• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Indian Brinjal pickle

Hi Guy's

This is my favourite Indian pickle :dance: I'd go as far and say its my "death row" pickle 😉 😋

Oh Brinjals are Aubergines or egg plant's as our American cousins call them 😉

I make it in big batches about once a year I normally leave it minimum of two weeks before but it ages like fine wine. Every year I give a jar to a good friend who adores the stuff he keeps in for 12 month's before he opens it as I once gave him a year old jar from my private stash and he said it was Exquisite !

20240217_135705.jpg

My favourite Indian pickle 😋

INGREDIENTS:

2 large Aubergines
1 Cup rapeseed oil
1 Cup white vingar
2 Tbsp chilli powder
1 Tsp Black pepper
1 Tsp cumin powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
2 Tbsp Jaggery or brown sugar
1 1/2 Tsp salt
4 to 6 hot green chillies
8 Garlic Clove finely chopped
1 " Fresh ginger finely chopped
2 Tbsp mustard seeds ground add some vinegar to make paste

slice the aubergines length ways about 2 to 3mm thick sprinkle with rock salt and layer them in a colander and leave for 4 hours they will loose a lot of water.

Dry with a clean tea towel and slice each down the middle and then across to make each slice 6 bits

Fry the Brinjals in the very hot oil for 5 minutes then remove nd put to oneside

Add the garlic ginger and chillies fry for 5 min

Add the mustard paste 2 to 3 mins

Add Turmeric chilli powder cumin powder black pepper salt stir in well 2 to 3mins

Add Jaggery or brown sugar stir to the gritty feel stops

Add the vinegar stir till it starts bubbling again

Add the cooked Aubergines stir in and simmer for 10 minutes

Bottle into clean hot jars once cool tighten the lids

Leave for 2 weeks before eating ive kept in a cupboard for a year or two before opening it stores so well not that it lasts very long 😉

Once opened I keep it in the fridge but I'm not sure it needs to that the beauty of pickles.

Enjoy

Stephen

Thanks for sharing. A friend wanted me to make some, but i didnt know enough about it to choose a recipe off the interwhebz.
About how many jars does 2 large aubergines make?

Hi

I used 4 large Aubergines in this batch and doubled the ingredients :thumbsup:

20240220_145050.jpg

This is the resulting batch the big jars are the big Dowe Egberts coffee jars, as I rule I normally clean a sterilise a few different sizes.

The big fellas are mine 🥰😋 the other smaller jam jars are for my mate I will probably make another double batch soon that should fill two of the big Dowe Egberts jars gor my reserve stash 😎

Oh have you ever had Indian prawn pickle ? I'm sure you can hear angels singing 😇 and it more addictive that crystal meth 🤣

I'll post that one next

Stephen

Back