• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jackpot!!!

My 2 best finds were fresh true yellow jamaican scotch bonnets about 2 years ago at a mexican produce stand and finding fresh chocolate habs at a Publix supermarket 3 years ago(of all places).

Sickmont said:
My 2 best finds were fresh true yellow jamaican scotch bonnets about 2 years ago at a mexican produce stand and finding fresh chocolate habs at a Publix supermarket 3 years ago(of all places).

I've actually found some good stuff at Wal Mart believe it or not. Well tonight is my sauce making night. I am going to use the fruits of my jackpot find and make a Fatalli sauce, a red hab and thai sauce with garlic, a peach hab sauce with plums (stealing this idea from AJ). Then some tomato salsa with serrannos, jalapenos, poblanos and habs, and a mango habanero salsa. Sending the family to go visit Grandma for a few hours.

JayT said:
I don't want to join the parcel since I really don't have much to share. Would feel bad taking and only having 4-5 of the most common varieties you can get to share. Next year after I grow some more exotics I will join and share. Thanks for the offer Josh. I have received a couple of pms offering me seeds, thanks guys.
Yea that makes sense. Glad to hear you are getting some seeds. I was happy someone was generous enough to throw me a few. Tough part is waiting until next season to grow them.

The best place always to find differnt or unusual chili types is at differnt ethnic shops or markets as people love to take there food with them where ever they travel or go to live..its a little bit of a reminder of home i suppose:rolleyes:

We have lots of stores like that around here, but all the hot stuff they sell is bottled, canned, or powdered. No fresh peppers in any of them.

the best find I found at a farmers market was 12 lbs of orange/red habs with some caribbean reds for $25, great price around here!

other than that the chiles for sale around here dont change much.
green jalapeno, green serrano, green/red/yellow/orange bells, green anaheim, green poblano/ancho, small thai's, fresno, orange habs.

That's why this thread got started, I found 7lbs of fataliis and 3lbs of peach and orange habs for $9!!!!

JayT said:
I don't want to join the parcel since I really don't have much to share. Would feel bad taking and only having 4-5 of the most common varieties you can get to share. Next year after I grow some more exotics I will join and share. Thanks for the offer Josh. I have received a couple of pms offering me seeds, thanks guys.

WOW!! That is the spirit of the parcel post.

Take lots the first year and deposit nothing.

The next year you share!

Seriously.

talas said:
The best place always to find differnt or unusual chili types is at differnt ethnic shops or markets as people love to take there food with them where ever they travel or go to live..its a little bit of a reminder of home i suppose:rolleyes:

Too true! The local indian market has 3 or 4 interesting types.

chilehunter said:
the best find I found at a farmers market was 12 lbs of orange/red habs with some caribbean reds for $25, great price around here!

other than that the chiles for sale around here dont change much.
green jalapeno, green serrano, green/red/yellow/orange bells, green anaheim, green poblano/ancho, small thai's, fresno, orange habs.

12 lbs?????

That is good.

It is also why I decided not to try and sell hot peppers at the farmer's market.

You can't get anything for them!

cheezy - yea 12 pounds, that was the only hmong lady selling them for that price there, while everyone else was selling little baskets (a tad smaller than a DVD box & only about 2" deep) 3 trays for $5.

jay - "I found 7lbs of fataliis and 3lbs of peach and orange habs for $9!!!! "
thats a sweet deal!!! I really wish I could find that around here.

JayT said:

Jay, I agree with Cheezy, that's why the parcel works so well...put in what you can and the next time around you can give more...come on don't be bashful...plenty of pepper seeds around and we're happy to share.

It happened again. Seems this vendor has grown some 25,000 pepper plants (yeah even more than AJ!) and has few outlets for them so they are cheap. There are not many "notable" peppers to choose from, but I happen to like yellow Fataliis, and orange, red and peach habaneros. I asked it they gave a bulk discount, and they said no it is either by the pint or by the box. I said well how much for the box? The guy said well I don't have a whole box left. So I said well how much for that. In the end I got 10 lbs of yellow fataliis for $10. Now to the dehydrator and some powder I will make! AJ how much powder do you think that will make me?

JayT said:
That is a big part of the reason I want some, so I can get some seeds and grow my own next year.

Cross the river in the spring and I'll have plants ready to rock...don't get much easier than that!:hell:

They are the BHUT's from NMSU....will they work?:mouthonfire::hell::mouthonfire:

How are you going to grow them over the winter? Do you have a heated grow room? I have seeds for Fataliis too. I don't plan to start mine until about mid January though. Yeah Bhut's will work! We'll have to get together sometime before spring though, I have a bunch of sauces and salsas you might want to try. Maybe we'll have to meet somewhere in York for some wings and beers and peppers.

I have a room that I have overwintered pepper plants for the past several years. This year I added lights and a heater.

One of these weekends you can bring your sauces, and I'll slam dunk some country style ribs on the grill, and we'll try out your hot sauces, and you can take home some fatali plants, and bhut plants home with ya.....

and by the time May gets here....they will be big enough to give you two harvests during our growing season....how's that sound?:hell::hell::hell:

Sounds awesome man! Pm me when you know when you want to do it. Sometime in October works good for me. Mmmmmmm ribs.

Back