• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JJJ Glog 2015....Peppers,Peppers,Peppers.....

Peppers,Peppers,Peppers.....

This starts my third Grow Log on THP.

And “I (as we all promise) am cutting back this year”, but we'll all struggle not to plant willy-nilly way more than we can easily get in the ground, consume, or harvest for next summer. There are many less innocent passions to pursue so, “what the hay?” My goal as far as cut-back, is to not end up with more that 45 plants in the ground about the end of May. But the “sowing itch” could make that 60 in a heart beat.

It's about time to get some soil made up. Last year I think for the first time I started to really get a handle and some decent results in the making of container soils, due mostly to the advice of Ganjagirl on a 420 site. Plus, I tried some plain ol' coir with hydro nutes and that  works as good as soil. Even grew some tomatoe transplants in pure, well-composted oak leaves and guano tea. Worked just fine. I made a trip to an organic farm supply last September and stocked up to add to what a scrounge up locally. I have some bricks of coir and a bale of sphagnum already soaking, worm casting, azomite, kelp, perlite, vermiculite, compost, composted oak leaves, glacial rock dust, oyster shell grit, dolomite, and a few other goodies at the ready to start thinking seriously about a final recipe. [SIZE=10pt]Thirty days is good to let everything meld before sowing in, but 60 days is better. So it's none too early.[/SIZE]

I'm still looking for that magic start date that gets the best-sized transplant plant in the ground with plenty of time to ripen fruit. The super-hots, manzanos, and a few others are the main lots that I want to time-tweak. First year, supers were sown in early February, the plants were smallish (bad soil, cool grow area) at mid-May plant out. Still they made a more than adequate crop, though some varieties had a lot of green pods at frost. That can be a factor of summer heat interrupting pollination and not just immature plants. Then the there's day length...so many variables, so few equations. A lot of things work plenty well enough, I have a habit of over-thinking. The next year I started early in January, good soil and warm grow space, thinking bigger plants would produce more ripe pods and maybe sooner too. It was better, but the the plants may have been a little root bound, it was dry for a month after plant-out, for what ever reason they seemed to stall in the ground, more than just a little transplant shock, but nothing major. So this year I'm going to do a bit of a straddle. A few early January supers, but moving to a gallon pot at about 4-6 weeks. Last year, I moved a few from 3.5” to 5” but I think there wasn't enough recovery time or pot volume to make a difference from the ones that stayed in 3.5” square (deep) pots. But in the end, this year's protocols will be just slightly better educated guesses with plenty of unknowns to keep me interested.

Anyway's here is my sowing calendar for peppers subject to change (without discretion)

Sowing dates will also flex I'm sure. I just need something to help me focus and control the Itch.
I've spent a fair amount of time getting my seed database in order this past year. 

I'm doing a little less experimenting variety wise this year. Lots fewer supers, but plenty enough to heat things up. I've thought of growing supers in 5 gal SIP buckets, but before I do that I need to hook them up on a float-controlled water supply. A SIP with a big plant in it sometimes need watering everyday and I'd rather side-step that everyday thing.

One pepper that I'm getting good mileage from on the dinner plate is the Manzano. I've still got good fresh peppers in the fridge over a month old. 

I grew 6 plants and some had ripening issues, but I've got a couple of early starts already going in 5" pots.

At this rate I'll have to prune or something make it to May. Those sprouted in about 11 days and are 5 weeks from seed. 

Rather than idle my grow shelves I've been cropping lettuce and chard on them for salads since an extra cold Nov decimated my outdoor lettuce bed among other things.

This is 25 days from seeding.

I did get my garlic in the ground a little earlier this year (about a month ago) and a nice layer of composted leaves on it.

I should start giving it liquid nutes about late February.

The only real expansion I have in mind is a series of small raised beds about  30" x 48" for herbs, perennials, and what not.

Plus some 4x4 for roses, 

Maybe some wine grapes - Cabernet Franc, Chambourcin, Riesling, do OK around here.

I'll likely plant another 25 raspberries in late March.

2015 could be the year I finally start some bee hives. Ya never know.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks, guys. 

Guess I'd better do an update; or it'll be plant-out time before I know it. :D

My health is doing pretty good, I have a little dizziness when I stand up sometimes, which is kind of aggravating but that is the only medicine side effect that seems to be presenting. BP is good, weight-loss is at 18lbs  since Feb 20(about 40% of my goal) and my walking is up to 20+ miles per week at ~ 15:30 pace. Sunday I did 12 miles in 3 hrs and 8 min on our local rail-trail which is making me even more anxious to start actually running again. I'm gonna wait until I get my weight down another 7-10lbs before I start mixing in some running. Maybe my feet won't complain so much at a better running weight this time around.

Peppers
Overall all my evaluation is the peppers are a little slower than last year. Could be my home brew soil is a little less than Ocean Forest and this is the third year on my T8 bulbs. I'm thinking a little of both could be in play. Bulbs are an easy to fix. Soil tweaking that last 10% of performance is pretty hit or miss seems to me, but I think my texture could be slightly better aerated and maybe something with more free nitrogen. On the other hand, I haven't seen any aphids(knock on wood).

My oldest plants are standing by the door now waiting to get out.

One of the two Manzanos has just went bonkers and the Bolivian Rainbow is ready for some more bonchi adjustments.
If it weren't for all the rain, I'd set them outside. We're having 50L and 75H for about a week.

These 4 supers are over 2 months now

They look healthy enough and I'd gladly plant them out at this size, but think they could be a little bigger.
The dilemma is to up pot or hope for an early May plant out. I'm leaning toward upping to 2-3gal pots.

These bonchi candidates are ready for their next step.

Inca Red Drops, Fidalgo Roxa and some little Goat's Weeds hiding in there.

Here are a few Jalas

I started them a little early for my daughter since she's a zone higher than me.

My last sowing of peppers hasn't even popped yet. Here is my pepper stats overview

So far I've only been skunked on the Charapita.

I also just realized I've yet to get some pepper seed in the ground from gleanings of RichmonDave(CPR fame) at some markets in Africa and Morocco on his winter cruise, 

At the garden...

This garlic is looking a little better than previous two years. I give credit to earthworms. The community seems to be populating better each year.
We had 2 back to back nights of 24° 2 weekends ago that all but killed some early cabbage even covered. I have some replacement ready to go now though. Some Direct sow peas and sundry greens are coming up too.

Snagged my first stalk of asparagus late last week.

Should have some more ready today.

Thanks for reading.

Glad to hear your health is improving Carl!

I had a little "correction" in my health this last month, it seem better behavior is in the cards for both of us....an age thang?

Everything looks great from my house; as usual I see fantastic looking plants.

Keep it green my friend and keep a walkin'!

Glad to hear you're on the mend, JJJ.  All your plants are looking healthy and ready to go.  I had the same experience with Charapita, but that's not the only one I had 0% with.  I blame old seed. 

Your garlic is looking good.  Is it any special variety?  How are the other alliums doing?  My shallots and potato onions have survived the winter and are starting to take off now.  Likewise with the garlic and walking onions.

JJJessee said:
...I have a little dizziness when I stand upmetimes...

You know, some people will pay extra for that.

Congrats on getting your walking legs back, Carl!  15'30 is a totally
respectable walking pace!  I try to get in 5 miles in 1'15-1'17 every day.  
At almost 69, that's about what I'm comfortable with   :cool:

Good luck getting on top of your grow - sounds like decent temps 
in your neighborhood.  We're still flirting with low 40's and even
some high 30's in this neck o' the woods.

No aphids   :party: !

Thanks, y'all.

Paul, that's a fantastic habit (and pace!) I'm developing a bad case of runner's itch. And walking just makes it worse. Maybe I'll wise up someday ;)

I did get my bonchi starts moved into bigger shoes. I'm hoping to fuse pairs, or three actually on the Goat's weed.

I may leave them in these pots all summer or I may move them to 5 gals when the time comes. Advice welcome.

John, the alliums came through winter perfectly, I did keep a light cover on them mainly for a wind break, it really helped. In fact I divided and transplanted the shallots and tater onions today.

Tater onions (I think)

6 shallot bulbs last fall turned into about 48 really healthy starts today, the tater onions were more like 3:1 splits. (unless I've got them mis-labeled) Haven't moved the walking onions yet. I even used the the tater onion green trimmings in my salad tonight.
These are especially appreciated since my onion starts this spring are nothing to brag about. I've set out the better ones but they've got a long way to grow to match last years alliums.

Though you can't see 'em, I put some bunching onions and leeks out last week. They have taken hold, but what I seeded is way, way small. 

Y'all take care.

JJJessee said:
John, the alliums came through winter perfectly, I did keep a light cover on them mainly for a wind break, it really helped. In fact I divided and transplanted the shallots and tater onions today.

Tater onions (I think)

6 shallot bulbs last fall turned into about 48 really healthy starts today, the tater onions were more like 3:1 splits. (unless I've got them mis-labeled) Haven't moved the walking onions yet. I even used the the tater onion green trimmings in my salad tonight.
These are especially appreciated since my onion starts this spring are nothing to brag about. I've set out the better ones but they've got a long way to grow to match last years alliums.

Looking good!  I think you've got the ID correct.  The shallots are impressively prolific; the potato onions less so.  The 2 single shallot bulbs I started with a few years ago each produced 15 bulbs.  If you ever do get them mixed up (and they do look a lot alike), just taste one and you'll know.  The shallots have that relatively mild onion/garlic cross flavor, while the potato onions are very pungent with a straight onion flavor.  Also, in a good environment (which it looks like you're providing), the individual potato onion bulbs will get much larger than the shallots.  They are said to get as large as 4", but I've never had one nearly that big.

I think I'm going to divide some of mine and let some mature as they are.  I've done both before, but never in the same season.  I took some pictures of mine yesterday, but don't know if I'll get them posted.

Hi Carl, glad to hear your health is steadily improving and you're getting down to "fighting weight". Your garden looks excellent as usual... I'm jealous of your asparagus, but it'll be out in profusion here in another 5-6 weeks. Keep on truckin', you're on a roll!

Your transplants look great, Carl!   As for bonchi potential, I'd let them
grow big all summer so they get nice big stalks and develop some
gnarly roots at the crown, then you'll have something to work with.

Back