• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2015....Peppers,Peppers,Peppers.....

Peppers,Peppers,Peppers.....

This starts my third Grow Log on THP.

And “I (as we all promise) am cutting back this year”, but we'll all struggle not to plant willy-nilly way more than we can easily get in the ground, consume, or harvest for next summer. There are many less innocent passions to pursue so, “what the hay?” My goal as far as cut-back, is to not end up with more that 45 plants in the ground about the end of May. But the “sowing itch” could make that 60 in a heart beat.

It's about time to get some soil made up. Last year I think for the first time I started to really get a handle and some decent results in the making of container soils, due mostly to the advice of Ganjagirl on a 420 site. Plus, I tried some plain ol' coir with hydro nutes and that  works as good as soil. Even grew some tomatoe transplants in pure, well-composted oak leaves and guano tea. Worked just fine. I made a trip to an organic farm supply last September and stocked up to add to what a scrounge up locally. I have some bricks of coir and a bale of sphagnum already soaking, worm casting, azomite, kelp, perlite, vermiculite, compost, composted oak leaves, glacial rock dust, oyster shell grit, dolomite, and a few other goodies at the ready to start thinking seriously about a final recipe. [SIZE=10pt]Thirty days is good to let everything meld before sowing in, but 60 days is better. So it's none too early.[/SIZE]

I'm still looking for that magic start date that gets the best-sized transplant plant in the ground with plenty of time to ripen fruit. The super-hots, manzanos, and a few others are the main lots that I want to time-tweak. First year, supers were sown in early February, the plants were smallish (bad soil, cool grow area) at mid-May plant out. Still they made a more than adequate crop, though some varieties had a lot of green pods at frost. That can be a factor of summer heat interrupting pollination and not just immature plants. Then the there's day length...so many variables, so few equations. A lot of things work plenty well enough, I have a habit of over-thinking. The next year I started early in January, good soil and warm grow space, thinking bigger plants would produce more ripe pods and maybe sooner too. It was better, but the the plants may have been a little root bound, it was dry for a month after plant-out, for what ever reason they seemed to stall in the ground, more than just a little transplant shock, but nothing major. So this year I'm going to do a bit of a straddle. A few early January supers, but moving to a gallon pot at about 4-6 weeks. Last year, I moved a few from 3.5” to 5” but I think there wasn't enough recovery time or pot volume to make a difference from the ones that stayed in 3.5” square (deep) pots. But in the end, this year's protocols will be just slightly better educated guesses with plenty of unknowns to keep me interested.

Anyway's here is my sowing calendar for peppers subject to change (without discretion)

Sowing dates will also flex I'm sure. I just need something to help me focus and control the Itch.
I've spent a fair amount of time getting my seed database in order this past year. 

I'm doing a little less experimenting variety wise this year. Lots fewer supers, but plenty enough to heat things up. I've thought of growing supers in 5 gal SIP buckets, but before I do that I need to hook them up on a float-controlled water supply. A SIP with a big plant in it sometimes need watering everyday and I'd rather side-step that everyday thing.

One pepper that I'm getting good mileage from on the dinner plate is the Manzano. I've still got good fresh peppers in the fridge over a month old. 

I grew 6 plants and some had ripening issues, but I've got a couple of early starts already going in 5" pots.

At this rate I'll have to prune or something make it to May. Those sprouted in about 11 days and are 5 weeks from seed. 

Rather than idle my grow shelves I've been cropping lettuce and chard on them for salads since an extra cold Nov decimated my outdoor lettuce bed among other things.

This is 25 days from seeding.

I did get my garlic in the ground a little earlier this year (about a month ago) and a nice layer of composted leaves on it.

I should start giving it liquid nutes about late February.

The only real expansion I have in mind is a series of small raised beds about  30" x 48" for herbs, perennials, and what not.

Plus some 4x4 for roses, 

Maybe some wine grapes - Cabernet Franc, Chambourcin, Riesling, do OK around here.

I'll likely plant another 25 raspberries in late March.

2015 could be the year I finally start some bee hives. Ya never know.

Thanks for reading.

Wow, JJJ, you've been busy.  Everything's looking great.  I just found this glog and have gotten caught up.  Will be following.

JJJessee said:

Snow will be good on the beds and protect them from the wind and freezing so deep. That way the soil biology will stay a little more active or at least recover quicker I'm thinking. 

Nah... the ground here freezes solid every winter and it doesn't seriously disturb the soil flora. The soil-dwelling bacteria sporulate themselves just before the ground freezes, and when it thaws enough to drain, they become active again. I spade in some compost or composted manure then and give them plenty to eat to speed up the process.

Thanks, guys.

Well, I've hit a snag, and it's complicated 

I drove about 5 hrs to Richmond, VA  last Friday to visit some friends and meet-up with my wife for the weekend (she's  currently living with our daughter's family in NoVA until I eventually move in -told ya it was complicated). We had some snacks and were about ready for dinner and I went into CARDIAC ARREST. I was only gone about 60 seconds before being revived via CPR. Went to the hospital, it wasn't a heart attack, but there was a bit of lingering arrhythmia, so they did a cath on Monday, and that resulted in 4 stints and  the next day an ICD implant, and I was released on Wed. I have some mobility restrictions so I had to come to my daughter's place for few weeks -340 miles from my pepper plants.  :banghead: But I have a friend near my house that can keep them going I think.

But the plus side is, I'm alive. :D
I think I can get back in time to plant annums with no problem so I'm still mostly positive on the season overall.

Carry on. :)

Wow. I was just getting caught up on your glog and was going to compliment you on that awesome looking soil you have going before I got to your last post. That's scary stuff, for sure! That happened to my uncle several years ago. He got it all straightened out and has since recovered (with a few lifestyle changes). 
     Glad to hear you have family to help out. I hope the worst is behind you!

JJJessee said:

But the plus side is, I'm alive. :D

The "like" is for this ^ ! 

Whew!
I'm back in the southwest of VA -finally.

Sawyer said:
Holy cow, Carl!  Glad you pulled through.  Peppers can wait; take care of yourself.
Thanks. The peppers have been very patient and my neighbor kept them watered for me and they look pretty good. 
Better than me, at least. ;)

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Wow. I was just getting caught up on your glog and was going to compliment you on that awesome looking soil you have going before I got to your last post. That's scary stuff, for sure! That happened to my uncle several years ago. He got it all straightened out and has since recovered (with a few lifestyle changes). 
     Glad to hear you have family to help out. I hope the worst is behind you!

The "like" is for this ^ ! 

Thanks, man. Yes, I too have been strongly urged to make some changes.
And I'm pretty motivated considering my preview of the alternative.

Ozzy2001 said:
Wow that's crazy take care of yourself.
Thanks, and that's my intent.

maximumcapsicum said:
!!! Feel better man !!! I hear capsaicin is a good anti inflammatory. Could help?
Thanks, Adam. I've already been thinking along fitting hot peppers into my new dietary protocols. :D

stickman said:
Big Ouch! Sorry as H*** to hear of your troubles, but glad you're doing better now. We're pullin' for ya!
Thanks, Rick. I'm feeling better everyday.

Devv said:
No fun reading that Carl!

That's some scarey stuff!

Getting older isn't easy, but the alternative is not good.

Take care of yourself!

Thanks, Scott. Yes, I experienced some of the alternative and it's not high on my bucket list.

Pulpiteer said:
Oh wow that's scary! Glad you're ok. Heal up and if you are in a spot at harvest time where you need peppers you know we'll have your back. Take care of yourself and hopefully the peppers don't miss a beat.
Thanks, Andy. Looks like I'm going to make it, at least a little longer. I've got about 2 more weeks and a Dr appt before I'm  declared fully shovel-ready again.
My existing beds were in pretty good shape before I nearly checked out, so hopefully neither me nor the peppers will miss too many more beats.

Jeff H said:
:eek: take care of yourself JJJ. Glad you pulled through.

Scary.
Thanks, me too! :eek:
Turns out my friend who administered CPR on me had brought 2 other people back before me.
So it happened at just the right time considering I only see him a few times per year and I mostly live alone.

TrentL said:
Damn JJJ! Glad you are OK, man!
Thanks, Trent. They say I could make a full recovery if I choose to and in fact lose about 50lbs.

My plant tender in my absents went above beyond the call of duty.
I didn't have many peppers going just yet and everything looked pretty good.

From left to right;
Red Bhut
Carolina Reaper
Fatalli
TS CARDI
a pair of Fidalgo Roxa to bonchi
another pair of Fidalgo Roxa to bonchi
a pair of Inca Red Drops to bonchi
another pair of Inca Red Drops (plus a pair of Goat's Weed) to bonchi  These need to be separated soon.

I think my Charapita is a no-germ. I'll re-sow.

The Manzanos

Both of these are almost 4 months now. 
Amazing how different in size they are considering they've been treated the same and the seeds came from the same pod from last July.

My watering help even kept several of my greens trays watered while I recovered.

Going forward....
Worst, I need to get my fruit trees trimmed, but think  I can wait a little on the brambles -I hope.

Thanks for reading.

Hey, JJJ, glad to see you (almost) back in the saddle.  Your plants are looking great.

JJJessee said:
Whew!
I'm back in the southwest of VA -finally.  And welcome back!

Thanks, Adam. I've already been thinking along fitting hot peppers into my new dietary protocols. :D  I try to keep up with the capsaicin research and there are new benefits being reported almost weekly, it seems.

Thanks, Scott. Yes, I experienced some of the alternative and it's not high on my bucket list.  Pretty much at the very, very bottom of mine.

Thanks, Trent. They say I could make a full recovery if I choose to and in fact lose about 50lbs.  I'd be happy to lose 25 or 30.

My plant tender in my absents went above beyond the call of duty.
My watering help even kept several of my greens trays watered while I recovered.  It's good to have friends like that.

Your plant tender really pulled through - things look great! I mean all in all it's a minor thing compared to living, but hey, that's nice to know.  And yeah, it did happen at the right time if you're with the guy who knows how to bring people back with  CPR instead of being alone.  Boy, I'm glad you're ok - someone was looking out for you.

Carl, buddy!  You had quite a round there, my friend!  I'm glad you had
immediate help and have pulled through okay.  Those first minutes are
crucial.  Those stents will help keep the load off your ticker for a long time!

Have fun getting back into the swing of things.

You're so lucky you were where you were when the "event" happened. And I'm glad to see the prognosis is good. 50lbs is nothing, I lost 40 in 2000 @ 1.5 lb a week. I cut portions, sweets, and fried foods. But I never punished myself.

Good on your care taker for doing such a great job keeping thing rolling while you re-cooped.

Take care of yourself! 85-90 is a long way off and you need to be there ;)

Back