• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Insanity - The Girls

It's been interesting to me, to see how the different varieties respond to the weather. We've had a fair bit of rain here - too much for some of the plants, which are starting to seriously yellow. I'm going to move these into the garage for the next couple of days, as we are supposed to have - yep, you guessed it - more rain. Other varieties are sucking up water like they haven't had anything to drink in weeks - if I don't give these water nearly every other day, I come home to find them drooping VERY badly. The 7-pot types and my aji habanero are all in this category. Other varieties are more flexible - they have been able to deal with whatever amount of water comes their way.

The plants I put in the bed in the front yard have been interesting to watch, too. These 6 plants were all hit pretty hard by broad mites while they were pretty small, but they didn't die off. They stopped growing for quite a while, but then very slowly started rebounding - VERY slowly. So I thought "what the heck", and stuck them in the dirt up front. If they grew, great, but no harm, no foul if they didn't. Well, a couple of them are now quite large, especially considering how small they were. The other 4 have stayed fairly small, although they have continued to grow a bit. All are budding and flowering, and some have pods. It should still be a couple months before we get frost, so I'm hoping these have a chance to produce some more and ripen before then.

Gratuitous pod piccage:
p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

p9.jpg

p10.jpg

This looks like a Jimmy Nardello, What is it?
Long Thick Cayenne - these are HUGE and prolific this year. I grew one last year and thought they were big, but the plant was not very prolific. This year am giving my plants a dose of CalMag from time to time, and they seem to appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

I kind of have to laugh at myself. Went out this morning and took a good look-see at the plants, and found some ripe Harold's St. Barts. They were down near the bottom, with heavy foliage and much poddage above them, so they were somewhat hidden. But now I look at the pics above, and see they were getting ripe when I took the pics a few days ago. If you look at the plant in the turquoise pot (below the pic of the peach habs), you'll see the bottom of a yellow pod peeking out behind some other pods, right above the rim. LOL

Thanks guys!

I kind of have to laugh at myself. Went out this morning and took a good look-see at the plants, and found some ripe Harold's St. Barts. They were down near the bottom, with heavy foliage and much poddage above them, so they were somewhat hidden. But now I look at the pics above, and see they were getting ripe when I took the pics a few days ago. If you look at the plant in the turquoise pot (below the pic of the peach habs), you'll see the bottom of a yellow pod peeking out behind some other pods, right above the rim. LOL

Nice plants/pods!

I find it odd with my plants too that the first pods to ripen are those hidden away under a large leaf or just generally covered from direct sunlight....I would've thought it to be the opposite.

Nothing better than looking at hot girls!
I'm jealous, those are beautiful plants, and the variety!... sheesh!
I'd say it's time to get the Jap's in a bowl, they look ready!

Nice garden.

Yes, I am planning on picking a bunch later today, and start the dehydrator running for some of them. Others, of course, have other destinations, including straight to my mouth! Hoping to get a nice batch of trin perfs ripe at the same time, so I can candy them (yum.)

Can we get a video of you "grazing"? lol!
After you dehydrate them, then what? Do you make powder? or just leave them whole to reconstitute later?

Can we get a video of you "grazing"? lol!
After you dehydrate them, then what? Do you make powder? or just leave them whole to reconstitute later?
I will leave them uncrushed so I have options for later. ie - if I decide I want some powder in November, I'll crush some then. If I want to reconstitute some (in, say, tequila or bourbon :D), then they're still whole for that purpose.

Back