• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Jerky in UDS Question...

For the UDS I would suggest chunks over chips, and I would say usually less than a lb as the meat will only absorb smoke for the first hour or so.

JayT said:
For the UDS I would suggest chunks over chips, and I would say usually less than a lb as the meat will only absorb smoke for the first hour or so.

Ok. Thanks for that JayT.....That might make some USA wood a good option.....

EDIT: I'm an idiot........Customs would never let it though.....back to square one...:lol:

JayT said:

i agree on a UDS that chunks can be used, but if chunks are not available, you can wrap your chips in heavy duty foil, poke a few holes in the foil. make them about the same size as a fist.

in a UDS, your meat will continue to take on smoke flavor, if u go any further with jerky, all u r going to taste is the flavor of the smoke and nothing else except maybe the charcoal.

i have been smoking some loin ribs lately and had to cut down the actual smoke times because the smoke flavor was a little too much.

now i am not sure but i believe dehydrators go to a maximum of 160*F even on the 1000 watt ones.

As it relates to dried meat or jerky, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) currently recommends that before making jerky (dehydrating meat at temperatures of 130 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit or 54 to 60 degrees Celsius), the meat’s internal temperature be raised to 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 71 degrees Celsius. The USDA recommends this step to safely ensure that any harmful microorganisms (E. coli, etc.), that may be present in meat, be destroyed prior to the dehydrating process.

some very good info here

http://www.food-dehydrator.com/food-dehydrator/resource-center/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

I smoke jerky at lower temps but use sodium nitrate as a cure. People seem to be afraid of nitrates but they are natural and are in most green veggies and all bacon, hams, and other cured meats as well as being produced naturally by our bodies. It also gives jerky a nice color as well as preventing botulism

hey Moyboy...i just read one of your posts that you use table salt.. dont..lol

most table salt is iodized(makes it so it doesnt clump), use rock salt,sea salt,pickling salk any kind of salt but table salt.

i dont have the link right now but when you use table salt for smoking foods, the it does something not good to it

BamsBBQ said:
hey Moyboy...i just read one of your posts that you use table salt.. dont..lol

most table salt is iodized(makes it so it doesnt clump), use rock salt,sea salt,pickling salk any kind of salt but table salt.

i dont have the link right now but when you use table salt for smoking foods, the it does something not good to it

Wow ok....Thanks Bams. You learn something new every day.....I'll stop using the table salt for jerky in general then...

:)

Metallic flavors from iodide.

thehotpepper.com said:

oh look who decided to join the party.....and you just keep on adding more crap to your signature don't you.....:rofl:

You are guilting me into getting this finished ASAP......Now I will most likely go with the thoughts of my above post it should happen a little quicker.....say march next year. :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:

thats the ticket..lol

i couldnt think of it and i am too tired to google it..lol

you could put some of this nice little stuff that i got in the mail today on ur jerky moyboy:mouthonfire:

this stuff is the SH*T

qysm6q.jpg

moyboy said:
yeah I've given that stuff a try and still have a little in the cupboard....:D

i either make my own cajun spice or buy it. this stuff had been moved to the front of the spice cupboard for easy access and replaced those.

awesome flavor

BamsBBQ said:
i either make my own cajun spice or buy it. this stuff had been moved to the front of the spice cupboard for easy access and replaced those.

awesome flavor

We aussies know what good flvours are all about...:D

Back