• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

In need of some growing tips, please.

I notice from many of the pix posted here that most growers' plants are bushier and shorter than mine. What's the secret? Pruning? If so, what's the best method? If not, what else works?

I've got gro-lights on mine in the dorm room....as I did last year. I turn on the lights when I get up in the morning, and turn them off well before bedtime, so I don't think I'm giving them too much light....

I'd like to boost my yield per plant this year.

Any tips will be appreciated.

in my opinion usually, and I say usually, when seedlings grow leggy, it is because they aren't getting enough light and they are reaching for it...

try getting your lights as close to the seedlings as you can...it won't hurt them if they are within 1/2" of the plants...either that or crank up the light...

Staffing, are you talking about older plants?

If so, what are you using for potting soil and what are you using for fertilizer?

will putting the light closer to the plants burn the leaves ?

i was also thinking about this and wondering if i should put my light closer to the plants... the seedlings look pretty good but a little leggy think...and a couple of leaves are already yellow...

Hotpeppa said:

depends on which light you are using and how much heat it generates...I keep my 42 Watt CFLs about 6-8 inches from the tops but I can keep my T-12 40 Watt standard fluoros within 1/2" of the plants and not damage them...

AlabamaJack said:
depends on which light you are using and how much heat it generates...I keep my 42 Watt CFLs about 6-8 inches from the tops but I can keep my T-12 40 Watt standard fluoros within 1/2" of the plants and not damage them...

im using a 400w HPS.. its about 1 1/2 ft away from the top.. covering about 50 seedlings... i was thinking of adding another 400w HPS right next to it if it wasnt enough... sht ! i wish i had a bloody camera that works so i can post some pics...grrrr

I haven't used the HPS or Metal Halides so I can't speak to that...they do put off a pretty good bit of heat don't they?...

Pam said:
Staffing, are you talking about older plants?

If so, what are you using for potting soil and what are you using for fertilizer?

I'm talking about seedlings. I'd like to have bushier plants this year. I've heard that selective pruning can work.

As for lights, I'm using 65W gro-lights. As AJ pointed out, I may have them too far from the plants (They're a little over a foot above them).

I'm looking for any/all tips for making plants bushier. I've started my plants with Jiffy pellets, and when a little bigger, will transplant them into 20 oz cups in Miracle Gro potting soil. Later, into 12 inch pots.

Well, you'll certainly have lots of green growth with the Miracle Grow, but lower fruit production.

AlabamaJack said:
I haven't used the HPS or Metal Halides so I can't speak to that...they do put off a pretty good bit of heat don't they?...

That they do! But this time of year when the weather is freezing cold you can use that heat to your advantage. My room stays a cozy 75F all the time. No need for heat mats or the like to keep your plants warm. I don't intend to grow with this light when it is nice and warm outside. A fan for air exchange is a must with any HID light fixture.

AlabamaJack said:

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
That they do! But this time of year when the weather is freezing cold you can use that heat to your advantage. My room stays a cozy 75F all the time. No need for heat mats or the like to keep your plants warm. I don't intend to grow with this light when it is nice and warm outside. A fan for air exchange is a must with any HID light fixture.

Plenty of heat... i dont even use a fan for it to be honest... i just keep the door open to circulate the air a little...

just wondering if one 400w HPS would be enough for so many seedlings... i tried to add some photos to my new thread but yet again i am doing something with uploading...

it says to add the URL.. so i do... and i get a x for a image..lol

staffing said:
I'm talking about seedlings. I'd like to have bushier plants this year. I've heard that selective pruning can work.

As for lights, I'm using 65W gro-lights. As AJ pointed out, I may have them too far from the plants (They're a little over a foot above them).

I'm looking for any/all tips for making plants bushier. I've started my plants with Jiffy pellets, and when a little bigger, will transplant them into 20 oz cups in Miracle Gro potting soil. Later, into 12 inch pots.

How big are your "seedlings"? What I call a seedling is too small to be pruning. Like AJ said, if they are leggy looking you need more light

Oh and what are you growing? Some types naturally grow leggier. Here is an example, on the left is B R-Bow and on the right is Aji Amarillo. Both grown side by side and seeds planted within a week of each other

347k3no.jpg

Hotpeppa said:

i was also thinking about this and wondering if i should put my light closer to the plants... the seedlings look pretty good but a little leggy think...and a couple of leaves are already yellow...

If you're just using an HPS for the seedlings, they will probably get a bit leggy. HPS has much more red than blue light, which will result in larger internodal spacing. Try adding a blue fluorescent or two to supplement the blue spectrum. And 400W = enough for 3'x3' ideally or 4'x4' with plants that require a bit less light.

At 3'x3' you get 44.4 watts/ft^2 at 4'x'4 you only get 25watts/ft^2

BrianS said:
Oh and what are you growing? Some types naturally grow leggier. Here is an example, on the left is B R-Bow and on the right is Aji Amarillo. Both grown side by side and seeds planted within a week of each other

347k3no.jpg

what a difference !...

IIRC, I had the same thing happen last year. I don't remember if it was the same variety but one plant looked just like that while all the others were short and a lot less leggy. I even topped it and it still had such a huge internodal growth.

Mike

Txclosetgrower said:
If you're just using an HPS for the seedlings, they will probably get a bit leggy. HPS has much more red than blue light, which will result in larger internodal spacing. Try adding a blue fluorescent or two to supplement the blue spectrum. And 400W = enough for 3'x3' ideally or 4'x4' with plants that require a bit less light.

At 3'x3' you get 44.4 watts/ft^2 at 4'x'4 you only get 25watts/ft^2

thats chinese to me :lol:

i actually did notice the seedlings looking better under the flo tubes before i transplanted them...

they looked greener and healthier...hmmmm, just thinking of a way to add more blue with the tubes that i have... this will be challenging i think... :shocked:

so more blue = less space between the 'watcha ma call it' internodals ?

Hotpeppa said:
thats chinese to me :lol:

i actually did notice the seedlings looking better under the flo tubes before i transplanted them...

they looked greener and healthier...hmmmm, just thinking of a way to add more blue with the tubes that i have... this will be challenging i think... :shocked:

so more blue = less space between the 'watcha ma call it' internodals ?

A node is the point on the stem where two leaves form. The distance between nodes is the internodal spacing. And yeah more blue = shorter plants.

Txclosetgrower said:
A node is the point on the stem where two leaves form. The distance between nodes is the internodal spacing. And yeah more blue = shorter plants.

cool... ill have to fix this...

what about yellow leaves ?...some say its normal, what do you think ?

i cant remember who told me it was ok and normal...may have been you actually..:lol:

they reaally look yellow, especially the new leaves that are coming..i finally posted some photos if you want to take a look..;)

Back