• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Jerky issue

Just a thought TNKS. It won't help you this year but at harvest time, you could make a bunch of pepper puree. If you can it all, it will last for a year or more. There is nothing hotter than Reaper puree to add to your marinade.

AJ has a puree recipe around here that you should be able to find.

Man that puree recipe ain't no joke when using supers.

Good use of the puree though. I'll put some of mine in my next batch of jerky.

Late to the party here, but glad you got your hands on some Pure Evil.  Just a note when using it- if you put it in the marinade, it will make things hotter, but again, you want the heat on the meat, not just in the sauce.  I've suggested to other jerky makers to- remove the meat from the marinade, then using just a bit of the marinade (like what drips off into the bowl) add the Pure Evil to that, then work that into or onto the meat right before drying.  If you just lace up the marinade, a good protion will be left in the marinade.

Maybe start the drying process, then brush the pieces with a marinade/Pure Evil mixture. 

What I was initially thinking when starting to read this thread...for working with the powders...After the marinade and drain, lay the pieces out, sprinkle with hot powder, then use a meat mallet to gently pound the powder into all the nooks and crannies. 

And after reading to the last post....do a similar with the puree.  Drain the pieces, smear the surface with reaper puree, off to the drying house. 

(ps- if you brush a Pure Evil/marinade mixture onto the pieces while drying.....make sure to get your own brush.  Your Lovely [if you have one?] will not be pleased when brushing egg whites onto the pie crust and having it come out Evil-ized!!!  :fireball:   .99 cents could save you a whole lot of heartache.    :lol:  )

Looking forward to hearing what works for you~
SL

LOL!! no doubt,been there "trashed that"
My personal level is still tempted towards the 14mil PE,how hot is to hot?
Ive yet to be "broken" so to speak,I love extreme heat
Not stupid,nothing really to prove publicly,where is that smash my ass,dont do it again throttle shot to mortality?
Anyway,my jerky is awesome and I wished I could share with everyone,its really very good.

SL send me a PM with a freight address and Ill drop you a sample just cause :)
I know it isnt "perfect" but its pretty damn good and yes its free

Thank you kindly for the offer.  I'll send a PM.  Do you have any puree yet?   

Yes several quarts recently received
I have no idea what Im to do with them LOL!
Need to be about collecting all of the PE variants for the shelf of horror, some lucky kin folk will get after Im gone

several QUARTS of puree?!?!???  :fireball:  :mouthonfire:  :flamethrower:  :fire:  

OK you're set for a couple (weeks/months/YEARS!!!!)  :lol:

Enjoy the Burn!  :D

I plan on drying one or two for powder,its a PITA but does work
Imported Yellow Thai Chilies are amazingly hot,local lady freights them in for her restaurant,I got the over flow this year

TNKS said:
I plan on drying one or two for powder,its a PITA but does work
Imported Yellow Thai Chilies are amazingly hot,local lady freights them in for her restaurant,I got the over flow this year
Can you post some pictures of them? Are they sourced from Thailand? 

Likly so,she freights in all of the legit stuff she needs to do "authentic"
Ive never seen yellow Thia any where around here,local food service companys cant get them here either.
All I have is the puree she made,the flavor is very good

"Buy drying" I meant the quarts of puree,not pods

Ok, wanted to see if you had the fresh pods. I'll post pictures once mine ripen and if they are true I am going to isolate some of them for damn sure!

Ill see if I can drag the wife out next Sat for dinner there and have a visit with her
She is very nice and is always bringing out crazy native stuff for me to try(unlike any Thai restaurant Ive ever eaten)
 I smoked out her son a year or so back with some reaper blend powder(kid eats all thing screamer hot) he wants no more of that level thats for sure :mouthonfire:
Ill see exactly where she sources from and see if I can snag a few pods,Ill be glad to ship you some if they are "true" imports
The seed will do you good next season anyway.Pods will be good,they are HOT little bastards for sure

First review has returned notes
Good spice,solid flavor,still taste the beef
So Im not worthy and didnt bring enough heat :mope: ;)
What to do,what to do ? the guy didnt blink at Lava,Brainstrain,Reaper,Primo dusted jerky
(2TBS of same powder in 16oz wet marinade,4lb meat just over 48hrs soak)
They are soldiers so they speak like soldiers,f-bomb heavy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTVHMWqPOuA

OK just in belly full of raging Thai heat from the sweet short lady
Had a great visit and she explained alot of her culture regarding the "Birds Eye Chili" of her home land
She blew off all the formal labeling brought by western science,and I said but! and then I said but! LOL
Sweet lady was patient yet determined to be very clear in her teachings :)
She gave me a package of local sourced seeds with the only english being"Bird Pepper",the rest is all Thai
I told her I would grow them for her next season and she said she had no interest in them :snooty:

She said to grow them out,save alot of seed and discard everything else(garbage) Thai do not use regardless of source,you must be certain she said.
Then grow out those seeds the following season and she will buy every generation from then on
Her take on the tri color is green to yellow to red grow stages.
Thai believe the chili to be its very hottest during the yellow stage and loosing a great deal going into the final ripening of red.
To summarize,you cant buy yellow strain specific Thai chili,leave'em hanging and they all turn red :cool:

I sent Bill Moore and  Ann(Salsalady) a sample of jerky
Both said"quite hot" and not much else :dance: :fireball: :dance: :rofl: :rofl:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I am not sure, mine is always HOT just using a non super and when using a super most cannot eat it including me, too hot to enjoy the jerky :)

Sucks when you shuffle out free shit to ingrates
Very much disappointed when I dropped a C-note to send out folks samples of my jerky
Got acouple decent return comments,one actual vid(cool)
 I learned the super hot fans are no less then the other "FREE SLUTS" in todays world
Still waiting on three to come in this week(they should) pretty solid folks

Old School door to door doesnt seem to work any more . . . . . . . :mope: :mope:

Back