• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2014.....in summary

Whew!
2013 Swirling down the Drain of Time.

Washing the 10x20s for a New Year.

By last October I was so peppered out  -40 some superhot plants and over twice that many mild and sweets. Didn't think I'd ever see the end of it. But, an early surprise freeze caught me off guard and I lost several mild and sweeties. I did get almost the entire superhot crop, dried, smoked, fermented, frozen or pickled. so I should have no dearth of heat to see me through to 2014 harvest.

I owe most of my pepper success in 2013 to YOU.
All the folks here at THP helped me from seed, to advice, to encouragement, to inspiration.  Couldn't have done it without y'all.

Some changes for 2014:

I'm moving my Cappy 1000 Pepper Incubator into my  basement utility room. Last year I had it in a minimally heated out building and the night times often dipped into the 50s or lower. And come to find out, baby peppers don't much care for that. They survived, they were just slow growers.

Dirt:

Fox Farms Ocean Forest will be my potting mix. It's organic and hopefully will be as good as the Miracle Grow Moisture Control and it can't be any worse than my home-brew last year which wasn't horrible but coulda been better.

Timing:

Instead of putting most of my seed in the ground in early February, I'm going to hold off until later on the Annums. The Chinensis at least some in early - mid January and some Manzano seeds earlier than that if I can find them. :rolleyes:

How Many for Plant Out?:

Not 140.
I'm devoting 2 raised beds -a 4x30 and a 4x16 to Sweet Peppers -Jimmy Nardello, King of the North, Gaint Marconis, Aji Dulce. About 26 plants. 
100' in my row garden. Probably 40 plant's. Haven't decided on the balance, Bhuts, 7 pot, Habs, Bonnets, Jalas, the usual suspects and a few odd balls.
66 plants +/- total. I totally neglected my maters last year(which given the season didn't make much difference), but this year I vow to do better by tomatoes. I hope to do 50 or so -all heirlooms, mostly paste.
I'll start several more of both than needed for selling and give-aways.

In related news....

My buddy up in Richmond grew a lot of peppers last year. He has a geodesic dome greenhouse. At the end of season he just dug up several of his pepper plants and moved them in inside.

They're looking pretty good for late December.

My last "harvest" of 2013 was 12/22/13; some Thai Chilis that I'd pulled the whole plants in October and just laid up on a table outside. Most had dried leather-hard.

I pulled, cooked, seasoned, ground and strained them into a sauce for Pad Thai for this winter.

Everything subject to change without notice.
(But I'll keep you posted)

Thanks for reading,
JJJ

JJJ looking real good.

Surprised you onions are ready this early in the year. Mine all still have green tops and only a few are starting to fall over. I thought we planted in a similar time frame earlier this year.

Garlic looks great. I didn't grow any this year, but definitely next year.

Peppers are all looking good as well and man those tomatoes are producing. Congratz on the good year so far.

I'd put Lurch to digging post holes for a garden fence. ;)

Jeff, I still have onions in  the ground. All cipolinis and the hybrid ones are suffering with too much rain now. I'm going to get the rest out of the ground tomorrow.

I cut the tiny, tiniest piece of Jigsaw off the tip of one Scott sent me. That was way more than enough. :D

We are are getting a pretty good flow of rain, almost too good but nothing like last year's deluge.

The manzano patch.

ZoXnvmMl.jpg

the biggest of the 4 is putting out flowers now. It's got 90 days to first average frost.
After seeing FreeportBum's container specimen, I'm inspired to follow suit to OW one or two of my 6 plants.
My container Manz are just not doin' it. Probably too much shade. I finally pulled one ripe one, and took it to Richmond to share with a friend and forgot about it.  :banghead: There will be others.

Fatalli patch.

itzbqtUl.jpg

I have four from seed I saved last year, plus I have one of from their parent seed lot too.
Form looks OK on this one with an exception here and there.

The Marconi patch.

HChgXfRl.jpg

These are getting out of hand in a good way.
I used all my old mater cages elsewhere.Staking a loaded pepper plant takes a gentle touch and a lot of luck.

The J Nardello patch

fZsbdbol.jpg

This plant is going crazy. The best of about 10-12 plants.

I think there are a few coming on that may be bigger than this one.

TUDSJ3Wl.jpg

They are fairly docile after you wrestle them off the vine.

The White Bhut patch

sJ20qtWl.jpg

Plant one is showing the most variation in phenotype

QMOuzhjl.jpg

Is getting some color.

The Bolivian Rainbow patch

or what ever it is, hyper-drive-pod-setting motion.

down below

7K1lsSDl.jpg

it's making a good trunk for a possible bonchi attempt.
It's in a 25 gallon barrel half, and I don't have a Lurch to lug it around for me as is. I need advice on when to re-pot, what size, etc...etc.

The tomato patch.

Z4gvxFtl.jpg

Most of my first real harvest. No splitters, but if the rain doesn't ease up....
These were pulled pretty close to ripe. But I may not have that luxury from here on out. I'll try to at least get them a day or so after first blush.

If Tomatoes, then Salsa

KrjSkBAl.jpg

I needed more tomatoes to balance out my onions and I could have tossed a little more of that Jigsaw in too.
Just playing it safe with the first batch. 

Thanks for reading.

Devv said:
Eat that Jigsaw (parts) in an omelet, the flavor will impress you.

+1 on that... when I try a superhot for the first time, I usually have it in an egg and cheese sandwich to tone it down to bearable levels. ;)

Marconis and Nardellos look awesome TJ... and it looks like the wave is building on those White Bhuts! Tomatoes here are also just beginning to kick in too. Cheers!

Man you have quite the grow going. :)

That plant that split; I've had a little success repairing them (have big dogs, and sometimes they do crap like that to me when chasing cats). This includes completely snapped stems. Works only if the break is within a few inches of the soil line.

First I splint it with something that can decompose (branch, popsicle sticks, etc). Use garbage ties to secure it in place a few inches above and below the break. Make sure to line it up as closely as humanly possible! (The branch will decompose quickly as the stem starts to regrow)

Second, wrap the broken area with plastic (garbage bag, plastic bag, etc) from an inch above to an inch below the break, tightly, and secure it with thin cloth string (you want those to decompose rapidly) (This is so the plant sucks water up, needs to have a vaccuum.) (Depending on the splint used you might need to put the plastic partway around BEFORE splinting, then tie it off)

Third, wrap pure cotton cloth, but somewhat loosely (will decompose/expand pretty quickly and stretch some if you put it on loose), two inches above and below the break. (this is to give another barrier against infection/infestation)

Fourth, wet soil to MUD - and mix in diluted root stimulant, and pack it in a pyramid tightly around the stem until you're several inches above the break. (Clay works best). When the mud dries, it will harden and form a cast around the area, and reinforce the plant. The root stimulant diluted in the mud-mix will encourage the plant to grow additional roots on the stem that is now buried.

Fifth, stake the plant on three sides and make sure it cannot BUDGE.

I saved a couple plants this way last year that had been severed an inch or two above the soil line. the plant may wilt a little, but may survive and thrive.

JJJessee said:

What an great glog you got going here, JJJ. Love the peppers and tomatoes and what an huge amount of pods on your plants, amazing!! I have to agree with you on those "Padrons". Those are not Padrons, to elongated and narrow shoulders. I've been growing and eating them every season. As long as they taste good ;) but I wouldn't save seeds from them as Padron.

IMAG4597.jpg

Looking good JJJ. You got some nice roasting peppers in there... you're grow is looking as systematic and balanced as ever. I experienced the same situation with the white bhuts... lots of variation and mine grew yellow-orange with an aroma very similar to the yellows from Charles, which I think are superior peppers.

Anyway, keep it going bud!

JJJessee said:

. . . and I could have tossed a little more of that Jigsaw in too.
Just playing it safe with the first batch. 

You do NOT want Lurch to dig post holes. No. You'd have to stand over him, or your "holes," regardless of what you said, wrote, armed and meaning what you said to him: no. Field would look like hole bombs went off in it. (And he wanted to know if he could put new AC condensate pump on for me. :rofl: :rofl: .) But he does love to play in mud, insofar as he can track said mud inside say, your, your wife's kitchen. No; not mean: just really, really inbred.

Fool's singing old gospel spirituals--am I a cliche or what?--while we were pulling that damnable pigweed (I think I told Scott this one in PM); so he's whatzis? I say "Pigweed." So, as we're pulling, he asks, "Where does Twigweed" :rolleyes: "come from?" I said, "Midwest." He asks, "Wherezat?" I said, "Ya know Midwest, like Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansans, Nebraska. STATES in the United States." He asks, "Is that in America?"

Sure: will send him to ya! (You'll find yourself humming old gospel songs to yourself, however. I keep seeing this murder scene on film before my eyes, when the murderer is humming old gospel . . .)

I commend you on the good sense to go Jigsaw lightly. Let's just leave it at that. Or eating an entire pod on an empty stomach is not intelligent.

Am seeing a similar thing with white bhuts but I'm gonna bet they taste the same. And if not, that's how lotta crosses begin. I have a Fatalii that looks half-pods fatalii and half yellow jonah and no clue why.

NICE MATERS!! I love that Pink-Berk-Tie-Dye! Excellent tasting tom and doesn't mind as much H2O as others. Of course, then there WAS last year's tomato swimming accident.

Evathang looking stellar, Trip J! :dance:

Durham Bull said:
love the mater photos.
things just start to ripen here too. 

let me know what's your best tasting large tomato.

Sy
Thanks, Sy
My best large mater could very well be that Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye. But Black Krim on the right day, right mater, could get the vote.
What's really surprising me are the greens -Cherokee Green, and Green Zebra.

Peter S said:
Your plants are looking awesome. How long did it take your fatali pods to start ripening?

Oops, :D I wasn't really paying close attention.
But to be sure. It ain't fast.

annie57 said:

You do NOT want Lurch to dig post holes. No. You'd have to stand over him, or your "holes," regardless of what you said, wrote, armed and meaning what you said to him: no. Field would look like hole bombs went off in it. (And he wanted to know if he could put new AC condensate pump on for me. :rofl: :rofl: .) But he does love to play in mud, insofar as he can track said mud inside say, your, your wife's kitchen. No; not mean: just really, really inbred.

Fool's singing old gospel spirituals--am I a cliche or what?--while we were pulling that damnable pigweed (I think I told Scott this one in PM); so he's whatzis? I say "Pigweed." So, as we're pulling, he asks, "Where does Twigweed" :rolleyes: "come from?" I said, "Midwest." He asks, "Wherezat?" I said, "Ya know Midwest, like Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansans, Nebraska. STATES in the United States." He asks, "Is that in America?"

Sure: will send him to ya! (You'll find yourself humming old gospel songs to yourself, however. I keep seeing this murder scene on film before my eyes, when the murderer is humming old gospel . . .)

I commend you on the good sense to go Jigsaw lightly. Let's just leave it at that. Or eating an entire pod on an empty stomach is not intelligent.

Am seeing a similar thing with white bhuts but I'm gonna bet they taste the same. And if not, that's how lotta crosses begin. I have a Fatalii that looks half-pods fatalii and half yellow jonah and no clue why.

NICE MATERS!! I love that Pink-Berk-Tie-Dye! Excellent tasting tom and doesn't mind as much H2O as others. Of course, then there WAS last year's tomato swimming accident.

Evathang looking stellar, Trip J! :dance:
Yeah, Jigsaw. I finely chopped a dime's worth to scramble in some eggs, and cut that back to a nickle and was glad of it.

My big Jig is coloring up now. Turns quickly for a super. Good breeding in that mare.

xygbC8nl.jpg

Yeah, this is the Way of the Cross (leads home) for 2014.

This don't look so BOCish but wha-da-I-know?

CDngjygl.jpg

But a fortuitous cross just maybe that Jimmy Nardello up above. It's a little flat for a Jimmy and honkin' big, maybe too big.
I hadn't had the idea yet to  taste test, but the world could use a bigger Jimmy Nardello if it's sweet enough.

This Fatalli is from seeds I saved. It has some really close kin that's "off" so to speak, but is a golden child himself.

vCLjOtll.jpg

And these little goobers are just cute as a button, but not full-bloodied Arledge I'm guessin'.

D3ueVgbl.jpg

And color way ahead of big, normal sister.

Yes! Pink-Berk-Tie-Dye-For!
It's a bit runny, but the taste is sublime. I'm waiting on Black from Tula to give it a challenge or head back to the Kremlin -or Tula -or where ever.

"On Jordan's stormy banks I stand and cast a wishful eye...."

juanitos said:
wow those white bhuts are loaded
Thanks,  Packed like sardines on there. :)

This plant is not on prime real estate, but it could be a contender with a good shot in the right spot.
Nagabon.

NHJ7ZjRl.jpg

and the Fidalgo Roxa right down the street, even though it's a little pepper, is not too shabby.

fpSZZHpl.jpg

All these "thick patches" of pods seem to be setting on the "old growth"  from when the plants were still potted.
The plants took a solid month to transition to in-ground, then lots of new suckers appeared and they took awhile to start budding.
They are just past that stage now -a new canopy, blooming and setting fruit at more modest levels.
It's puzzling how plants work, but they seem to know what they're doing.

A few shots from the World of Non.

UYfk9GGl.jpg

jxD5P1Ll.jpg

tafWRsgl.jpg

n0htAwPl.jpg

Thanks for reading.

As usual you're glog is rolling along! And that Nardello! It's enough to make a man feel in-adequate... er... not me mind you... yea that's what I meant...

Playing catch up. Sorry. That was great. Those pulls and pics look fantastic. Huge Nardello's. Can't believe the pod sets, freaking amazing.

Have a great weekend.

J³ can you recommend a solid easy and effective sips soilless recipe.

I hear
Recipe #1: Sphagnum Peat
70% Sphagnum Peat
20% Vermiculite
10% Perlite
Mix in a cup of Dolomite into the top 3 inches and use a slow release ring of fertilizer around the plants?

-=Jason=-

Durham Bull said:
Beautiful stuff there JJJ

Love the maters, and lots of it too.
Got to try to grow some Pink-Berk-Tie-Dye next season.
Those PBTD are gaining momentum in Tomatoville.
But this is my first year with Green When Ripe tomatoes and they are BLOW. ING. MY. MIND.
Cherokees Green, Green Zebra, both winners. I haven't tried my Aunt Ruby's Green German yet.
So well behaved as fruit and plants.

X8d7Z7Vl.jpg

Well, at least when their string doesn't break. To be fair we did have tornadoes in the area over the weekend.

Blister said:
As usual you're glog is rolling along! And that Nardello! It's enough to make a man feel in-adequate... er... not me mind you... yea that's what I meant...

I'm thinking that Nard Plant is a fortuitous cross. The J Nard next to it is just starting to bloom, the other Nards at rounder and smaller, e.g. "Nard typical"
I'm saving seed. :D

stickman said:
You've got some great pulls ahead of you TJ...Pods are looking fantastic! I love me some 'maters and eggplants too. Nice rack on that buck, and being still in velvet it'll get bigger. Do you do any hunting?
No. I like deer meat though. Just never got around to it. Went once in my early 20s.
Saw some of that guy's progeny (most likely) milling about along the road about a 1/2 mile from my house.

6cz4mncl.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Looks great bud! Enjoying those tomato pics. Fatalii looks like a winner too! You got some good eatin comin up.

Thanks,
The row mate of that one is coming on too.

51LMDJzl.jpg

as are the MoAs

dlulb9pl.jpg

haven't got to any A grade shapes yet.

And speaking of great tasting peppers....

Je44RYxl.jpg

It probably could have been just a tad riper, but that first bite was juicy, fruity and sweet. 
The second bite I got a bit of placenta and the heat was There. Neither annum nor chinense, but just under an MoA in heat. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

OCD Chilehead said:
Playing catch up. Sorry. That was great. Those pulls and pics look fantastic. Huge Nardello's. Can't believe the pod sets, freaking amazing.

Have a great weekend.
Thanks, OCD. The weekend was eventful. Had an old friend needed a place to crash for a few days while in town visiting family.
So, we caught up. But I took yesterday to "stick a fork in the ground" of a new/old endeavor I've been meaning to get around to for the last 25 years.
Collecting, propagating, and disseminating, antique/classic roses. Whilst up on the mountain 2 years ago looking for blueberries, Mrs J and I came upon a common wild and I was ill-prepared to take a switch of it and new I'd be back anyways.
So yesterday I was back checking on berries, apples and collecting water.
And prepared.

Y8K06aml.jpg

fragrant, single, probably close to Rosa virginiana or maybe  even a Damask.
Carried in as seed by birds no doubt. I don't think there had ever been a home place within miles of there.

I even rough scratched out a calling card design if I decide to turn professional as a rose rustler. ;)

JiLNwOdl.jpg

Berries and apples are both looking good too.
I'll be back again.

Flomaster said:
J³ can you recommend a solid easy and effective sips soilless recipe.

I hear
Recipe #1: Sphagnum Peat
70% Sphagnum Peat
20% Vermiculite
10% Perlite
Mix in a cup of Dolomite into the top 3 inches and use a slow release ring of fertilizer around the plants?

-=Jason=-
 That looks straight out of the book and I've used it in some of mine with good results.
But I've used also a re-amended used potting soil plus the top ring of organics nutes too, also good results.
The key, I think, is 20% vermiculite to make sure it will suck water quickly enough. I may even go a little heavy on the verm on my next batch.
My eggplant buckets wilt after 2 days without re-watering.

Thanks for reading.

Back