• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is there any reason i cant....

I made a smoothie from the hydrated wakame (2 cups worth) with enough bottled water to make about a quart. I added a couple tsp of molasses and put it in the fridge till tomorrow.

Tomorrow i will mix it with some rain water and a couple tsp of the Jobes "myco" compost starter in a gallon jug and let it "cook" for atleast a week. My plan is to mix that with fish emulsion and enough water to bring it upto about 3 gallons.

I looked up this alaska fish and it is very expensive for what you get

It does however supply nitrogen in a form that suits the microbes that hang around pepper plants

Powelly said:
I looked up this alaska fish and it is very expensive for what you get

It does however supply nitrogen in a form that suits the microbes that hang around pepper plants
$20 for a gallon jug that lasts a whole season or more, is considered expensive?
It's not leaves from the Outback, but it's about the cheapest turnkey product that is easily available. Most all big box hardware chains here carry it.

You guys are killing me. I get 12 gallons of potting soil that doesn't need to be fertilized for 6 months for less than $15 here, and to me that already seems like I've offset any cost benefit to growing at home.

grahamsprodigy said:
You guys are killing me. I get 12 gallons of potting soil that doesn't need to be fertilized for 6 months for less than $15 here, and to me that already seems like I've offset any cost benefit to growing at home.
So learn how to grow cheaper. That's part of the experience.
12 gallons of potting mix gets you what, 2 plants? I built and mixed enough mix for 20 5 gallon buckets, that will last for 3 growing seasons, for around $50.
A gallon of fish emulsion that costs $20 lasts me for almost a whole season, and I'm growing around 30 varieties.
If you can find the varieties of peppers that you are growing in the store, and/or your love of the hobby doesn't significantly negate the cost associated, then yes, all of your points are valid. Otherwise, keep reading and learning.

The vast majority of peppers im growing cant be found at any store local to me. I either grow them or pay $12 or more for a small flat rate box if/when they become available.

Ive got over 20 planted and a couple more to go.

My biggest issue is that I can't use this house's dirt to grow in. It's a rental. I did reuse a lot of what I had from the year before though, by taking the old potting mix and composting table scraps into it. My worst cost so far has been obtaining additional pots. Buckets would have worked fine though too.

grahamsprodigy said:
My biggest issue is that I can't use this house's dirt to grow in. It's a rental. I did reuse a lot of what I had from the year before though, by taking the old potting mix and composting table scraps into it. My worst cost so far has been obtaining additional pots. Buckets would have worked fine though too.
I feel your pain, man... but priorities... ;)

There are quite a lot of days that I wonder to myself why I'm putting this much effort into growing peppers that I know will be under $1/lb in September. If I froze them I could probably not use more than 100 lbs a year. I'm out triple that cost so far already. I guess maybe if I do this again next summer it'll be cheaper but damn.

grahamsprodigy said:
There are quite a lot of days that I wonder to myself why I'm putting this much effort into growing peppers that I know will be under $1/lb in September. If I froze them I could probably not use more than 100 lbs a year. I'm out triple that cost so far already. I guess maybe if I do this again next summer it'll be cheaper but damn.
I'm not sure what you're growing or buying, but that's a pretty bleak outlook. Everything in my garden is special to me. It's relaxing, it's therapy, and my plants are the only kids I have that don't talk back. I love my garden, and I'm sorry that you see yours as an expense. But hopefully, if you stick with it long enough, you'll find something special, that you just can't find anywhere else.
I know that you are allergic to pseudo-science, per your signature - but leading pseudo-scientists everywhere agree, that it just tastes better when you grow it yourself. Of course, they offer no explanation for that pseudo-factoid, but they did post it on the internet, so...

There is something to be said about the experience. Maybe.

My main focus is New Mexico Big Jims and various sweet peppers. I'm expecting to harvest from around 40 plants this summer.

grahamsprodigy said:
There is something to be said about the experience. Maybe.

My main focus is New Mexico Big Jims and various sweet peppers. I'm expecting to harvest from around 40 plants this summer.
Big Jims are a damn fine pepper. Learn to grow that one well, and you've really got something. I had one last year that was absolutely stunning, but then got devastated by spider mites. They did their damage before I even noticed.

solid7 said:
 my plants are the only kids I have that don't talk back. 

RatxE.jpg

They're still pretty tiny, but the bells I started a couple months back seem to be getting exactly what they need, so I'm pretty optimistic. These are from nice fresh heritage seeds straight from NMSU.

grahamsprodigy said:

They taste better, when they are grown organically anyway ;)

Back