• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Importing Chilli seeds into Australia

Hi to all,

I stumbled across this post and it just so happens that I spoke with the department of agriculture just a couple of days ago asking some questions.

The motive was, of course, to see if it's possible to get seeds that are not typically offered in country, e.g. 7 Pot Lava (unstable from my readings, but hey, anyone who knows for sure, please correct me with up to date info :drooling: )

I reached a chap who was most helpful, and in a nutshell, he directed me to:

http://apps.daff.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

I typed in "chilli" from the USA and it was for end use of "seed for sowing" the import case details will then come up for you.

At the end of the day, I was told about the viral testing, and the fact that an import permit is also required. Of course, it all adds up.

But, the chap I spoke to did happen to mention though the rules *may* be a bit different for non-commercial (domestic) purposes, e.g. a few dozen seeds or thereabouts I think. He said to search the link above, and I didn't find anything relevant, but he said he was pretty sure that in practice domestic importers are in a slightly different position. What that means, I don't know.

Sorry for any repeat of information, but I figured this might be of interest given it's quite recent.

Regards,

Tim

Tim,  I have seeds confiscated several times and went through extensively to deal to the relevant public servants (directly) about it. 
Final  Verdict:  no one can satisfy them conditions or references or  'subject to conditions" . ...
Their lists just goes on and no Public Servant has the courage to take a non-safe decision.  Easiest decision is to destroy.  They destroyed each of my 3 confiscation!!
It is impossible to obey custom rules without in the end probably paying heaps to get a photosanitary cert.  It applies to even 1 seed let alone domestic hobbyist like us!

Thanks for the posting Teejay.
It is like Justecila said no seed at all can come in without a cert.
But what i have noticed and you have pointed out in your posting is that it all depends on who you get to inspect your package(if it gets inspected).
The pr on the who thing was non existant and i don't think that it has filtered down to all the inspectors either.
I have had packets opened and passed, packets opened and destroyed and some that all i needed to do was supply their common and botanical names and they released them.
That was under the old rules though, just don't know now.

Hi Justecila, have you had any confistated under the new rules?

Micca

I had about 10 or so packs of seeds come from Europe that were opened inspected and passed.  There were no botanical names on the package and no certificates.  It was earlier in the year but after the new rules had been announced.  

Like Micca says it can all come down to who inspects the package or if it gets inspected at all.  I suspect it might come down something like if the inspector wants to go to lunch or stay and do some paperwork whether he just has a look and says "looks ok" or fills out the forms telling you your package has been held or destroyed etc.   so its luck.  

I don't think they have the resources to check every package that might contain seeds and then do the official procedure.  What teejay posted the guy said sounds very much like they want to leave it open ended so that if something does get through with no certificates they have an excuse. 

Micca & Moo, I am surprised you get to keep any seeds opened for inspection bf as I thought it WA is the strictest states beside Tasmania.  You always find people selling seeds on local website indicating they will not post seeds to WA & Tassie!

Hi Justecila

It's always been up to who inspects on the day.
Up until about 5 years ago they were really bad and had lots taken. It was stupid things like the common and botanical name wasn't on each seed packet(was on the envelope).
You also had to have a declaration(not a photosanitary cert) filled out. I had some opened and passed and some just destroyed.
Then they released that C. Chinense was a permitted species and did not need to have a declaration as long as it was marked up correctly.
It was only these new laws they brought in recently that has stopped everything with the sanitary cert. Also with this new inter-state inspection fee.

Just a little background..................

Micca

Hi Alice,

A Photo sanitary Cert is needed if bringing into Australia(way too expensive to do for hobbyist).
The interstate inspection fee is only for stuff coming into WA from the East. Would probably be worthwhile just checking because you never know they might decide to change them too!

By the way I managed to get some good germination from your seeds. Looking forward to growing these Brazilians.

Micca

Well here is an interesting one for you.
After debating it for a while I decided i couldn't help myself and ordered some seeds from overseas.
The 1st 2 packages came through unopened so all good.
The 3rd package got intercepted by customs. They opened the envelope up, inspected the goods and sent them on their merry way!
Merry Xmas from Customs I suppose!
I was very happy to see them get inspected and passed through.
There was a little pamphlet  inside with this written on it.

OPENED FOR INSPECTION
The sceening process, which uses detector dogs and x-ray machines, indicated that there may have been items of biosecurity concern in your mail.
No items of biosecurity concern were identified during the inspection of your goods and no items have been removed.
Thank you for your continued compliance.

What a nice little note, specially the last bit. makes me feel like i AM doing things right!
As I have said before depends on who you get on the day but also to make sure you have all seed packets marked correctly too.

Micca

Hey Micca,

Congratulations, well done and good for you :dance:

Now I do hope that has buttered you up enough to PM me with the name of your OS supplier since it sounds like their packaging is "compliant" and might be worth a try ;)

Regards,

Tim

Ive had one of 3 come in so far! Keen to see how the rest come along. I'm surprised yours came in. We can't even send seeds from NSW to WA!

Thanks everyone.
I was pretty stoked to get them through :P

Hey Sarge the interstate thing is different again. WA quarantine are wanting 50 backs to inspect anything that comes from the east.
Just revenue raising at it's best.

Hey Tim I ordered from 3 different companies. The main thing is to make sure the seed packets are marked up with the botanical and common names. You have to tell them that.
Also let me stress that I really only grow the Chinense variety and i'm not too sure how the other varieties would go(check DAFFS website for permitted species)

Micca

Hey Sarge let me know if the other 2 packages come through. Will be interested to know.
I have got one more from Tradewind fruits yet to arrive too.

Micca

Just got 2 out of 3! The next one was posted at a later date so I assume next week! The two packages I got were posted on the same day but came 3 days apart.

Sarge said:
Just got 2 out of 3! The next one was posted at a later date so I assume next week! The two packages I got were posted on the same day but came 3 days apart.

Nice going Sarge. Great to see they are making it through.

Micca

Foil heat sealed Envelopes, now that's an interesting one Trippa.
I did ask my works radiographers about foil today but they informed me the Xrays will still go through.
It wouldn't be like me to do sneaky things like that though Hahahaha. 

micca

Micca302 said:
Foil heat sealed Envelopes, now that's an interesting one Trippa.
I did ask my works radiographers about foil today but they informed me the Xrays will still go through.
It wouldn't be like me to do sneaky things like that though Hahahaha. 

micca
Yeah Micca the x-ray will go through but....they don't x-ray normal postage/card envelopes on incoming mail.... they only x-ray actual packages ... they run a Dog over the envelopes and also pull out anything by hand that is suspicious in terms of looks/address... the reason the foil heat sealed packet inside the envelope works is to do with making it harder for the dogs to pick up ... 

Back