• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is anyone growing a banana plant?

Show some shots, Mike! :lol:

Here's my indoor Musa Super Dwarf Cavendish pup today...

DSCI2837.jpg

: )

Will you get actuall banans from these? Can they survive your winter?

(Castor beans round 2 doing great, the first ones died.)

No, SDC must be brought inside for winter protection but it will produce bananas within a few years, in a pot even. The one in the garden will be brought inside come Autumn.

(Mine died too but I'm growing one in the garden this season)

My Basjoo will survive to -20 with mulching, -3 without. It produces bananas but they not edible. The apple banana tree's fruit is said to be delicious, though it will probably be next year before it has any bananas.

Pics later.

Mike

Does anybody have experience with successfully removing and rooting banana pups? I've done some research but just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience?

So I finally ordered some banana plants from a place in Queensland, they'll be delivered next week as I'm in Singapore currently.

The two varieties I got were:

- Dwarf Ducasse
- Blue Java

The Blue Java looks to be a pretty interesting variety, it's supposedly referred to as the "Ice Cream Banana".

Here's my indoor Super Dwarf Cavendish...

DSCI3553.jpg

This shot shows one of my Musa Basjoo plants in the left-hand corner and my mystery banana plant from Texas a little further down the row with my Salmon pink dwarf Canna flowers...

DSCI3454.jpg

Super Dwarf Cavendish in Lily garden...

DSCI3302.jpg

I year old Musa Basjoo...

DSCI3301.jpg

Close-up shot of Texas mystery banana plant that a lof of folks seem to believe is an orinoco...

DSCI3309.jpg

Close=up of second Basjoo...

DSCI3306.jpg

I got my DC and it is now in a 5 gallon pot of water (DWC) under a 125-watt LED panel. Growing rather quickly - added a new leaf on the third day. The thing does drink like a sailor - consumes two quarts of water per day!

Mike

Does anybody have experience with successfully removing and rooting banana pups? I've done some research but just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience?

I have removed pups sucessfully from basjoo and dwarf cavendish.

Loving this thread and the great pictures.

here is one of my stands of basjoo. in the front is a needle palm whihc survived the coldest winter in 30 years last year here in the mtns of NC.

IMG_1563.jpg

And here are my two babies that I potted in 67 litre pots:

IMG_0467.JPG

Left is the Blue Java, right is the Dwarf Cavendish. Be interesting to see how they go when the weather starts to warm up.

My Dwarf Cavendish has really slowed down growth in the last 2-3 weeks. Our temps took a sudden turn to the lower end of the thermometer and my upstairs gets only ambient heat. Still, it stays 65-80 there. But while before it was adding a leaf per week, it's now taking about 2.5 weeks. One thing I read, though, is that bananas go through growth spurts.

My orange tree seems to be getting a bit greener and may have added a leaf.

I can't hardly wait until spring when I can get a couple of apple and cherry trees!

Mike

Time for an update. For some reason I indicated earlier that I had a Blue Java and Dwarf Cavendish, where in fact the latter is actually a Dwarf Ducasse.

IMG_0961.JPG

Back