• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jerky Anyone?

Hopefully hasnt been done before, a Jerky thread, all types but especially making your own.

Had a crack at this the other day, turned out great, will be doing again this weekend i think, but a whole lot more. Got eaten in one night by everyone.

Started out with about 1.5kgs of Topside, cut into 5mm thick strips. Marinated in a mixture of soy and worcesterchire.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Then placed on wire trays and seasoned with a mixture of herbs,spices and habanero powder.

IMG_0139.jpg

All dried up, tasted awesome

What you think

IMG_0141.jpg

Looks like the smoked pig ear treats for dogs.

Never seen jerky that looks smooth and crispy like that. Usually has grain and texture. Is that an illusion, or is it crisp?

Black pepper is non digestible and considered a bark merely as a reference
Try tree rat and goat for "next  level" jerky
FWI ,anything across the Red River is a yankee by Texas terms :snooty:
hot stuff said:
Excuse me? Who you callin' Yankee. My family was one of the founders of New Orleans. I have 4 ancestors who fought for the CSA and I am a proud member of the SCV. Deo Vindice! Pbsssst! ;)

Peppercorns are not bark wood but fruits. Where on earth did you get that black pepper was bark??? Lay off the peyote down there. ;)

Concerning peppercorns being a perservative, I have never heard that it wasn't a antimicrobial agent. Although I admit it and other spices were used not only for that but also to cover up the flavor/smell of meat going bad also.

Anyway, I always use some crushed black pepper in my jerky as well as a tbl or so of Butch-T powder.
http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/9828/1/IJNPR%201%282%29%20213-215.pdf
http://idosi.org/gjp/7%281%2913/13.pdf
http://www.ijabpt.com/pdf/6337-Ram%20Kumar.pdf
Rabbit jerky:

I may live in MO but I was Raised in New Orleans and in N.O. we don't consider anything civilization northwest of a line from Lake Charles to Alexandria and northeast from the line from Alexandria to New Orleans. Everything outside of that is wasteland, barely habitable.

And yes, it isn't digestible-like so?

It's fall so I might go get some squirrel. Goat too expensive. It's more than beef, actually so is raised rabbit.

But you know, being a Cajun/Creole we can eat anything because we can make anything taste good.

geeme said:
Thanks for sharing that pic. Those also look like they are very smooth-textured, which I don't believe I've ever seen in jerky before. Kind of fascinating.
A lot of jerky is first ground and then spread out in strips. This is just plain meat whose only treatment is a marinade.

I really like Smoked Hot Jerky, This is how I make my jerky

1 lb meat
1.+ tea spoon salt,  I like less salt then most, can add more salt if you like..  *use un-iodine salt.
1 tea spoon  Powdered garlic
1 tea spoon powered Onion
1/2 tea spoon white pepper
1/8 -1/2 tea spoon super hot paprika. depends if I will to let the kids have any lol 
1/4 cup of water, water helps soak all the spices into the meat.
* All measurements are about depending on your taste  You can also add other spices if you like, Sage, rosemary etc. is also really good to add.
Put in zip lock bag in fridge for 24 hours and then smoke.

I stopped using soy, worcesterchire. or any store bought sauce, and like the taste much better all natural too.

xwpxOiS.jpg

hot stuff said:
A lot of jerky is first ground and then spread out in strips. This is just plain meat whose only treatment is a marinade.

I was Born in AZ and lived all over the USA, Really messed with people minds talking with a Texan/Canadian accent.

The Hot Pepper said:
Looks like the smoked pig ear treats for dogs.

Never seen jerky that looks smooth and crispy like that. Usually has grain and texture. Is that an illusion, or is it crisp?
It's only crispy if I dry it too much. It will crack like it should at about a 340 degree angle. But it's just the brisket of a small mammal so the grain is much smaller. It is very tasty though. My kids and nephew love it (particularly the scorpion chili aspect of it.)

hot stuff said:
I may live in MO but I was Raised in New Orleans and in N.O. we don't consider anything civilization northwest of a line from Lake Charles to Alexandria and northeast from the line from Alexandria to New Orleans. Everything outside of that is wasteland, barely habitable.

And yes, it isn't digestible-like so?

It's fall so I might go get some squirrel. Goat too expensive. It's more than beef, actually so is raised rabbit.

But you know, being a Cajun/Creole we can eat anything because we can make anything taste good.

Damn, my maternal roots lay about 25 miles out in the western wasteland of savages. lol.

I know this is a jerky thread but you brought back memories of my Grandmother's squirrel and/or rabbit gumbo. Absolutely delicious, and finding a #6 lead shot was part of the fun! That meant it was one I bagged (uncles used .22's).

And "...a Cajun/Creole...can eat anything because we can make anything taste good" is gospel.

Sorry for the hijack.

Carry on.

hot stuff said:
I'm referring to all "just plain meat whose only treatment is a marinade", including the stuff I make - never seen it smooth looking like that. But, perhaps it's not slices, but sections of a flat muscle, kind of like flank steak? 

Ah - just Googled it - that's exactly what it is: http://honest-food.net/2010/05/19/how-to-cut-up-a-rabbit/

The only ground meat jerky I've ever seen is dog treats. I'm just used to seeing texture. I guess rabbit is just texture-free. It sure is different looking.

thats the belly flaps your seeing that are smooth textured like that
I use whole rabbit and squirrel meat regularly and it awesome jerky if it not over powered with seasonings and stuff that hide
the true meats flavor.
I salt and pepper my jerky and let the respective meat shine for all its worth

Smoking about 9 lbs. of beef jerky today.  First batch is done.  About to get on the second batch and possibly a third if the rest doesn't fit in the smoker this time around.

Curing salt and other spices including Apple wood smoked Yellow 7 Pot powder.  And into the fridge it went for 24 hours.

Smoker shot!  Using apple wood.

Finished product!  Oh so damn delicious!!!!

dash 2 said:

High five! That looks gorgeous. Which cut of meat is that? 
It was a from the Round.  Wifey's parents brought down a whole round a couple weeks ago.  It had to weigh 30+ lbs.  Cut up a couple steaks,  a couple roasts and 2, 1gal.  freezer bags just for jerky.  

Back