• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Importing Chilli seeds into Australia

Well there you go a bit of an education lesson :P
 It would be interesting to see reations when i say can you please send through in a heat sealed foil packets Hahaha.

Micca

Good information regarding the screening. I know you can buy special gear for mailing photography which won't show anything on the xray systems.

Micca302 said:
Got my last package through from Trade Winds  :woohoo:

Ok now i have to tell myself NO MORE!!!!!!! I have enough seeds to supply a third world country for life!

Micca

Enough seeds yes, but NEVER ENOUGH VARIETIES!! MORE I SAY! I just ordered a variety from over your way! I'm hoping my order from Semillas comes, if it does, then they have found them selves a new customer.

Semillas is a top seller and grower. You shouldn't have any problems he tends to mark up the packets correctly.
Just a reminder to you and Teejay(he ordered from there too) that it can take up to 6 weeks to come through so be patient.

Talking about NEVER ENOUGH VARIETIES I think I read somewhere that there is over 10,000 varieties which blew me away seeing I thought it was around 3,000 and also over 30 species (5 of them are domesticated)  :surprised:
I've got a long way to go.....................

Micca 

After placing a number of seed orders with overseas vendors, I just had my first seed order intercepted by Australian customs. 

There was a note attached informing me that all of the Chinense and Annuum seeds were removed from the shipment and destroyed. The Baccatum seeds were allowed through.

Not sure if I was just unlucky, or they have started cracking down?  The intercepted order was from Fatalii.net

On a related note - does anyone know where I can get Jigsaw seeds in Australia  :P

Hi Steve,

That's a real bummer Mate. Cheers for letting us know.
I did have an order come through from Fatalii, but I did ask him to put the botanical and common name on each seed packet.
Did the one that came through have the common and botanical(eg-C.Baccatum) name on it?
Aqis(Australian Quarantine) usually put the reason for confiscation, was there anything on the letter?

Micca

Micca302 said:
Hi Steve,

That's a real bummer Mate. Cheers for letting us know.
I did have an order come through from Fatalii, but I did ask him to put the botanical and common name on each seed packet.
Did the one that came through have the common and botanical(eg-C.Baccatum) name on it?
Aqis(Australian Quarantine) usually put the reason for confiscation, was there anything on the letter?

Micca

Yes - All of the seeds had the common and botanical names clearly marked on the packets.

The letter stated that Chinense and Annuum seeds posed a risk to Australia (although no specific risk was stated) and were not allowed in.

Thats a real bummer Mate. Looks like they might be cracking down on it or the Person has decided to enforce the rule.
Sorry I didn't get back earlier, been without the net for a few days.

It's interesting too that the Baccatum was allowed.

Micca

SteveBrisbane said:
Yes - All of the seeds had the common and botanical names clearly marked on the packets.

The letter stated that Chinense and Annuum seeds posed a risk to Australia (although no specific risk was stated) and were not allowed in.
Capsicum annuum and Capsicum chinense (plus any combination thereof) are mentioned in a document on Capsicum spp requiring testing.

Micca302 said:
Thats a real bummer Mate. Looks like they might be cracking down on it or the Person has decided to enforce the rule.
Sorry I didn't get back earlier, been without the net for a few days.

It's interesting too that the Baccatum was allowed.

Micca
Capsicum baccatum is still on a list of Capsicum spp (not requiring testing) that includes:
  • Capsicum baccatum
  • Capsicum galapagoense
  • Capsicum praetermissum
  • Capsicum pubescens
  • Capsicum tovarii

Hey Harry cheers for the link.
I haven't had a look lately. Is this a new import law? Just on the document it has todays date?

Micca

The date they insert into the document is the date that it was accessed and not the date of the initial publication.

JungleRain mentioned it back in early 2013:

JungleRain said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but......
Info for Aussie Chilli Growers;
as of approx 2 months ago the import of Capsicum seeds has been amended;
Seed consignments either:

be accompanied by an official government Phytosanitary Certificate, which is endorsed with the following additional declarations, and identifies the seed lots and country where the seed was produced; supporting test reports must also accompany the declarations and include the name and address of the testing laboratory, the pathogens targeted, the seed lot tested, the number of seeds or plants tested, the type of test done, including, when appropriate, the oligonucleotide primers used; test samples are to be drawn in accordance with ISTA procedures

OR

be tested on-arrival if not accompanied by a satisfactory official government Phytosanitary Certificate.

NOTE : Re-export or destruction is also an option at the importer’s expense

this could now cost approx $600 for the importation of seeds :(

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=9005868&intCommodityId=23727&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0
There's a PDF that falls within the time period JungleRain mentioned on a German site:
http://pflanzengesundheit.jki.bund.de/dokumente/upload/d10cd_au3-2012-seeds-capsicum.pdf

Cheers for the explanation of the dates.
What I meant with my comment was that originally I thought the law was applied to ALL Capsicum Spp, not just a selected few like the latest article says.
I'm pretty sure Junglerain also mentioned it was for all Capsicum Spp, but now certain ones are permitted through without testing???

Micca

Micca302 said:
Cheers for the explanation of the dates.
What I meant with my comment was that originally I thought the law was applied to ALL Capsicum Spp, not just a selected few like the latest article says.
I'm pretty sure Junglerain also mentioned it was for all Capsicum Spp, but now certain ones are permitted through without testing???

Micca
I don't recall the additional requirement applying to all Capsicum spp. There's a portion of Condition C19752 quoted in JungleRain's post back on 18 January 2013. It matches the condition that essentially applied to annuum, frutescens and chinense species of Capsicum.

The list of species not subject to C19752 is the same as it was back in December 2012 before they split the regulation into two documents.

You are right on there Harry, being a Chinense fan I must have just skipped over the other ones or just forgotten :rolleyes:
I have a whole shelf full of seeds so probably would be better to grow out the ones I have got. Just can't help looking for rare and interesting Chinenses.

Micca

Back