• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I'm old emough to remember when...

I remember-

corded telephones
party telephone lines
gas at .25/gal
when family doctors made house calls
when dentists used silver for fillings

using the encyclopedias we had at our house for research for school work (I don't remember the encyclopedia salesman, but there probably was one. ;) )
The Kerby vacuum cleaner door-to-door salesman (yes, Mom bought one)

party phone lines

Yep, my folks and one other house had the last party line in the county. They refused to get a private line because private lines cost more. In the end, the phone company forced them to get a private line.....THANK GOODNESS! That was just about the time I was getting into high school~~~ ;)

Ditto machines!
Those hand-crank things the school used (before Xerox machines) that made the pages with blue ink and it had that distinctive smell. Not unpleasant, just distinctive-

"Radio Mystery Theater"

JP Patches

I'm onld enough to remember when cigarettes were less than a buck for the 25 pack, when HBO started with Blazin' Sadles, Star Wars came out at the movies, when MTV played Video Killed the Radio Star, when Jerry Garcia was still playing in the band, beer was sold for a dollar long neck, and orange habaneros were the hottest pepper in the universe. Never forget your first anything. :D

Season ticket holder to first Tampa Bay Buccs season, 76 I think?
8 years old!
Lost every game !

And I had a blast!!

My parents and neighbors, and aunts and uncles would put on live pantomimes at the house, and we watched them on 8mm film with no sound for many years after. My favorite was my dad doing Blood On The Saddle by Tex Ritter.

party phone lines

Yep, my folks and one other house had the last party line in the county. They refused to get a private line because private lines cost more. In the end, the phone company forced them to get a private line.....THANK GOODNESS! That was just about the time I was getting into high school~~~ ;)
Oh you ran the party line? I guess $2.99 a minute is good cash when you're on that end.

1-900-salsalady :D

When you offered to help a lady with her groceries and she was very thankfull rather than scared you were trying to steal her goodies. :lol:
When you held a door open for a lady or gave up your seat on a train/bus and she thanked you!

(or is it just me and I am creepy or something? :lol:)

8tracks tapes, disco, the gas crunch and all the diesel VW Rabbits, when Elvis died and Reagan was shot, feather hair styles and the mullet and the socks you wore up to your knees, Daisy and the Dukes of Hazzard County, the Farrah Faucett poster, drive-in movies and roller skating rinks, life without the dang internet. :crazy:

Hand-coding your program onto 11x17 sheets of columnar paper, which in turn were punched onto cards which were then fed into the massive computer. Dropping your program and watching the cards fly was a true thing of horror....

But THEN! The first IBM PC's with no hard drives. Insert at least two 5-1/4" floppies if you want to do anything useful with it.

And little white go-go boots.

But THEN! The first IBM PC's with no hard drives. Insert at least two 5-1/4" floppies if you want to do anything useful with it.
5 1/4 Floppy's? I remember them things! Used to have an XT when I was little fella with all the maddest games, like, uh, Snake. :D

Remember CGA graphics? Or even worse.... them old green and black monochrome monitors! :eek:

before 5 1/4" floppies were the 8 inch floppies used on the commadore superpets, one of the first PC's. a station of 5 units, all tied together to 1 floppy drive and should you decide to save to the drive you had to call out...."on the bus", this stopped anyone else from saving to their floppy. if 2 people tried to save to the shared drive at the same time the entire work centre would crash and the entire system had to be rebooted. Everyone lost everything they were working on. i also had a tape drive.

at one time green screen was all we had to work with and you really had to be creative to design menu systems and cheesey graphic solutions with asterisks.

i remember when i was 5 years old and had the red measels and the doctor made a house call.

my kids get a kick out of the stories i tell them. black and white tv, bunny-ears, 3 tv channels, if the wind was blowing in the right direction, no dvd or vcr, rich people had 8mm video cameras, average joe had to bring their film into a development place to develop their black and white photos. or how about the first polaroid insta print cameras that you had to wipe the guck on as soon as the picture was ejected out - that was pretty real-time. we had a vw beetle, but we also had a bombardier alouette snow mobile that could haul logs out of the forest - years later i got a yamaha 440 that could cruise at 80mph.

the kids think it's cool seeing pictures of me in black and white and the elephant ear collars on my shirts.

but you know, we always had something to do, unlike kids today that constantly complain they are bored. had a group of kids come around, doing a door to door campaign asking me to donate to a worthy cause to keep youths off the street....... they got an earfull and left without money. when my kids get bored, you can see it in their eyes it is attention they are looking for, so i pull out a deck of cards, lay them out face down and we play match-the-card(or whatever the game is called). except for about a month ago, i found 2 ball point pens and pulled the inners out and taught them about spitballs...they went crazy.

When the moon was the size of a silver dollar...

Ditto machines!
Those hand-crank things the school used (before Xerox machines) that made the pages with blue ink and it had that distinctive smell. Not unpleasant, just distinctive-

"Radio Mystery Theater"

JP Patches
and restaurants had 25 cents LP playing record players.!!

Back