• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

jolokia oleoresin?????????????

the tip of a toothpick,in my sauce,ect.I mean has anyone ever heard of,or tried making it?

Given margarine is considered really really bad for ones health (way more than butter), why would one want to ruin a perfectly good Capsicum? Especially a Jolokia? Just my opinion; cheers.

Cap is cap no matter what pepper it comes from. The only difference is some peppers have more than others the end product is the same......and why would you ruin it by making an oleoresin with that nasty "chemical" flavor??

Go for it! I wonder if jolokias have more cap then say orange habs. I know they are a lot hotter, but does that mean they produce more cap? Would be an interesting experiment for someone.

Yes it means they have MOAR OIL! True as far as i know anyway.

Put it this way, a 10 gram Pepper at 500,000 shu would have half the cap content of a 10 gram Pepper at 1,000,000 shu.

Makes sense to me anyway :D

Cap is cap no matter what pepper it comes from. The only difference is some peppers have more than others the end product is the same......and why would you ruin it by making an oleoresin with that nasty "chemical" flavor??

+1 The end result is the same using any pepper, you'll just get more using hotter peppers.
Jolokia just means pepper, but I assume you mean bhut/nagas

1)I know what's in it if I make it myself.2)I strive to be independent,like a pioneer,if I want or need it I make,grow cook it myself if at all possible.3)Having done this with habenero's with excellent results(no metal,Chemical taste)we want to make jolokia FLAVORED products.

What do you use for a solvent? and what type of jolokias are you using?
Everclear,Bhuts.Here's what I got;1/4 l.b.Bhuts,ground to a pulp in a mortar and pestle,grind in 5 oz of everclear 1 at a time.Let stand overnite in covered container.Stir now and then.Stain through strainer and filter.Microwave 2 min. at a time on low power to evaporate liquid without letting it boil...looks like about a teaspoon of pure oil.Comparatively I have yielded 4 oz. of oil from 10 l.b. of habenero's.

Back