looks like I'll probably end up with hundreds of seedlings but only time will tell.  They're being started under T5 lighting in a grow tent.  I'm planting my chinenses one to a pod so I don't feel the urge to cull any but my annuums are two to a pellet pod, I'll cull them if necessary.  I have a few dried pods of various annuums that I'm hoping to get hybrid plants out of, namely some prospective Thai X Anaheim seeds.  We'll see.  I have some connections at a local commune that I trade seeds with and I'm looking at getting some unusual heirlooms from them this week, fingers crossed.  I most likely won't be running any peppers in the aquaponics anymore, I'm 100% certain they get WAY more nutes than they need from the fish water and it's done a lot of damage to my adult plants.

Oh, and everyone likes pictures, so here's a few...not so glamorous at the moment, sorry.

PICT1596_zps74029419.jpg

PICT1597_zpsbe75356b.jpg

Some overwinters, the sticks are still green, I'm assuming they're still alive.  I water them barely about once a week.

PICT1598_zps38a4ba26.jpg

PICT1599_zps63714452.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Love the Pimenta da Neyde, such great color on that.

Datura stramonium in pots?  Hmm... not sure about that though... I see it as a weed all over the place here.  They are cool looking plants :twisted: , just put them in the ground next year though.
I have another 8 plants in the ground, their parent plant is over near the battlefield and has a 2 inch trunk on it.  I have a lot of other poisonous nightshades if that's something you're interested in growing, both temperate and tropical.  The temperate ones are tricky because I don't want them to naturalize in VA's climate, like the Eastern Belladonna.  I don't need to be responsible for an outbreak of that plant here XD

ikeepfish said:
I have another 8 plants in the ground, their parent plant is over near the battlefield and has a 2 inch trunk on it.  I have a lot of other poisonous nightshades if that's something you're interested in growing, both temperate and tropical.  The temperate ones are tricky because I don't want them to naturalize in VA's climate, like the Eastern Belladonna.  I don't need to be responsible for an outbreak of that plant here XD

Haha, thanks but I don't want to grow those.  Datura stramonium is native, so no need to worry about naturalization.

You've probably heard the story about how it acquired the nickname Jimson (old pronunciations of Jamestown) Weed.

Spicegeist said:
Haha, thanks but I don't want to grow those.  Datura stramonium is native, so no need to worry about naturalization.

You've probably heard the story about how it acquired the nickname Jimson (old pronunciations of Jamestown) Weed.
Yeah I've definitely read the story, lol imagine those lobsters being tripping out of their minds and running around naked for eleven days hehe.  Old Mother Datura at the battlefield was on my way back from the antique mall today so I decided to get a picture of her, she's probably over 4' tall with a 5' canopy.  Also got a picture of my one and only Datura inoxia also called moonflower or toloache, which is much slower to grow than stramonium is but still cold hardy enough for this region...it's about as close to an outdoor brugmansia I think I'm going to be able to get.  I'm actually curious if they can make an interspecific hybrid lol.

Mother D. Stramonium
20140823_145559_zpsl2xcv775.jpg

D. inoxia
20140823_124504_zpsuecm6mpa.jpg

Spicegeist said:

7a you might be able to keep a brugmansia going, I've seen them in people's yards in Norfolk...
I'm not so sure, normally I've only ever seen them in visits to the deep south, like zone 9+ but I'll keep an eye out...I'm going down to VA Beach for a wedding on Saturday.

I'll have a lot more pod pictures sometime soon to upload.  For now, here's a picture of a massive D. inoxia bloom :D

20140828_235039_zps3buh54rg.jpg

Hey guys, I'm still alive, the nightshades haven't gotten me ;)

some pics

Chocolate scorpion, Moruga, and peach bhut
20140909_162008_zpsdc8l6kms.jpg

Jalapeno and Czechoslovakian black
20140918_165147_zpsdrghm0cn.jpg

Reaper
20140921_103248_zpsdwepkaky.jpg

Fatalii
20140921_103317_zps3l4ao4lb.jpg

Aji pineapple
20140921_103356_zpsq25qrsrp.jpg

Bhut Jolokia (red)
20140921_103428_zpslbajomhx.jpg

supposed to be BBG7s but they have small calyx and look like brain strains to me.  I don't know if the stems bleed yet
20140921_103538_zpsk4hqndzv.jpg

Mystery plant is a Naga Morich
20140921_103643_zps99ooyunw.jpg

Aji Dulce
20140921_103712_zpsjzsnnnkz.jpg

Goatsweed
20140921_103905_zpsxuqgrx75.jpg

Spicegeist said:

These are looking really good!  Have you had any ripe pods yet?
I have two--one red bhut plant looks like it got sick from something and I might have to cull it, the one in the picture there is fine though and I believe it to be a polyploid.  It just started ripening this week :rolleyes:   It's getting overwintered though.

I had a little *ahem* debacle with the greenhouse collapsing on Monday and have had some issues in the last couple of days, BUT I do have a ton of pods ready to ripen and/or currently ripening....if only I can keep up with when it's going to frost.

Bhut-y licious? :party:

I'm normally not a big fan of the flavor of ghosts, normally using them for powders...this plant is much sweeter than normal and has top-notch heat.  I originally almost culled it and I believe it to possibly be a polyploid.  I was calling it my "special" bhut for a while there.  I'm glad I didn't get rid of it because it really did put out some nice pods.  If it is polyploid, I have no way of knowing if it's sterile or not without growing seeds...I'm not entirely sure how that works but I'm gonna try anyways.  You can see in the recent pic of it the strange growth patterns near the base of the stem, almost like it wanted to be really bushy but didn't have the "umph" to push out any branches.  I'm overwintering it this year :)

You can see it in its infancy here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46137-whats-wrong-with-this-bhut/

Spicegeist said:
Great looking bhut, how'd it taste?

ikeepfish said:
Bhut-y licious? :party:

I'm normally not a big fan of the flavor of ghosts, normally using them for powders...this plant is much sweeter than normal and has top-notch heat.  I originally almost culled it and I believe it to possibly be a polyploid.  I was calling it my "special" bhut for a while there.  I'm glad I didn't get rid of it because it really did put out some nice pods.  If it is polyploid, I have no way of knowing if it's sterile or not without growing seeds...I'm not entirely sure how that works but I'm gonna try anyways.  You can see in the recent pic of it the strange growth patterns near the base of the stem, almost like it wanted to be really bushy but didn't have the "umph" to push out any branches.  I'm overwintering it this year :)

You can see it in its infancy here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46137-whats-wrong-with-this-bhut/

Not sure if I already asked you... but where did you get the seeds for this one?

Spicegeist said:

Not sure if I already asked you... but where did you get the seeds for this one?
That's actually kind of complicated, I had seeds from growing them last year and had those originals plus ones from my plants (that only put off a couple of pods XD), I received them from a local friend...they were my first "superhot" grow and I was almost discouraged because I had a hard time with them, BUT I also had some seeds I got as freebies from Judy...I ended up getting the seed stocks mixed up so I have no idea which plant ended up being from where, but I did plant some from all three stocks...only ended up with 2 red bhut plants in the long run after I kept losing seedlings to drying out when it was uber cold back in Feb-March.  As a "spoiler" I guess I can say that I intend to try to grow 100 bhut plants next season in the back field... of all different types and colors. :)  This plant, if the seeds germinate, will be mamma to a lot of them.

ikeepfish said:
That's actually kind of complicated, I had seeds from growing them last year and had those originals plus ones from my plants (that only put off a couple of pods XD), I received them from a local friend...they were my first "superhot" grow and I was almost discouraged because I had a hard time with them, BUT I also had some seeds I got as freebies from Judy...I ended up getting the seed stocks mixed up so I have no idea which plant ended up being from where, but I did plant some from all three stocks...only ended up with 2 red bhut plants in the long run after I kept losing seedlings to drying out when it was uber cold back in Feb-March.  As a "spoiler" I guess I can say that I intend to try to grow 100 bhut plants next season in the back field... of all different types and colors. :)  This plant, if the seeds germinate, will be mamma to a lot of them.

Well, good luck keeping them straight going forward.  That's something I'm also working on... one variety at a time...
For example, I'm probably going to grow some seed I have labelled "probably primo" from a few years ago, lol.

LOL where the hell you been, Frankie?  I don't know if that's what it is, it's really just "Not BBG7"  The plant died but I do have a handful of seeds from it.  That thing is freakin' HOT too.

Well since this GLOG is just about done with, I'll post up some final shots of some of my overwinters

20141030_164312_zpsmthveyr5.jpg

20141116_100247_zpsskfvpvq3.jpg

Back