seed-train International Seed Train

Cool. Been there once. Loved Tlaquepaque and Guad. One of my favorite murals of all time is in the government building there on the square.

the gorvenment building in the guad square or the tlaquepaque square?? yeah its a nice place, i prefer tlaquepaque downtown.. go with my girl very often, and the post office in wich i send the seeds is in tlaquepaque two blocks from the church :)

if you need from here something just tell me :D

I`m in big time.Can make seeds vet there! Rich

demon,

Thank you! And the mural like is on the Guad square in the stairwell of the governor's mansion, I think?

Rich,

You're in. One more in the U.S./Canadian East and we'll seal it up!

So how will the rule/organize applied? should have stikies the great idea, so everybody can see and comment about it. Just can't wait for the train to get going, it would be awesome.

Im in for the Canadians while it rolls through North America. But i also cant think of any legitimate customs ideas..

although i did accidentally receive a package in the mail once... it had written on its description "photos", and inside the envelope was wrapped in what looked like carbon paper paper several times (preventing x-rays maybe??) .... the package ended up being drugs and i reported it to the police... but any ideas if that would be a good plan or not?

Hey folks, long day at work, but I'll be formulating some guidelines the next day or two and I'll post up and let y'all look for holes in the plan! Goal is to launch from my place no later than the 18th of May.

Cory, I may need a little help, man. Not sure yet, but if I need it, I'm calling you first!

Okay, y'all.

Have the "golden rules" crafted, as well as strong suggestions for seed packing, how the train will move, and a redundancy plan for cross-border travel. Will post up tonight or tomorrow morning.

If you know anyone in Africa, Asia, South/Central America or Australia that wants in, let 'em know! U.S. and Europe are filling up nicely.

Also, keep in mind that if you are the last leg of a particular region/country, you may have some slightly higher shipping costs to move the package along. Obviously, that'll vary by region, but just make sure you're okay with that before we get moving.

-Eric

Hey Eric,
You're doing great buddy! I suggest that the train will move in envalope, big one. not in a BOX.
all the BOXs pass x-ray on the country customs and may hijacked by them.

envalopes just get into the destanations without any problem.
aslo, sending mail inside envalope will reduce international shipping rates.

- Liav

I'm from Montreal, Qc. If I can help anyone, count me in! Will be waiting for instructions.

Some dude sent me some seeds from Arkansas and there was no problem. Envelope seems just fine!

Hey Eric,
You're doing great buddy! I suggest that the train will move in envalope, big one. not in a BOX.
all the BOXs pass x-ray on the country customs and may hijacked by them.

envalopes just get into the destanations without any problem.
aslo, sending mail inside envalope will reduce international shipping rates.

- Liav

Liav,

I saw you had mentioned that earlier, and its great advice! I had no idea, but I'm including that in the "rules". Still trying to figure out if its worth splitting into two envelopes at border crossings and staggering the send dates by a day or two?

Okay folks,

OP is updated with both these rules of engagement and the new riders. Please have a look at this and see if I'm missing anything or if there are major logistical issues I am overlooking. Thanks for your patience!

--------------------------------------------------------

THP International Seed Train Guidelines

Mission

The goal of this seed train is to travel around the globe and provide the train's participants with pepper seeds (as many local varieties from participants as possible), information, and entertainment in both the progress of the train, and the conversation about its whereabouts and contents.

Your Obligation As A Rider

There are two “golden rules” that will NOT change on this train:

1. If at ANY TIME, you feel you cannot fulfill your obligation to the train, you MUST let us know. You will have an opportunity to re-board the train later, but please do not derail the train by over committing yourself. Please be honest (even if the train has already left, it can be diverted), and all will be well. Please don't ruin this for everyone else.

2. If you are boarding this train ONLY to receive the most free seed possible, then PLEASE exit now. THP is FULL of folks that will send you free seed. I'll PERSONALLY send you free seed, if you want it. But to dead-end the train, horde seed, or disappear with the package(s) altogether isn't useful to anyone. The success of the train depends on ALL its riders!

Okay, now that those are out of the way, if you're still with us, keep reading. Here's how it works.

Riders

The seed train is currently accepting a limited number of riders for it's maiden journey. We are trying to include a healthy representation from each continent. If you don't make the cut the first round, we will take a waitlist, and you may be able to hop on board the second time around.

Our total number of riders will be limited to between 30-35, worldwide. This number is to keep things fairly manageable. Should things run smoothly the first voyage, we may add to our rider cap as the train chugs along.

Once you receive the package, please try very hard to have the package back on its way within 48 postal hours. If you won't be able to turn the package around in that time, please let us all know on the forum. We'd rather know the package is slightly delayed than wonder where it is.

Obviously, we'll have to have your postal address in order to keep the train going. However, we also want to respect your privacy. All addresses will be included via private message to members of the seed train, but will not be shared publicly on the forum.

However, we do want you to share your general city location as we'd like to map the route visually online and share it here, if we can find a program that will accommodate us.

Seed Additions/Removals

Please never remove more seed from the train than you give. In fact, for the first round, please try and add at least 50% more seed than what you take. We want to build the offerings on the train and not deplete them.

For the first half-dozen or so participants on the train, please add as generously as you can. Remember that when it comes back to you, you should have quite a selection to choose from.

Route(s)

We will do what we can to route the train so that it's journey prioritizes timelines for countries that are nearer to their grow season. However, due to a necessarily flexible schedule, you may not always receive seed in time to begin your grow as you wish.

Do not depend on seed making it to you in time.

Please note that riders last in line in one location, that send the package on to another country/region, may have additional postage costs associated with the package. Please agree that you'll be willing and able to afford these costs. The train will try and alternate the “last stop” riders during each trip in order to better spread the financial load.

The goal here is to do at least two round trips of the train. At that point in time, we will decide whether it will be worth it to pursue additional trips.

Wishlist

As each rider adds/removes seed from the train, they should document it in the thread. If riders at future stops would like to reserve a particular type of seed, they should state so in the forum thread. Please be courteous to requests from future stops and do not exhaust the seed supply unless you too have requested that type of seed.

Packaging/Labeling

There are two important things to remember when you are packing (or re-packing) seeds for the train.

The first is that you'll want to pack your seeds so that they are protected from the elements, and specifically water. Sealed plastic bags are a MUST, and preferably the type that are the appropriate size for the amount of seeds you'll be enclosing. Please use the smallest bags you can find that will still fit the seeds and label comfortably. We want to be efficient as the train grows!

The second important thing is to label the seeds accurately. Please include at least the following (if available) when you label:

Common Name(s)
Source (Commercial business name or individual)
Year of Harvest/Purchase
If self-saved, please indicate if the seed was isolated or not (it'll be okay to include some non-isolated seed, but please label it as such so that passengers may “take the risk” knowingly).

If you don't have some of this information, that's okay, but please include as much as possible.

And finally, please include whatever label you use INSIDE the packaging with the seed. Many times outside labeling can become wet, worn, torn, or lost. If the label is inside the seed bag, it is as safe as the seed!

Please use padded envelopes whenever possible. Boxes are more likely to be searched at some border stops, and envelopes are more likely to make their way through unmolested.

Potential Derailments

Since this is an international endeavo(u)r, there is the possibility of derailment at various border crossing/customs points. Please know that if you sign on, there is a possibility for disappointment. We think that the train can make it! That's why we're trying it out. But please help the whole group to be as safe and responsible as you can in packing/handling and shipping of the seeds.

And finally, if you KNOW you will be violating any laws in your home country, please let us know and do not sign on for the train experience. We certainly do not want to land anyone in hot water through an exercise that is meant to be fun and educational.

Thanks for reading and welcome aboard!!

Also, we are locked down on the North American Eastern participants. Probably just one away from sealing up Europe as well.

I'd say we need about another 8-10 riders to make this a really fun deal. Please pass it on!

i live on the countryside - the post takes a long time to get to the closest office. i can most likelly not resend the package on the same day because of travelling distance to post office. also i only get mail delivered 1-3 times a week. i hope its not going to cause any trouble.

Back