• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JoynersHotPepper 2015 Pepper Party

So far behind this year, have not even made a list for 2015. This shall be the week to shed the lazy!

10423817_949848828382177_1789482448508038820_n.png

D3monic said:
They get big enough to split out the husks. Once they outgrow their husks is when I usually start to pick them. 

attachicon.gif
tom1.jpg
Thanks D3. Have not seen that happen yet, but a few that I have felt through the husks are getting close to filling it up.

tctenten said:
Hopefully you or Chris can help....how do you know when the tomatillos are supposed to be picked?

First time growing them for me.

Here is your answer:
D3monic said:

They get big enough to split out the husks. Once they outgrow their husks is when I usually start to pick them. 

attachicon.gif
tom1.jpg

Or they finally fall off of the plant and you pick them off of the ground (I'm not that patient) but that is how ground cherries are harvested (cousin to the tomatillo)

Jeff H said:

Here is your answer:

Or they finally fall off of the plant and you pick them off of the ground (I'm not that patient) but that is how ground cherries are harvested (cousin to the tomatillo)

That makes sense. My ground cherries never seem ripe on the vine and every time I find them dropped that they look about ready. I pretty much gave up on the little bastards. My dogs love them though. 

Jeff H said:
Here is your answer:

That is interesting because I keep finding very small brown husks on the ground with marble sized fruits in them. I just assumed they were falling due to the weather or some other reason. There are much larger green husks that look like the pic that D3 put up there, but they are still on the plants.

tctenten said:
Chris have you had any ripe MW's  yet?  I am getting some that are changing color now.
Have a few almost at 100%, snap a shot tomorrow. 
tctenten said:
That is interesting because I keep finding very small brown husks on the ground with marble sized fruits in them. I just assumed they were falling due to the weather or some other reason. There are much larger green husks that look like the pic that D3 put up there, but they are still on the plants.
None ready yet for me but looking forward to the purple fruits breaking out of the husks! 

Fantastic looking pods and the mystery wines look tasty. Have read about them for a while but wasn't able to get any for this season. That reaper sounds like a winner, can't wait to see it.

I didn't take any pics tonight, but they were nice sized pods. I picked 14 and they weighed 8.4 oz in total. I did lose one plant to that fungus and the three others that were in the vicinity are still doing ok. The plant I have in a 25 gallon root pouch is a monster and just really loaded with pods. I am trying to isolate a few flowers, but have not been able to yet.

tctenten said:
I didn't take any pics tonight, but they were nice sized pods. I picked 14 and they weighed 8.4 oz in total. I did lose one plant to that fungus and the three others that were in the vicinity are still doing ok. The plant I have in a 25 gallon root pouch is a monster and just really loaded with pods. I am trying to isolate a few flowers, but have not been able to yet.
The one I have 100% isolated is a beautiful plant and yet to set a pod. I am giving it two more days then it gets to be free, I have not had a single seed thus far not grow true so why waste a beautiful plant. 

Back