• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

It's Powder Time

b3rnd said:
D3 I'm looking to get into smoking my peppers to add that extra dimension of flavor to the powder. Do you care to show us your set-up? Do you use a DIY smoker or a professional smoker? 

It's nothing special just a cheap propane smoker.  

I will need to replace it soon though. The bottom is starting to fall apart on me and burner will probably give way soon. Unfortunatly Grills and such only seem to last 3-4 years here max before the elements claim them. 
5a9a024a-06a3-4f2f-a9ad-d8662e3dbe27_1000.jpg

Just got off a 16 hour shift, keep nodding off trying to post. Stopped at grocery store today and picked up some Coffee, i'm not a coffee connoisseur so I don't really know what to look for when selecting a coffee to drink let alone for a rub. Since they was all sealed I couldn't really get a good whiff of them.  

I knew I wanted whole beans so I could fresh grind them myself so that narrowed my options down considerably. I ended up choosing this one solely on the name because it sounded like it went well with the type of rub I was going to attempt.

Mk7VmZJ.jpg

I still don't have an exact recipe i'm going to use, will try a few really small batches and see how they taste. 

I know the basic ingredients of my Gaucho Rub will be 

Fresh Ground Coffee
Fresh Ground Cocoa Nibs
Fresh Ground Pepper corns
Ground Mustard
Garlic
Kosher Salt
Brown sugar

Experimental Ingredients
Smoked Ancho   debating on wood, maybe oak or jack daniels barrel.. *shrugs, looks around room for ideas 
Smoked Guajillo
Smoked Hot rod serrano x maui purple
Cumin
Clove
onion powder
Rosemary fresh dried
Thyme fresh dried  (also got a lemon thyme) 

Also Plan on making a couple bottle of my Asian Zing sauce since it was a big hit with the family.

Do you avoid garlic I forget? Granulated garlic (not powdered) would be nice in a rub like that.

The Hot Pepper said:
Do you avoid garlic I forget? Granulated garlic (not powdered) would be nice in a rub like that.

yea was going to use granulated garlic as well. 

Avoiding Coriander which is a staple in most cowboy rubs that you can get commercially. 

Back