• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is anyone growing a banana plant?

Hollyberry,

I will probably take a picture every week for a while, especially if they grow as fast as some say they do. I know my Apple Banana is growing fast, considering the room doesn't get much above the mid-70s in the daytime and it is not getting but maybe three hours of filtered sun a day (but they are under LED lights).

Mike

I've been wanting to do banana plants. I think after I get better at gardening I will plant some banana pups in strategic (sp?) places around the garden.

The Hollyberry Lady said:
Congratulations Mike!!! Yipppeeeeeeee!

Be sure to show us a pic of your little seedling later...

: )

Two weeks later, it looks like this:

banana1231.jpg

Alas, it is the only one to come up so far. :(

Happy New Year,

Mike

I transplanted it last week and thought I had killed it. The one good leaf wilted at first, then turned yellow and then brown. And it is the only seed to germinate. Checked it two days ago and saw what looked like very thin though green hair growing in the middle. Could it be??? Checked again yesterday and it is a thick green hair! This morning, it's looking like a very thin toothpick. It looks like it will survive - at least I hope so!

Mike

DownRiver said:
You folks probably know all this stuff already, but I stumbled across this article this morning and thought of this thread.

Geez, now I'm thinking "bananas might be fun"!:shocked:

http://www.weekendgardener.net/fruit/grow-bananas-indoors-011001.htm

Josh,

I recommend buying a plant, rather than starting from seed. Unless, you want to try them next year, then I would order seeds now!

If you decide to go with a plant(s), try http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html. I know the guy who sells the plants and bought three from him. They are all doing good. Plus, he seems to have the lowest prices of any site I could find.

Mike

Beautiful - it will look great in a yard this summer!

A couple of months ago, I had visions of more than 20 different varieties of bananas, 2-3 of each, in the seedling stage, starting to grow. Now, I have a vision of two seeds germinating before the Spring Solstice and maybe four by the Fall one. But I will find a way to get these things sprouting, even if I have to get some monkeys and have them poop on them!

Mike

MM,

There are a couple of growers from Australia in a banana forum. You sure you cannot grow them, especially if you start from seed?

Mike

I think you need a permit :(
"Anyone can grow backyard bananas, but banana-growing in Australia is highly regulated and a permit is needed to plant or transplant a banana. There's a good reason for this. Banana plants are susceptible to serious diseases and plants can only be bought from government approved, certified disease free sources. "
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2189533.htm

I did a little bit of further reading, I think there are a few states that need permits, but the one I live in might not need it.

We aren't really in the tropics though, we are more closer to a mediterranean climate with dry summers. How would banana trees hold up in that kind of climate?

They like water, at least from what I read. The three I am growing (Apple, Cavendish and Basjoo) do not seem to require lots of light, though they are still small - less than 2'.

I'll be happy to send you some Darjeeling seeds if you want - though you may curse me. If my success is any measure, you may have seedlings to transplant by September or so - if you are lucky!

MIke

Water is not a problem for me. providing we get rain every now and then to top my tanks up.

I might take you up on that offer for seeds, but first let me contact my local council and find out if there are any restrictions in growing them to begin with.

MM,

You have my PM and FWIW, I bought a couple of plants that after putting them in containers were about 6-7" tall. They sit by a window (that in the last month got very little light) but also under two 14 watt Red/Blue LED panels. They love it.

Personally, I would try to grow them and if the plant police show up, tell them they are a mutant Ninja Bhut Jolokia/Goat Weed pepper plant cross that are suppose to produce 6" yellow peppers and invite them over to sample the fruit!

Mike

Hahaha, I'm hoping someone tries to taste one of my Bhut's from the plants near my footpath ... they won't try it again after that ;)

How tall do the plants grow on the ones you have? I'd probably want something that wont grow any higher than 3 or 4 metres.

MM,

I still have small plants that are only a couple of months old. Google will probably give you better details, but the guy I bought the plants from said 6-8 feet (2-3 meters) in 5 gallon containers a bit larger in 7-gallon pots. Supposedly 15-18 feet under ideal conditions growing in a yard after a couple of years without any cool temps.

Mike

Hope everyone's banana plants are doing well for them.

Here's a couple Super Dwarf Cavendish pups I got a couple weeks ago...

DSCI2774.jpg

One of the pups was transplanted into my Lily Garden just a few days ago...

DSCI2811.jpg

I'll show more shots as things progress. The other pup will remain in my south facing window indoors. It'll be interesting to see the differences between them.

I also put my big Basjoo out into the garden as well, but will show shots later. It's thriving. They will both get 12 hours of full sun a day. Should be a size by Fall!

As well I have a mystery banana plant from Texas, that I'm putting out today or tomorrow. So excited to grow some banana plants in the garden for the first time. I'll keep you guys posted...

: )

I still have my four, but they are growing slowly. The tallest two are maybe 2' high, to the middle, another eight inches if I measure distance from the dirt to the top leaf.

Mike

Back