• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Jerk Chicken/Marinade Help, Please

BigB said:

good stuff, but still i'm sure it will be 10$ shipping and 30$ for 2# is a bit much for me. Plus, they're out of stock lol. I know of an allspice tree @ fairchild gardens, maybe I'll go snap a few branches off haha

Personally. I don't think the pimento added all that much to it all, and certainly the reward does not justify the cost.

I will not be ordering further pimento wood.

You can get a lot more mileage out of the spice mixture than the wood, in my opinion.

I actually tested this quite a bit a few months ago ... including cooking other meats over the pimento to see just what flavors it instills during shorter cooks, in different (more subtly seasoned) meats ...

Walkerswood, or even just fresh thyme and extended marinade length >> pimento logs or lump.

MeatHead1313 said:
Is orange juice an essential ingredient in jerk? The recipe I've been using doesn't call for it at all, but then again this is the only one I've tried and have no idea what authentic jerk is like
http://www.islands.com/best-jamaican-jerk-sauce
For me it's a combo of the seasoning and the jerk cooking method. Grilled chicken with jerk seasoning is not jerk chicken. The same way you can order BBQ chicken but if it is baked or grilled with BBQ sauce on it you're like... uh this is not BBQ chicken this is chicken with BBQ sauce.

Seasoning, wet rub, paste... usually all terms used interchangeably so that's what I mean.

The steaming that happens between the wood and the cover creates very moist chicken, and pimento oils are released from the wood. And charcoal is always used as the fire, far below in the pit.

The seasoning just needs some of the essentials like allspice, scallion, thyme, scotch bonnet (or any superhot as far as I'm concerned). Soy sauce, OJ, sugar, all that stuff, do as you please. Even the thyme.

Use some of the basics of the seasoning, and some of the basics of the cooking, and to me that is more jerk than 100% seasoning and grilling or smoking (or baking! lol).

jerk_pimento_wood.jpg
jerk_chicken_2.jpg

If you're gonna grill, use greyed coals and cook indirect if you can't cook high above the fire like they do on street rigs. Direct flame grilling and smoking will not yield results like real jerk.

jerk_chicken_grill1.jpeg

jerk_chicken_grill2.jpg

Roguejim said:
Tell me what I'm seeing here. Is the chicken resting right on top of the wood, with the fire below(first 2 photos)?

Yes real jerk is made similar to planking and the two popular woods are green pimento or a wood they call sweetwood (laurel tree). Aromatics like cedar is to fish.

Coals are greyed and below.

Pimento leaves or tins are put on top for some of the process for a steam effect.

It's an amazing food.

The Hot Pepper said:
For me it's a combo of the seasoning and the jerk cooking method. Grilled chicken with jerk seasoning is not jerk chicken. The same way you can order BBQ chicken but if it is baked or grilled with BBQ sauce on it you're like... uh this is not BBQ chicken this is chicken with BBQ sauce.Seasoning, wet rub, paste... usually all terms used interchangeably so that's what I mean.

The steaming that happens between the wood and the cover creates very moist chicken, and pimento oils are released from the wood. And charcoal is always used as the fire, far below in the pit.

The seasoning just needs some of the essentials like allspice, scallion, thyme, scotch bonnet (or any superhot as far as I'm concerned). Soy sauce, OJ, sugar, all that stuff, do as you please. Even the thyme.

Use some of the basics of the seasoning, and some of the basics of the cooking, and to me that is more jerk than 100% seasoning and grilling or smoking (or baking! lol).

If you're gonna grill, use greyed coals and cook indirect if you can't cook high above the fire like they do on street rigs. Direct flame grilling and smoking will not yield results like real jerk.

attachicon.gif
jerk_chicken_grill1.jpeg
attachicon.gif
jerk_chicken_grill2.jpg
Thanks for the info boss! Wonder if I can rig something similar up using the wsm?

MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks for the info boss! Wonder if I can rig something similar up using the wsm?
Short answer is yes, remove water pan and use bottom rack and and it will be close. You would need to cut wood to fit bottom rack of course. Man island street food is so epic! 

Sure it can be done on WSM, you can buy green pimento or sweetwood online, many have done it here. Grant, PIC 1. Remember jerk is a slow process so if not using the wood, make sure the coals are greyed and don't put a lid on it. Start with your presentation side down because you will need to flip it and you want to finish it presentation side up, adding more jerk seasoning and letting it cook longer, that way it looks good. You could also buy pimento charcoal which has bits of wood in it (or wood chips/chunks) for some wood flavor but you won't get that infused oil taste from the green wood and that is more like smoking so I wouldn't do that. Jerk chicken is not smoked. The charcoal flavor is actually very important, with the seasoning, and oils from the wood but not always done. There is the "hut" version and the "street" version. :)

Every once in a while on this forum you find a thread that really opens your eyes to culinary tricks that you didn't know about.

I'll be man enough to admit that I always thought jerk was all in the marinade. Didn't know about the grilling over the logs. How long can you reuse this wood?

Back