• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Jerky Anyone?

Hopefully hasnt been done before, a Jerky thread, all types but especially making your own.

Had a crack at this the other day, turned out great, will be doing again this weekend i think, but a whole lot more. Got eaten in one night by everyone.

Started out with about 1.5kgs of Topside, cut into 5mm thick strips. Marinated in a mixture of soy and worcesterchire.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Then placed on wire trays and seasoned with a mixture of herbs,spices and habanero powder.

IMG_0139.jpg

All dried up, tasted awesome

What you think

IMG_0141.jpg

Make it all into jerky!  $2.99lb?  That is awesome.   If you want to buy jerky you will pay $15-$20lb around here.  Much cheaper to make it, and usually better too as the only hot stuff I have found is only cayenne or habanero.

I just got done filling my excalibur with a big ol' heap of beef! I used about 4.5 lbs of round steak marinated in: 
3/4 c. worcestershire
3/4 c. soy sauce
1.5 T. onion powder
1 T. fresh black pepper (Sorry Geeme. Your thread, my jerky!  ;) )
about a dozen dried Caribbean reds
1 T. agave nectar

IMG_0069_zps8033e291.jpg

I let it marinate for about 12 hours, and in it goes at 155F. There's nothing like the smell of a dehydrator full of soon-to-be jerky! I know what I'm having for breakfast! :party:

dash 2 said:
1 T. fresh black pepper (Sorry Geeme. Your thread, my jerky!  ;) )
     I let it marinate for about 12 hours, and in it goes at 155F. There's nothing like the smell of a dehydrator full of soon-to-be jerky! I know what I'm having for breakfast! :party:

LOL - Not my thread - Booma started it! You know, we all have something we can't stand, mine just happens to be BP. But I get that most of the rest of the world likes it, so it's cool for ya.
And I agree - the smell of things dehydrating is just so good, it's tempting to open it up and sneak some before it's done. Looks good, dash!

Good on you, Nate, for selling some. I know I could sell mine, if I was willing to make it more often, as people who've tried it keep asking when I am going to have more.

Whole pork loin on sale for $1.99/lb. Cut off the marbled parts for stir-fry, all the rest is marinating for jerky. Can't wait!

Personally I like making rabbit jerky. Butchered rabbit has what is known as belly flaps. It would be equivalent to the brisket section of beef. But not a whole lot you can do with it. I cut it into strips, about 5lbs of it. Then I soak it for a week with a cup of soy, a cup of water, 1 tbs of Butch-T powder, 3 tbs. salt 3 tbl powdered garlic and a pureed onion. Then I put it in my excalibur until it reaches the dryness I like. My nephew loves it.

hot stuff said:
Personally I like making rabbit jerky. Butchered rabbit has what is known as belly flaps. It would be equivalent to the brisket section of beef. But not a whole lot you can do with it. I cut it into strips, about 5lbs of it. Then I soak it for a week with a cup of soy, a cup of water, 1 tbs of Butch-T powder, 3 tbs. salt 3 tbl powdered garlic and a pureed onion. Then I put it in my excalibur until it reaches the dryness I like. My nephew loves it.
We have wild rabbits in our yard most of the time, no way they'd yield 5 lbs. of anything, let alone belly flaps. Are you talking about from one rabbit or multiples? Definitely need pics of that jerky, regardless!

Yall dare get truly adventurous try simple 50/50 salt and pepper on your meat for outstanding real deal jerky
I live and breath jerky made from assorted meat proteins here,we process 100lb dried weight every year.
If you can appreciate a good steak without sauce youll love "true jerky",anything else is Jack O Links :)

TNKS said:
Yall dare get truly adventurous try simple 50/50 salt and pepper on your meat for outstanding real deal jerky
I live and breath jerky made from assorted meat proteins here,we process 100lb dried weight every year.
If you can appreciate a good steak without sauce youll love "true jerky",anything else is Jack O Links :)

Hmmm. I gotta try that. I'm definitely a steak puritan - sometimes I don't even want pepper on mine. 

I know salt does that, didn't know pepper did. I thought that was a busted myth?

Black pepper is a bark "wood"
Please explain . . . . . . . ?
hot stuff said:
Pepper is an important ingredient in jerky as it serves to preserve the meat and keep away certain nasties.
said every Yankee  north of the Red River . . . . . . :rolleyes:

HopsNBarley said:
I reckon I'd like to try me some of that "true jerky" stuff.

TNKS said:
Black pepper is a bark "wood"
Please explain . . . . . . . ?

said every Yankee  north of the Red River . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Excuse me? Who you callin' Yankee. My family was one of the founders of New Orleans. I have 4 ancestors who fought for the CSA and I am a proud member of the SCV. Deo Vindice! Pbsssst! ;)

Peppercorns are not bark wood but fruits. Where on earth did you get that black pepper was bark??? Lay off the peyote down there. ;)

Concerning peppercorns being a perservative, I have never heard that it wasn't a antimicrobial agent. Although I admit it and other spices were used not only for that but also to cover up the flavor/smell of meat going bad also.

Anyway, I always use some crushed black pepper in my jerky as well as a tbl or so of Butch-T powder.
http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/9828/1/IJNPR%201%282%29%20213-215.pdf
http://idosi.org/gjp/7%281%2913/13.pdf
http://www.ijabpt.com/pdf/6337-Ram%20Kumar.pdf
Rabbit jerky:

I'm glad you labeled that, hot stuff, as I first thought it was shale. Looks very similar to the creek bed that's close by. Weird. And interesting shapes - doesn't make me think of rabbit at all. One of the butchers in this area gets rabbit in at times; guess I'll have to give it a try.

Y'all are nuts if you think BP is needed for anything, least of all preserving things. Ha!  :drooling:

Just look at it as "more for you!" 

Well that bellyflaps laid out and dried for you. Of course the color comes from the marinade it sits in for a week before I dehydrate it.

Thanks for sharing that pic. Those also look like they are very smooth-textured, which I don't believe I've ever seen in jerky before. Kind of fascinating.

Back