• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jay's Ghost Scorpion - Joyner's Hot Pepper

Looks like an indian variety to me,and a very nice badass I might add. That being said, there are so many bhut,naga,indian variations going around that it is impossible to tell whether it is a cross or not. I have seen a bunch of those tails on a naga plant of mine. I have seen a tail or some version of a tail on just about everything I've grown this year actually. Very nice pepper for sure.
090412205513.jpg

090412205535.jpg

@PS, this was a cross created by Jay at Meadow View Farms in PA. I bought the plant already hardened off. This is not something I named or crossed. I too have ghosts with tails but nothing to date from me has been as ugly as these guys! Nice looking pods ^^

I read the whole thread... I saw where you mentioned where it was from. I wasn't saying you were trying to credit yourself,applaud you actually for offering seeds up. Just saying that people get alittle excited when they see something unique. A lot of the stuff going around is accidental. This "Jay" fellow may have created something, or may have seen a $$$ opportunity. I would like to know the story behind it for sure. Great looking pods no matter what!!

I guess everybody who is getting seeds know that there will be a lot of variance in the pods they will be getting.

Sad news, everything in my raised bed I covered last night preparing for the frost advisory. All other plants about 40 of them I sprayed with water and soaked them just after minute. Everything covered is damaged bad included the Ghost Scorpion, Jonah, 7 Brown, Choc Bhut, Pink TS, Pink Scotch....all my 1 off plants. Instead of frost we had a hard freeze. I learned one thing, spraying the plants with water > covering them! I hope some things can partially recover but most all plant ends were damaged including flowers and beginning buds.

Damn that is Hard Bad Ass News---Sorry to hear you got hit that hard :doh: That really suks---I think that your season is over.

My Bhut Jolokias croaked 4 weeks ago with a cold snap and now I have them all in the house except for the wild plants and I am going to get them in tomorrow. The 7 pots and Manazos are a lot better but they went a week ago. I even took in the Rocos in a few days ago when they were calling for freezing and they had a few damaged leaves. The wild ones are like iron out there---all of them are standing tall and proud :clap:

I do not know who told you to spray water on the plants but they are idiots---The water routine only works for strawberries in spring when you get a slight freeze. The water phase transition of water to ice absorbs a little of the cold and once that energy is used up the water/ice on the leaf it leaves a quick path for freezing the leaves. Since the water/ice is in contact the cold can rapidly move into the plant leaves and destroy them. Covering is the only thing that should be done to protect plants. Covering them allows warm air from the ground to be trapped over the leaves and make a slight hot house environment for the plants.
The only reason that water spray help strawberries is because they are low to the ground and obtain ground heat very quickly. :beer:

Balac, actually all the plants watering all over did not suffer at all, only the covered not watered plants were affected, What happens with a freeze is it pulls moisture from the plants so if you hit them with water the plant stresses less and is pretty much safe. I saved 98% of the plants sprayed with water only. The 10 that were covered, 9 of 10 got crippled!

No kidding? Wow that I crazy---I never thought that would work for pepper plants. I am sorry I called you names but that is news to me; I knew it worked for strawberries but peppers are a new on for me.

Thanks for correcting me----I will try that next year in the spring if I get a late frost.

No kidding? Wow that I crazy---I never thought that would work for pepper plants. I am sorry I called you names but that is news to me; I knew it worked for strawberries but peppers are a new on for me.

Thanks for correcting me----I will try that next year in the spring if I get a late frost.
No harm no foul, I am so bummed I didn't do it on the other plants. I'll take pictures today of the ones that I covered versus the ones I sprayed.

Very nice job on the pics. Certainly one of the more unique pods I've seen in a while. Great information on avoiding frost damage too. I will use that for sure to extend my season a litlle.

Looks like Jim Duffy is selling seeds for this one. http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Jays-Red-Ghost-Scorpion-10-Seeds-P2885720.aspx

He has a peach variety, as well. http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Jays-Peach-Ghost-Scorpion-10-Seeds-P2885717.aspx

I just bought some of the peach seeds. :)

Yeah, I won't be selling the seeds but trading them to the kind folks here. Maybe next year I will think about selling seeds..BUY POWDERS :)

Then again at that price, each pod would get me $30+ hmmmmmm

Sorry to hear about your frost. Mine brought in aphids to the point I had to cut them all the way back... hopefully they will grow out quickly. Other than sprinkling powders directly on foods how else do you use them ?

- Mega

Anybody seen Duffy selling seeds for this cross on facebook?

Says he is the sole distributor.....4th generation plants, should be plenty of pod variation with them.

Back